Tram Trains thread

The DfT have been searching for alternatives to heavy rail solutions for these areas. Guided busways and interurban trams and light rail work when former rail track is available eg Cambridge, Newcastle, Birmingham and large sections of the (very badly designed) Manchester system.

Unfortunately the Cambridge busway is in trouble so not a good example at present. http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/claim-guided-busway-doomed-passengers-13773937 and; http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/cambridge-guided-busway-13387477 It may even become light rail.

I can confirm it's crowded at peak times. Like trains, trams and trolley buses overtaking opportunity is limted but the big issues seem to be wear on the concrete sections, conflict with cycles and damage to bus sensors from striking things they shouldn't.

Unfortunately the Cambridge busway is in trouble so not a good example at present. http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/claim-guided-busway-doomed-passengers-13773937 and; http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/cambridge-guided-busway-13387477 It may even become light rail.

I can confirm it's crowded at peak times. Like trains, trams and trolley buses overtaking opportunity is limted but the big issues seem to be wear on the concrete sections, conflict with cycles and damage to bus sensors from striking things they shouldn't.

The Cambridgeshire Guided Busway is a very good example of the DfT looking for alternatives to heavy rail. It is also a very good example of Government interntion forcing solutions on local problems. Government unable to forsee the need to integrate with the new Cambridge North station and the new access layout at Cambridge station. It is also a good example of how National and Local Government are unable to control large contractors to getting away with poor quality control and cost overruns.

At least if the trial fails the route will be abandoned and we get to keep the new trams and track that the Government paid for.

That Cambridge bus is another perfect example of how in England something that's gone wrong is called a success.

Tram on meadow hall section is getting pretty busy lately, welcome some increase in capacity on that section. When it gets too busy conductor often gets stuck and stops selling tickets, people get a free ride.

Tram train timetable when they start:

Sheffield Cathedral to Parkgate

First tram at 05 27

then xx 38, xx 00 and xx 27

Last tram at 22 00

add for 17 minutes for Meadowhall South and 24 for minutes Rotherham.

Parkgate to Sheffield Cathedral

First tram at 05 59

then xx 09, xx 31 and xx 09

Last tram at 22 31

add for 3 minutes Rotherham and 9 minutes for Meadowhall South.

Journey times:

Cathedral to Rotherham 25 minutes

Cathedral to Parkgate 28 minutes

Parkgate to Meadowhall South 9 minutes

Rotheham to Meadowhall South 6 minutes

At last Sheff will finally have a rail connection to Rotherham that allows time to read a newspaper, rather than the 12 minute one we've had for decades.

Only joking - I think Tram Train will be a great success and I hope Sheffield is at the head of the queue for more lines.

WHY such an early finish? Last X78 doesn't leave Sheffield until 2325 and the last X1 leaves Sheffield at 2307?

I wonder what effect the collapse of Carillion will have on the Tram-Train project?

I am sorry for the people who have lost their jobs.

Edited by belperite

I wonder what effect the collapse of Carillion will have on the Tram-Train project?

Unlikely to derail it.

Unlikely to derail it.

I see what you did there!

Maybe it's the end of the line?

Anyone else getting mixed signals about the future of this project?

Has the project run out of steam?

I see what you did there!

Maybe it's the end of the line?

Anyone else getting mixed signals about the future of this project?

Has the project run out of steam?

Probably be shunted onto the sidelines. :hihi:

All the trackwork and 95% of the wiring and platform work is complete.

Signalling-not sure, testing is to be done.

The Carillion team on this project has plenty of essential and profitable work to do and no doubt will be kept going by the administrators.

The National train timetable includes TrainTram running from May.

As it is a government job, there is no reason to think that the work will stop. Especially as they have pledged that all public sector work will be paid directly.

By all accounts from those in the know, all the delays to this project have been down to network rail.