Tram Trains thread

Its true, flatpacks should not go on tram train, If they break hard the packs could fall and injure passengers.

My last visit to an Ikea was six years ago to get a good kitchen tap for a reasonable price and took train/bus because I am not well enough to drive.

Tram train will be used a lot by people like myself, but not to transport (bulky) furniture.

Edited by dutch

On Sunday 5th of February you can follow nearly all the tram train route from Attercliffe through Rotherham to Swinton.

Nearly all trains from Swinton to Sheffield will be diverted to travel via Parkgate, Rotherham Central, Tinsley Junctions and Nunnery.

The shared track will be between Parkgate and the junction at just East of Tinsley viaduct.

PS Meadowhall is closed apart from an hourly service to Doncaster and bustitution to Sheffield, Barnsley and Rotherham.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

On Sunday 5th of February you can follow nearly all the tram train route from Attercliffe through Rotherham to Swinton.

Nearly all trains from Swinton to Sheffield will be diverted to travel via Parkgate, Rotherham Central, Tinsley Junctions and Nunnery.

The shared track will be between Parkgate and the junction at just East of Tinsley viaduct.

PS Meadowhall is closed apart from an hourly service to Doncaster and bustitution to Sheffield, Barnsley and Rotherham.

Are Cross Country trains going the "old road" route that weekend?

IKEA is not a public transport destination, as a general rule. The only exception I know of to that is the one in Ashton which is next to the tram terminus, all the other ones I know of are on out of town retail parks with limited public transport links.

Plus try carrying a cupboard back home on a tram.

If you don't have a car or even just have a small car you can still go to Ikea and have a look at the wardrobes, beds and meatballs and then order them for delivery. Then some other chump has to pack and unpack them into a vehicle and carry them to your door. I realise this is goes against the adventure of the flatpack shopping weekender so beloved by the British but there we go.

Are Cross Country trains going the "old road" route that weekend?

On Sunday no passenger traffic at all except empty coaching stock movements.

Early morning trains as normal on Saturday.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

IKEA is not a public transport destination, as a general rule. The only exception I know of to that is the one in Ashton which is next to the tram terminus, all the other ones I know of are on out of town retail parks with limited public transport links.

Plus try carrying a cupboard back home on a tram.

Ampere Way in Croydon for the Tramlink. I took a few flat packs on in my time to connect with National Rail!

Is this date any more likely to be achieved than the previous ones?

Imagine - one day we'll be able to get a train from Sheffield to Rotherham via Meadowhall. We will be whisked to Parkgate steelworks in less than an hour.

Earliest recorded use of sticking up two fingers (in the not nice way - according to QI) was out side parkgate steelworks in 1901. There will probably be some re-enactment on look north when they film the grand tram train opening. As a Historically cultural gesture of course.

And, yet again, the trial is not looking at how many people use the thing :rolleyes:

And I didn't say it did. What I did say was that once the practical side is shown to work, and so far it seems to show it's far more complex than originally suggested, and the costs added up it will all be evaluated. Cost:benefit must come into it. Further schemes should be much easier and cheaper to complete with the experience reviewed.

However, it is inevitable that, rightly or wrongly, perceptions will be swung one way or the other by how reliable and effective the service is for operators and users, and ridership is a very good judge of that. Once the methods have been tried and found to work future projects will be evaluated on cost per mile, and likely income.

All modern tram system intallations have been subsidised, and none seem to be able to fully pay for track and rolling stock repairs within income without support. So, indirectly the ridership experience on all new systems will impact on future planning. The more who use tram/train the more likely it will be to convince other operators to go the same way, as is the case with every other new rail project.

Guest makapaka
Here's a Guardian article about the tram-train being 5 times over budget and nearly 3 years late. Government ministers have decided to keep throwing money at it rather than cancel it;

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jul/04/sheffield-rotherham-tram-train-budget-nao

Good i'm glad they have - its a pittance compared to what they will happily throw at a one-stop tube extension in London which similarly spiral out of budget.

The budget seemed ridciculously light in the first instance mind - £15m doesn't go very far in infrastructure projects such as this.

UK don't know how to budget and when they are over it is too embarrassing to admit.

If I were that much over budget there be debt collectors bouncing at the door.

Problem with politics is that when they start stopping development projects it will reduce the international £ value even further.

If they continue HS2 it will damage the country more than it will benefit. Only few very rich people will get to enjoy it at the expense of national poverty and austerity.

Edited by dutch