Tram Trains thread

6 minutes ago, bjones787 said:

The TramTrain involved is back in service - sort of, the undamaged third of this one (204) has been married up to the undamaged two thirds of the one involved in the second accident (202) to create a hybrid 202.  The now completely broken one will be sent back to Spain I believe to be rebuilt as new.

Everything should be based on the lego system.

8 hours ago, alexander874 said:

Speed limit has dropped to 20 mph on the tram line.

15mph. 

7 hours ago, bjones787 said:

The TramTrain involved is back in service - sort of, the undamaged third of this one (204) has been married up to the undamaged two thirds of the one involved in the second accident (202) to create a hybrid 202.  The now completely broken one will be sent back to Spain I believe to be rebuilt as new.

It is being repaired - not rebuilt. 

7 hours ago, dutch said:

I took tram on that line several times prior to the accident and the main focus of these about four engineers was on some equipment on a box near the rails by that intersection.

Personally have had problems with poor connections before. Of coarse its pure speculation but having done engineering work myself I know just some vibrations or temperature changes can mess up a high tech smart system telling an intersection a tram is coming. All those connectors of sensors and other connections in boxes by the line there must be absolutely perfect and I have seen perfect connections fail more than once in my life.

Being as a) the tram driver had a proceed and b) the lorry driver has been charged with passing a red light (or more formally contravention of a red light) it’s high unlikely that there was anything wrong with the junction. 

In addition any abnormality in the signalling system at any road/tram junction (including something as small as a traffic light bulb blowing) will result in the entire system turning off in 35 MILLIseconds. So fast you wouldn’t even notice something had gone wrong - and therefore forcing all drivers to use caution af the junction. Tram drivers CANNOT pass through a junction which has a signal failure without permission from control. 

Seen on Twitter

• We are unfortunately unable to run any Tram/Train services until further notice.This follows advice by the manufacturer,Stadler,that we need to temporarily withdraw the fleet. A further update will be provided as soon as we have been updated by Stadler.

Anybody know what’s up and if there will be enough of the older trams for normal service on rest of the network on Monday ?

22 hours ago, SquirrelFeeder said:

Seen on Twitter

• We are unfortunately unable to run any Tram/Train services until further notice.This follows advice by the manufacturer,Stadler,that we need to temporarily withdraw the fleet. A further update will be provided as soon as we have been updated by Stadler.

Anybody know what’s up and if there will be enough of the older trams for normal service on rest of the network on Monday ?

the classic tram network currently only has 2 of the new Citylink trams operating the service, the rest are the old Siemens trams. I guess there will still be enough trams to provide the full service as long as none are required to be taken off for maintenance beyond what is normally done on nights.

The other 4 Citylinks are tram-trains (3 for the passenger service and one on maintenance).

I assume an announcement will be made in due course and it will be in Stadler's interest to get them up and running as soon as possible, their reputation in the UK isn't great at the moment given Greater Anglia train company are having issues with their new Stadler trains!

This could have a financial impact on travellers between Rotherham and Sheffield who have bought a monthly tram pass.  I can imagine it will hit Parkgate shopping centre too, and just before Christmas!

On 14/12/2019 at 20:19, SquirrelFeeder said:

Seen on Twitter

Brakes fell off it apparently. Hope they haven’t been running unsafe vehicles on the network, especially the heavy rail network for this amount of time!

10 hours ago, Ms Macbeth said:

This could have a financial impact on travellers between Rotherham and Sheffield who have bought a monthly tram pass.  I can imagine it will hit Parkgate shopping centre too, and just before Christmas!

I would be very surprised if tickets were not accepted on trains and buses even if stagecoach can not be bothered to provide replacement bus service

Guest busdriver1
3 hours ago, Bigal1 said:

I would be very surprised if tickets were not accepted on trains and buses even if stagecoach can not be bothered to provide replacement bus service

For the fairly low number of passengers using the parkgate to meadowhall section Northern rail are accepting the tram train tickets as are stagecoach buses so no issues should be incurred. The rest is covered by the normal tram network .

21 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

For the fairly low number of passengers using the parkgate to meadowhall section Northern rail are accepting the tram train tickets as are stagecoach buses so no issues should be incurred. The rest is covered by the normal tram network .

Did not think northern trains stopped at Parkgate

Guest busdriver1
1 hour ago, Bigal1 said:

Did not think northern trains stopped at Parkgate

They dont but stagecoach buses do

yes, a half hourly service resumed this afternoon https://www.stagecoachbus.com/news/yorkshire/2019/december/tram-train-service-update with the third tram per hour due to be restored once the full fleet is available.

Note the new evening timetable is now in operation, the last trips now depart later in the evening - Mon-Sat this is 2244 from Cathedral and 2316 from Parkgate.

Edited by Andy C