Tram Trains thread

So basically the First day and weekly savers will be cheaper after the promotional period? And they are more frequent too (10 fast buses per hour vs. 3 trams per hour). Will be interesting to see how it goes and if it does indeed take off.

First - South Yorkshire £5 daysaver/£20 weeksaver vs. Stagecoach - South Yorkshire £6.50 explorer/£22 megarider Gold.

presumably at the end of the promotional period there will be a Sheffield+Rotherham version of the tram only ticket rather than making people pay for unwanted bus travel!

It should prove popular, being on segregated railway all the way from Parkgate to Sheffield City Centre it should be reliable and the journey is reasonably quick. In contrast the buses tend to suffer very badly from traffic congestion now and again, particularly around Parkgate and Meadowhall.

---------- Post added 14-10-2018 at 13:30 ----------

So, here is a hopefully simple summary of the fares

TRAVEL SHEFFIELD-ROTHERHAM BY TRAM

single 2.50

dayrider 4.00

7 day Megarider 14.00

28 day Megarider 50.00

local journeys - between Parkgate-Sheffield Arena a single is 1.80 or a return is 3.00

TRAVEL SHEFFIELD-ROTHERHAM WITH BUS TRAVEL ALSO INCLUDED

Stagecoach Day Explorer - valid in South Yorkshire, Derbyshire and Notinghamshire 6.50

Stagecoach Megarider Gold 7 day - valid same area as Explorer, 22.00

Stagecoach Megarider Gold 28 day - 85.00

South Yorkshire Connect - all buses and trams in South Yorkshire

1 day 6.60

7 day 23.00

28 day 86.00

There are also SY Connect+ and SY Railmaster passes that include both tram and train.

BUS AND TRAM PASSES - JUST IN ROTHERHAM

Dearne Valley Bus & Tram Dayrider & Megarider and R-Connect tickets are available to use on the tram Parkgate-Meadowhall.

BUS AND TRAM PASSES - JUST IN SHEFFIELD

the existing Sheffield tickets are valid on tram-train between Cathedral and Meadowhall South.

Edited by Andy C

Guest busdriver1

Personally I dont see it picking up a lot of traffic as has been noted, there are several buses already serving the route and unlike the tram train they go to the Meadowhall interchange and the City Centre proper rather than just the studenty areas.

Personally I dont see it picking up a lot of traffic as has been noted, there are several buses already serving the route and unlike the tram train they go to the Meadowhall interchange and the City Centre proper rather than just the studenty areas.

Meadowhall South is just as close to the shops as the Interchange. In Sheffield the X78 just drops into Sheffield Interchange, the X1 does Arundel Gate and Moorfoot but the tram does Cathedral which is the same kind of area and connections are available up West Street.

The X1 and X78 gets a lot of complaints about reliability and often get stuck in gridlocked traffic around Meadowhall if the shopping centre is busy, there is an event on or the M1 has problems.

Meanwhile the road between Parkgate and Rotherham town centre regularly grinds to a halt with traffic whereas the tram dashes along the railway line in just 3 minutes.

I suspect there may be quite a number of passengers that will buy SY Connect tickets valid on both bus and tram and will just use whatever is most convenient at the time they are travelling.

Tram-train may affect travel patterns of current train passengers too, after all it runs up into the City Centre rather than Sheffield Station and passengers can interchange at Rotherham Central. Also not to forget of course Northern is on strike every Saturday until mid November.

Edited by Andy C

Guest busdriver1
Meadowhall South is just as close to the shops as the Interchange.

Do people actually go to the shops in Meadowhall. The thought never occurred to me. Seriously.

---------- Post added 14-10-2018 at 17:47 ----------

In Sheffield the X78 just drops into Sheffield Interchange,

A big plus for me, The X78 is fairly reliable compared to the car crash that is the X1. I avoid it to avoid disappointment. My few visits to Sheffield are as a means of going elsewhere so the BUS STATION* is attractive to me rather than arndale gate or elsewhere.

* Pond street is a bus station not an interchange, to qualify as an interchange it has to provide interchange between modes of transport.

The PTE can call it what they want but it is a bus station.

Do people actually go to the shops in Meadowhall. The thought never occurred to me. Seriously.

---------- Post added 14-10-2018 at 17:47 ----------

A big plus for me, The X78 is fairly reliable compared to the car crash that is the X1. I avoid it to avoid disappointment. My few visits to Sheffield are as a means of going elsewhere so the BUS STATION* is attractive to me rather than arndale gate or elsewhere.

* Pond street is a bus station not an interchange, to qualify as an interchange it has to provide interchange between modes of transport.

The PTE can call it what they want but it is a bus station.

SYPTE probably deem it an interchange because technically you have a purpose built walkway between buses and train station and subsequently a purpose built bridge link between train station and supertram.

Lets not forget a bridge link which thanks to a load of campaigning and interference by local attention seekers must be deemed a public right of way which cannot be blocked off by any sort of revenue collection or barriers.

I suspect that will be enough to deem Pond Street (at least on paper) as a central interchange.

SYPTE probably deem it an interchange because technically you have a purpose built walkway between buses and train station and subsequently a purpose built bridge link between train station and supertram.

Lets not forget a bridge link which thanks to a load of campaigning and interference by local attention seekers must be deemed a public right of way which cannot be blocked off by any sort of revenue collection or barriers.

