Tram Trains thread

If the problem at Parkgate do they go at least from cathedral to Meadowhall?

I believe that they aren't bothering, as the Yellow Route serves that part of the network - at the moment, unless there's another tram failure....!

went out to Parkgate yesterday and the Pids were still not providing tram train times but instead a message suggesting that for information passengers speak to a member of staff (even though there are no staff apart from the tram crews when it is there) or use twitter - mind you did notice that there now appears to be a help point so perhaps message should have read to use the help point

reliability will be a problem especially with the service frequency not being equal would hate to just miss the xx.09 at Parkgate and wait for the xx.31 only to find it is cancelled worse still if only found out when it did not appear

Interesting there are plans to run tram trains in S Wales that have been announced without waiting for the results of the "experiment"

Edited by amnicoll

If you look at Real Time Trains you’ll see that this is due to tram trains being held at Parkgate due to a late running Northern service. Not sure what you expect Supertram to do about that?

wait wait wait, a delay on the rail networks now affects Supertram ?

Oh dear . . .

I've been living near to the tram tracks at Hillsborough for about ten years now and I'm more than used to the noise of the trams going by- like a gentle rumble as I'm close by, but not too close.

Recently I've noticed the noise from the trams has been getting much louder and it seems to be the new trams that are causing the problem. When one of the train-trams goes by it's almost like it's shaking the whole house. I can't imagine what it'd be like for the people who live closer to the tracks.

Anyway, I was wondering if this was just my imagination or if anybody else has noticed the same?

As a side note, I've noticed that the track beds seem to have degraded quite a lot too, lots of them seem to be cracked and have big chunks missing. I wonder if this could be linked? :huh:

I've been living near to the tram tracks at Hillsborough for about ten years now and I'm more than used to the noise of the trams going by- like a gentle rumble as I'm close by, but not too close.

Recently I've noticed the noise from the trams has been getting much louder and it seems to be the new trams that are causing the problem. When one of the train-trams goes by it's almost like it's shaking the whole house. I can't imagine what it'd be like for the people who live closer to the tracks.

Anyway, I was wondering if this was just my imagination or if anybody else has noticed the same?

As a side note, I've noticed that the track beds seem to have degraded quite a lot too, lots of them seem to be cracked and have big chunks missing. I wonder if this could be linked? :huh:

Do the new class 399 trams run to Hillsborough? I thought that they could only run to Cathedral due to the dual wheelprofile.

Do the new class 399 trams run to Hillsborough? I thought that they could only run to Cathedral due to the dual wheelprofile.

Yes I've caught the new train-trams a couple of times on the Yellow Route in Hillsborough during early trials.

Only 4 out of the 7 have the different wheels, the other 3 can and do go everywhere on the network.

I live on Park Grange Road and they do make a distinctly different noise, it's much more of a grinding rumble compared to the usual squeal of the Siemens ones - I suspect the extra 20t of weight per vehicle contributes somewhat to that!

They are much noisier on tramline and really silent on train lines. Big difference.

Only 4 out of the 7 have the different wheels, the other 3 can and do go everywhere on the network.

I live on Park Grange Road and they do make a distinctly different noise, it's much more of a grinding rumble compared to the usual squeal of the Siemens ones - I suspect the extra 20t of weight per vehicle contributes somewhat to that!

It is certainly true that the tram/trains running to Rotherham have different wheel settings from those operating on the tram routes (not a technical descriptor here as it is more to do with the flanges).From what I understand all seven of the new trams can have the wheels set for either mode depending on where they are operating so can either run on the yellow/blue/purple routes or alternatively on the Rotherham route depending on the wheel setting. I am not sure how long it takes to re-set the wheels from one mode to the other probably a couple of hours but I am sure someone more technical than me might know

It is certainly true that the tram/trains running to Rotherham have different wheel settings from those operating on the tram routes (not a technical descriptor here as it is more to do with the flanges).From what I understand all seven of the new trams can have the wheels set for either mode depending on where they are operating so can either run on the yellow/blue/purple routes or alternatively on the Rotherham route depending on the wheel setting. I am not sure how long it takes to re-set the wheels from one mode to the other probably a couple of hours but I am sure someone more technical than me might know

Days not hours, as I’ve previously told you in this very thread.

I mentioned this earlier. I went on one of the new trams to town and they make a hell of a noise.

Days not hours, as I’ve previously told you in this very thread.

Sorry but where exactly have you posted how long it takes to change the wheels and what official support can you back this up with? Evidence please