Tram Trains thread

The next section to be built should be out to Stocksbridge and surrounding villages the track is there ,it would be a big boost to the area especially for the new housing under construction and the ex paper mill site.

The next section to be built should be out to Stocksbridge and surrounding villages the track is there ,it would be a big boost to the area especially for the new housing under construction and the ex paper mill site.

The track isnt suitable ,and would have to be relaid after all the hammer it has taken from the freight train over the years. Also , the steel works wouldnt want it ,as they use the track to line up the steel trailers ready for the freight train to collect them. And its only a single track line ,which would mean a very limited service to Stocksbridge .

---------- Post added 25-10-2018 at 20:38 ----------

oooops :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Guest busdriver1
I was on the tram train and it was on the existing tram track either truck driver went through red light (most likely) or tram went through stop but I did not see the signals myself.

Trams going through stop signals are nothing new if that is what happened. They do it often in the city centre, I saw one do it just yesterday.

Got to agree with Dutch, the new trams rattle and are very noisy. They may have bright LED lights in the carriages but they feel cheap, I can't see these units lasting 10 years! Cheap Spanish rubbish but what can we expect from such a miserly budget, they are worse than the old T-68's that used to run on Manchester Metrolink back in the 1990's.

We needed something of real quality like the current rolling stock on Manchester's Metrolink such as the M-5000's with excellent German engineering plus they can be used as double units. Not that Supertram has anywhere near the passenger numbers, network or investment like our bigger city cousins across the Snake Pass.

Edited by Vaseline Boy

Trams going through stop signals are nothing new if that is what happened. They do it often in the city centre, I saw one do it just yesterday.

As I said I did not see the lights so refrained from allocating blame however it should be a very simple task to ascertain who was in the wrong

We should all be grateful that the tram hit the lorry as I dread to think what would have happened if the lorry had hit the tram

To be fair jumping the lights is a regular occurrence by vehicles last week I saw a car jumping the red light by some margin and there were 5 or 6 policemen on the corner who killing time after the football had kicked off who ignored it. Regularly I see cars jumping the lights at Parkside Rd going on to Wadsley lane across the tram tracks I wonder how many have been caught and prosecuted

A few years ago I was on a 52 bus that nearly got hit by a tram at this junction after the bus went through a red light, due to the driver talking to someone and not paying enough attention to his driving.

I would have thought that in this day and age, all brand new trains and trams

would have some form of on board data recorder which would alert management to all incidents of trains/trams passing red lights.

Guest busdriver1

would have some form of on board data recorder which would alert management to all incidents of trains/trams passing red lights.

Trains do have such a system and it will even apply the brakes but I believe trams do not.

---------- Post added 26-10-2018 at 11:37 ----------

A few years ago I was on a 52 bus that nearly got hit by a tram at this junction after the bus went through a red light, due to the driver talking to someone and not paying enough attention to his driving.

When I used to work in Sheffield hardly a day went by where I didn't see or worse experience a tram going through a danger signal. Top of Haymarket was a favourite.

You mention. a one off, I am talking about very regular occurrences.

Yellow Route is now open again.

Bit late after the event!

On the railway as said this is recorded and signals passed at danger is treated with great seriousness - I seem to remember one company losing its license to operate following one of it's trains passing a danger signal

Certainly the trams have CCTV to record what happened but I would be surprised if they were not also aware automatically of signals passed at danger

Trains do have such a system and it will even apply the brakes but I believe trams do not.

---------- Post added 26-10-2018 at 11:37 ----------

When I used to work in Sheffield hardly a day went by where I didn't see or worse experience a tram going through a danger signal. Top of Haymarket was a favourite.

You mention. a one off, I am talking about very regular occurrences.

See buses go through red often and they do it with professional style.

As long as we are not told why it happened we can only guess. I can think of seven possible causes there may be more but the crash has happened either way.

A real joke on the day TrTr opened, calendar news was on top of it and they were laughing.

According to Look North, the initial investigation has shown that the tram train was 'clear to proceed' across the junction when the accident occurred. This was after viewing CCTV footage but didn't say whether this was from the cab of the tram-train or street footage.