Tram Trains thread

If you look at Real Time Trains you’ll see that this is due to tram trains being held at Parkgate due to a late running Northern service. Not sure what you expect Supertram to do about that?

And that's the sort of issue an experiment is designed to identify and deal with before extending further. Quite a big consideration I'd imagine if we want a reliable service on both tram and train routes.

If you look at Real Time Trains you’ll see that this is due to tram trains being held at Parkgate due to a late running Northern service. Not sure what you expect Supertram to do about that?

Thanks Hook - it would have been helpful if Supertram had bothered to offer this explanation within their tweet...

I get that, but the poster I was replying to suggested that the trams which used to run to Meadowhall during a week day (which was always a Siemens tram) could be used to run to Parkgate. I didn’t understand how your point was related to that, that’s what confused me.

As usual you have got the wrong end of the stick. I was never suggesting that the old trams could run to Rotherham but there remain 3 of the new tram train ones that could . what I was saying was that there was (or should be) extra availabilty of trams as those that used to run on the Purple route to Meadowhall no longer do so it is irrelevant when they were withdrawn

As usual you have got the wrong end of the stick. I was never suggesting that the old trams could run to Rotherham but there remain 3 of the new tram train ones that could . what I was saying was that there was (or should be) extra availabilty of trams as those that used to run on the Purple route to Meadowhall no longer do so it is irrelevant when they were withdrawn

You ignored entirely what I said in the original post (again!) and chose to ignore it (again!)which is why I picked on the inaccuracies in your post - feel free to go back and read it. I’m not going to repeat myself.

More problems yesterday:-

"Stagecoach Supertram

Stagecoach Supertram

@SCSupertram

Due to delays the 20:58 Tram train departure from Parkgate is cancelled.

8:48 pm · 31 Oct 2018"

Appears that Supertram are still having difficulties running a frequency of 3 trams an hour to the timetable - on a route which is almost entirely "off highway"....

If this becomes the case more regularly, I can see many not even bothering with the service. It's already an half-arsed attempt anyway, why could a 20 minute service not have been planned? It's been years in the making and plenty of time to change the train/tram timetables to fit around a 20 minute service, rather than 2 within 10 minutes then nothing for 20/30 minutes!

It's also appalling how they just cancel runs, rather than run them. How are people at Cathedral supposed to know the tram service has been cancelled on an already infrequent and irregular service with no announcements or visual aids unless you have Twitter?

It is interesting to see the majority of people are pass holders (OAP/Disabled) as they can travel free, where as fare paying passengers tend to be sticking with the train, which only takes 10-12 minutes from Rotherham and even with a connection in Sheffield onto the Blue/Purple service, can still beat the TramTrain service to the Cathedral.

Between Parkgate/Rotherham and Meadowhall loadings seem pretty light too, yet the X1/X78 buses are still standing loads. Frequency/convenience vs. speed/reliability maybe?

Guest busdriver1

Between Parkgate/Rotherham and Meadowhall loadings seem pretty light too, yet the X1/X78 buses are still standing loads. Frequency/convenience vs. speed/reliability maybe?

I suspect there is also a resistance to using it as "the Tram" is a sheffield thing and was not wanted in Rotherham by the vast majority in the first place. There is also the fact that the rail station is not that well located for the shopping area in Rotherham with folks having to walk past the temporary bus station with its frequent service to get to the tram with its infrequent service.

I see that the PTE are proposing to extend bus 27 - which currently runs between Crystal Peaks & Rotherham - beyond Rotherham & on to Parkgate, on Monday to Fridays only.

Wonder whether this might take passengers away from the Tram Train...?

It has been pretty clear by now that tramtrain is supposed to be some expensive playfull experiment. Not a service called for or needed by the public. It happens often in this country that public doesnt get what it needs and the money investments goes elsewhere in comical ways with style.

"Stagecoach Supertram@SCSupertram

Due to a points failure at Parkgate, the tram train services are currently suspended."

10:45am today....

Due to a points failure at Parkgate, the tram train services are currently suspended."

X1 or X78 bus it is then. At least they’re more frequent than the tram-train anyway!

Guest busdriver1
I see that the PTE are proposing to extend bus 27 - which currently runs between Crystal Peaks & Rotherham - beyond Rotherham & on to Parkgate, on Monday to Fridays only.

Wonder whether this might take passengers away from the Tram Train...?

A cleverly disguised fact that they propose to interwork it with the 22a/22c. Beware of PTE spin. The same spin says that the 22a/22c will run through to the hospital. 2 new "links" for the price of a bit of spin. Personally I dont see a great deal of trade for the tram train once all the pensioners have had their day out there

If the problem at Parkgate do they go at least from cathedral to Meadowhall?