Tram Trains thread

The Rotherham tram-train project is meant to be a pilot for other projects so it makes sense to see it through to conclusion as other schemes are waiting on the outcome and seems likely other schemes will also experience the same overspends if they don't learn lesson from the project. It does seem to underline how useless Network Rail are, much of the delay appears to be because of their inaction.

They should have used that money to give nurses a little pay increase instead of playing games with their toy trains saying there is no magic money tree.

Getting a bit concerned now about quote for new door. Thought it was a bit high but if it going to get FIVE times as much!!! They better not think I'm going to be throwing money at them.

Wonder how much Hinkley Point will finish up costing. :huh:

Guest makapaka
UK don't know how to budget and when they are over it is too embarrassing to admit.

If I were that much over budget there be debt collectors bouncing at the door.

Problem with politics is that when they start stopping development projects it will reduce the international £ value even further.

If they continue HS2 it will damage the country more than it will benefit. Only few very rich people will get to enjoy it at the expense of national poverty and austerity.

Why will only rich people get to enjoy it?

---------- Post added 04-07-2017 at 12:37 ----------

They should have used that money to give nurses a little pay increase instead of playing games with their toy trains saying there is no magic money tree.

Not really.

Why will only rich people get to enjoy it?

---------- Post added 04-07-2017 at 12:37 ----------

Not really.

UK has many abandoned railway lines. It has an historical habbit of going to far with them.

One day the financial bubble is going to burst again, HS2 and other over budget toy project will help to move towards that.

You clearly have little respect for hard working nurses who are getting less and less due to stagnant wages. The tram is not going to save your life when you get ill and need nhs treatment.

One reason for delay / over budget is a bridge that's had to be raised so the power cables for the tram can go under it.

Sorry - but surely someone should have spotted that???

One reason for delay / over budget is a bridge that's had to be raised so the power cables for the tram can go under it.

Sorry - but surely someone should have spotted that???

I have been told that the surveyor was a Mr S Wonder :D

Guest makapaka
UK has many abandoned railway lines. It has an historical habbit of going to far with them.

One day the financial bubble is going to burst again, HS2 and other over budget toy project will help to move towards that.

You clearly have little respect for hard working nurses who are getting less and less due to stagnant wages. The tram is not going to save your life when you get ill and need nhs treatment.

Our rail system is poor in comparison to other European countries.

This has got nothing to do with my opinion of nurses pay.

they never even visited Germany to see how they organized it.

I hope the budget overruns and late delivery of this project doesn't jeopardise future investment in infrastructure development in this area.

If this experiment fails I hope it's not held as a black mark against South Yorkshire by those in government.

It was quite clear from the very beginning that the line would be quite unpopular (and so would shut soon after the 2 year test period) and the £15m budget was woefully insufficient to get the job done.

400% over budget, who does the estimating for these projects.

Sums were never my strong point at school, but my answers were never this far out.