Tram Trains thread

Very unfortunate that the accident should occur on the first day of Tramtrain operation, but as many have said it could have been any day since the system first opened. Curious that no reports I've heard refer to the tram slamming on the brakes, or have I missed that?

Unfortunate too for the company who own the truck. It seem to be locally based. Having the tram hitting it immediately behind the passenger door marked "BLIND SPOT" rather underlines that one, maybe both, drivers were distracted. The sun would have been quite bright in both their eyes at that time.

Good old Sheffield, with our roads and our trams and our lorries and our traffic lights, all coming together, joining hands, singing Kum-Ba-Yah. . .. Oh Lord . . . Dear God . . . Kum-ba-Yah :roll:

Having the tram hitting it immediately behind the passenger door marked "BLIND SPOT" rather underlines that one, maybe both, drivers were distracted. The sun would have been quite bright in both their eyes at that time.

The tram-train was travelling South-South West and the truck was travelling South East so the sun would have been in the tram driver's peripheral vision and behind the truck driver so not sure that it would have played much of a part in the collision.

If the reports that the tram train was 'clear to proceed' are correct, then the truck either ran the red lights or stalled across the junction.

The next section to be built should be out to Stocksbridge and surrounding villages the track is there ,it would be a big boost to the area especially for the new housing under construction and the ex paper mill site.

should be extended to meadowhead first

---------- Post added 26-10-2018 at 20:49 ----------

the incident usually the tram has right of way when the tram says go the traffic stops so i would say the lorry driver is the one that could be at fault got to have gone at decent speed to cause the damage too

If the reports that the tram train was 'clear to proceed' are correct, then the truck either ran the red lights or stalled across the junction.

the incident usually the tram has right of way when the tram says go the traffic stops so i would say the lorry driver is the one that could be at fault got to have gone at decent speed to cause the damage too

Sheffield’s “lurry drahvers” jumping red lights ?

Never !

The tram-train was travelling South-South West and the truck was travelling South East so the sun would have been in the tram driver's peripheral vision and behind the truck driver so not sure that it would have played much of a part in the collision.

well said I do not understand why the sun is being blamed for affecting both drivers in the first place.

It is safe to say that one of the drivers may have been distracted but I would have thought that the police/Supertram/rail investigators or who ever should be able to ascertain the main facts as to the cause very quickly. Lights "green" for tram apparently yes, lorry stuck on level crossing -I do not think we are short of witnesses, lorry went through red light or traffic lights not working should be simple. true the whys and wherefores are more complex and may take more time

well said I do not understand why the sun is being blamed for affecting both drivers in the first place.

It is safe to say that one of the drivers may have been distracted but I would have thought that the police/Supertram/rail investigators or who ever should be able to ascertain the main facts as to the cause very quickly. Lights "green" for tram apparently yes, lorry stuck on level crossing -I do not think we are short of witnesses, lorry went through red light or traffic lights not working should be simple. true the whys and wherefores are more complex and may take more time

Tram had a proceed. Lorry went through a red light at quite some speed. Not much else to debate.

I did not see what any of the lights were showing but have not seen official confirmation that the lorry shot a red light only that the tram had a "proceed"

Unusually Hook I agree with you it should be a an open and shut case

I did not see what any of the lights were showing but have not seen official confirmation that the lorry shot a red light only that the tram had a "proceed"

It’s difficult - the CCTV, presumably based on statements from Supertram, shows the tram had a proceed. The lorry couldn’t therefore have had a green, but the right filter lane normally shows a green when straight on is at a red. Unless the lorry had a dash cam there will be no video evidence that the lorry passed a red. UTC can do a download of the signals at that junction which will what aspect the tram had and the state of the traffic signals.

The reason the tram was derailed so badly must be because it was ‘dragged’ by the lorry. It wouldnt move so much if the lorry was stationary. Indeed 70+ tonne of tram would have pushed the lorry in the direction of the tram’s travel.

I also understand witnesses at the scene confirmed this sequence of events.

I feel for the staff involved and the company - a day which should have been largely positive for them has been ruined by an idiot driver.

The next section to be built should be out to Stocksbridge and surrounding villages the track is there ,it would be a big boost to the area especially for the new housing under construction and the ex paper mill site.

Great idea!

Build the Supertram out the way out to Stocksbridge!

Because you've already told us you spend all your cash at Baaaaaaaaaarnsley market instead!

Any more bright ideas?

Please, keep'em coming!

Or better still, keep'em to yourself :)

It’s difficult - the CCTV, presumably based on statements from Supertram, shows the tram had a proceed. The lorry couldn’t therefore have had a green, but the right filter lane normally shows a green when straight on is at a red. Unless the lorry had a dash cam there will be no video evidence that the lorry passed a red. UTC can do a download of the signals at that junction which will what aspect the tram had and the state of the traffic signals.

The reason the tram was derailed so badly must be because it was ‘dragged’ by the lorry. It wouldnt move so much if the lorry was stationary. Indeed 70+ tonne of tram would have pushed the lorry in the direction of the tram’s travel.

I also understand witnesses at the scene confirmed this sequence of events.

I feel for the staff involved and the company - a day which should have been largely positive for them has been ruined by an idiot driver.

The tram DID push the lorry some distance in the direction of its travel right across the other side of the road as well as the lorry dragging the tram off the track and several meters up the road.

I said I had not seen any official confirmation and even though I was there on the tram I am simply trying to avoid jumping to conclusions based on hearsay because as i have said I did not see what any of the lights (tram or traffic were showing)

There were other vehicles that may have caught it on dash cam and is there CCTV.

Whilst it should be a given that road traffic lights are red when the tram has a proceed no system is 100% and faults do happen HOWEVER I am not suggesting this is the case here

That's a good point. On my recent travels to from mhall I have noticed lots of engineering work being done by tracks exactly there where that tram came from.