Tram Trains thread

The new trams are longer than the old ones and logically they are the same width and have 10 more seats plus room for 140 standees .

The internal carriage design can have a major influence on passenger comfort as well as technical capacity despite the external mechanical dimensions being the same.

I've travelled in cars physically larger than my own but had less internal space due to it's design.

new tram has 2 more seats, 5 less standing than 100 series according to link :

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/supertram/tram-train

There must be 2 hidden seats on the existing trams as I've only managed to count 84. :)

We'll see how well the 3 new trams work when they're included on the main yellow/blue routes at busy times...

The trams (train/trams) are made somewhere near Valencia and are the same as the ones that run betweem Benidorm and Alicante where they run sometimes on railway line and sometime on the street. I believe that's the idea between Sheffield and Rotherham. Not been on ours yet but the seats are hard on the spanish ones and the journey is about an hour and a half.

The narrow gauge Alicante Benidorm line does not share track with national main line freight and passenger trains.

The Sheffield Rotherham project is about finding if it is possible to allow city type trams to run on and with mainline trains in the UK. If the project fails at least we will have some new trams.

The trams do not run through to Parkgate yet.

The trams do not run through to Parkgate yet.

What route are they currently covering??

What route are they currently covering??

Daytime Blue and Yellow.

I can't be sure but I think there is some technical niggle about running to Herdings.

They’re only running on or rather allocated to Purple at the moment but there may be odd runs on other routes, as and when required/possible.

The technical issue at Herdings has mostly been fixed so they can run there now, since last weekend.

A lot of european trams have plastic/wooden seats .

Sheffield trams had them with backs that hinged on some versions.

Having had the chance to sample these a few times over the last week they're very pleasant indeed, they are noticeable slower off the mark and I have noticed they seem to hold up the schedule far more than the Siemens trams.

There are a few nice passenger features that people may not be aware of, if you press the door open control whilst the tram is moving those doors will automatically open once released by the driver, also If you press the request to stop within the wheelchair area both doors on that particular part of the vehicle will open when released.

They also appear to have overhauled the announcements, whilst they've unfortunately lost their local slant they are much clearer and give local information as opposed to just the stop name - 'Granville Rd for Sheffield College' , 'Sheffield station for Sheffield Hallam University' , 'Shalesmoor for Kelham Island' etc.

When they do enter service to Rotherham, that route will be the red route.

Having had the chance to sample these a few times over the last week they're very pleasant indeed, they are noticeable slower off the mark and I have noticed they seem to hold up the schedule far more than the Siemens trams.

There are a few nice passenger features that people may not be aware of, if you press the door open control whilst the tram is moving those doors will automatically open once released by the driver, also If you press the request to stop within the wheelchair area both doors on that particular part of the vehicle will open when released.

They also appear to have overhauled the announcements, whilst they've unfortunately lost their local slant they are much clearer and give local information as opposed to just the stop name - 'Granville Rd for Sheffield College' , 'Sheffield station for Sheffield Hallam University' , 'Shalesmoor for Kelham Island' etc.

When they do enter service to Rotherham, that route will be the red route.

It will NOT be the red route. You cannot use red on network rail for fairly obvious reasons.

It will NOT be the red route. You cannot use red on network rail for fairly obvious reasons.

Or yellow, which is why people working on the railway wear orange hi-vis, although the front of trains can be yellow as there's no chance of it being mistaken for a signal flag.

Green- it has been used before- but it will be difficult for some to distinguish from Yellow which will be using the same route.

Now that they use colours and letters it may not be a problem.

Green- it has been used before- but it will be difficult for some to distinguish from Yellow which will be using the same route.

Now that they use colours and letters it may not be a problem.

Won't be green either - same reason as red. The colour of the route could be confused as being a signal to other drivers.

Won't be green either - same reason as red. The colour of the route could be confused as being a signal to other drivers.

As there has been a Green route in the past, the confusion bit is/was not seen as an issue on the tram only route as they do not use coloured signals.

I do not know the logic but if they use Green (or orange) on the railway it could be confused with a Green or Orange proceed light and therefore if misread into possible danger.

Yellow and blue already in use.

White is an approaching train and cannot be used.

My understanding is it will be Red as if misread it would mean stop.