I suspect that will be enough to deem Pond Street (at least on paper) as a central interchange.

Yes. Let's not forget that hard-won victory.

The term 'Interchange' is a bit dated- a bit like 'complex'.

However if I wanted to find a transport hub in a strange place a sign to 'interchange' would be a very good bet.

At Sheffield Interchange you will find information, some city buses, regional buses, national coaches and easy access to trains and trams- same with Meadowhall Interchange. There they ability to

between the same or others forms of transport which adds up to a lot of combinations.

Some towns and cities including Sheffield had several 'bus stations' which made interchanging difficult.

---------- Post added 14-10-2018 at 20:51 ----------

Yes. Let's not forget that hard-won victory.

The overbridge is not a public right of way and is not claimed to be.

presumably at the end of the promotional period there will be a Sheffield+Rotherham version of the tram only ticket rather than making people pay for unwanted bus travel!

It should prove popular, being on segregated railway all the way from Parkgate to Sheffield City Centre it should be reliable and the journey is reasonably quick. In contrast the buses tend to suffer very badly from traffic congestion now and again, particularly around Parkgate and Meadowhall.

---------- Post added 14-10-2018 at 13:30 ----------

So, here is a hopefully simple summary of the fares

TRAVEL SHEFFIELD-ROTHERHAM BY TRAM

single 2.50

dayrider 4.00

7 day Megarider 14.00

28 day Megarider 50.00

local journeys - between Parkgate-Sheffield Arena a single is 1.80 or a return is 3.00

TRAVEL SHEFFIELD-ROTHERHAM WITH BUS TRAVEL ALSO INCLUDED

Stagecoach Day Explorer - valid in South Yorkshire, Derbyshire and Notinghamshire 6.50

Stagecoach Megarider Gold 7 day - valid same area as Explorer, 22.00

Stagecoach Megarider Gold 28 day - 85.00

South Yorkshire Connect - all buses and trams in South Yorkshire

1 day 6.60

7 day 23.00

28 day 86.00

There are also SY Connect+ and SY Railmaster passes that include both tram and train.

BUS AND TRAM PASSES - JUST IN ROTHERHAM

Dearne Valley Bus & Tram Dayrider & Megarider and R-Connect tickets are available to use on the tram Parkgate-Meadowhall.

BUS AND TRAM PASSES - JUST IN SHEFFIELD

the existing Sheffield tickets are valid on tram-train between Cathedral and Meadowhall South.

If they are introducing a new ticket, and this promotional period is time limited then they are breaking both the law and the advertising standards authority guidelines as “marketers will [likely] need to state when the introductory offer will end.” and this is probably relevant “Closing dates are listed in rule 8.17 as being a significant condition which ought to be included in marketing communications where not doing so could be misleading.“

That monthly SY travel pass at £86 is very good value. About £4 a day mon - fri.

Back in 1995 I used to work in Doncaster and commutes from hillsborough, I was paying about £50 back then for the same pass.

If they are introducing a new ticket, and this promotional period is time limited then they are breaking both the law and the advertising standards authority guidelines as “marketers will [likely] need to state when the introductory offer will end.” and this is probably relevant “Closing dates are listed in rule 8.17 as being a significant condition which ought to be included in marketing communications where not doing so could be misleading.“

As there is no "...intent to mislead" in order to disadvantage a consumer and that Supertram is operating a "...loyalty schemes run on an open-ended basis", there is no breaking of anything.

Your quotes are not from any Law or Code, mine are.

Significant sections from section 08 Promotional marketing of the ASA CAP are:

8.17.4a

I have several cards with promotional offers with no closing date. However both B&Q and Thornbridge cards were withdrawn recently with notices in the shop/pub and being told by staff.

Perhaps the current operation of the 26-30 railcard scheme deserves more attention.

Meadowhall South is just as close to the shops as the Interchange. In Sheffield the X78 just drops into Sheffield Interchange, the X1 does Arundel Gate and Moorfoot but the tram does Cathedral which is the same kind of area and connections are available up West Street.

The X1 and X78 gets a lot of complaints about reliability and often get stuck in gridlocked traffic around Meadowhall if the shopping centre is busy, there is an event on or the M1 has problems.

Meanwhile the road between Parkgate and Rotherham town centre regularly grinds to a halt with traffic whereas the tram dashes along the railway line in just 3 minutes.

I suspect there may be quite a number of passengers that will buy SY Connect tickets valid on both bus and tram and will just use whatever is most convenient at the time they are travelling.

Tram-train may affect travel patterns of current train passengers too, after all it runs up into the City Centre rather than Sheffield Station and passengers can interchange at Rotherham Central. Also not to forget of course Northern is on strike every Saturday until mid November.

Not really.

Most of the X1/X78 complaints are about punctuality, and the "bunching" of the services if one or two get delayed.

If you want to look at reliability gripes, take a look at the 75, 76, 97, 98 services along Abbeydale Road for all scheduled services from around 7.45 am to 8.15 and the ridiculous numbers of cancellations they keep suffering.

Not really.

Most of the X1/X78 complaints are about punctuality, and the "bunching" of the services if one or two get delayed.

If you want to look at reliability gripes, take a look at the 75, 76, 97, 98 services along Abbeydale Road for all scheduled services from around 7.45 am to 8.15 and the ridiculous numbers of cancellations they keep suffering.

And the PTE are thinking of getting rid of trams and replacing them with buses oh joy of joys