Tram Trains thread

Well hush my mouth, everything I have read up to this point pointed to it just being a test of the technology and logistics.

In any case the first line of the bit you quoted clearly states what the main aim is, "to see if the tehnology can be used elsewhere".

---------- Post added 03-02-2017 at 09:44 ----------

The turn off appears to be before there.

No they will serve the existing Meadowhall South/Tinsley tram stop. The plans changed to incorporate it, hence why the chord between tram and rail line isnt as direct as it can be

https://www.sypte.co.uk/tramtrain/

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-XVIG5uLCNP0/ViIcwHCZSLI/AAAAAAABxYg/Eg-NWOZ-14o/s1600/rotherhammap.jpg

Edited by Beligerence

Guest busdriver1

I also understand that there are issues at Parkgate where the owners of the retail park are concerned that their well used shoppers car park could be used as a park and ride site, if so, could be a difficult one to resolve .

And, yet again, the trial is not looking at how many people use the thing :rolleyes:

Maybe when IKEA opens that line will be used more often? People may visit retail park more often and it could give some incentive to take tram to arena or Cineworld coming from Rotherham.

But this is just a guess of course. If IKEA causes traffic to get worse it would give drivers another incentive to bypass that area with tramtrain.

Guest busdriver1
Maybe when IKEA opens that line will be used more often? People may visit retail park more often and it could give some incentive to take tram to arena or Cineworld coming from Rotherham.

But this is just a guess of course. If IKEA causes traffic to get worse it would give drivers another incentive to bypass that area with tramtrain.

Since all bus services past the Ikea site have now been removed in the name of progress it will be the only public transport system to pass there.

IKEA is not a public transport destination, as a general rule. The only exception I know of to that is the one in Ashton which is next to the tram terminus, all the other ones I know of are on out of town retail parks with limited public transport links.

Plus try carrying a cupboard back home on a tram.

Guest busdriver1
Well hush my mouth, everything I have read up to this point pointed to it just being a test of the technology and logistics.

In any case the first line of the bit you quoted clearly states what the main aim is, "to see if the tehnology can be used elsewhere".

---------- Post added 03-02-2017 at 09:44 ----------

No they will serve the existing Meadowhall South/Tinsley tram stop. The plans changed to incorporate it, hence why the chord between tram and rail line isnt as direct as it can be

https://www.sypte.co.uk/tramtrain/

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-XVIG5uLCNP0/ViIcwHCZSLI/AAAAAAABxYg/Eg-NWOZ-14o/s1600/rotherhammap.jpg

OK, but not really connectivity, just a stop on the periphery of the Giant Meadowhall site. Most buses going in and out that way only drop off very few passengers at the bus stop nearby with the majority choosing to go to the bus station. Since there are numerous means of getting to meadowhall from Rotherham ( in fact you cant avoid the place) I cant see it being an issue.

Personally I would not use it, but I suspect since the removal of any direct bus to sheffield from Rotherham it may have an appeal.

As for going to parkgate, I can see little or no demand for that.

IKEA is not a public transport destination, as a general rule. The only exception I know of to that is the one in Ashton which is next to the tram terminus, all the other ones I know of are on out of town retail parks with limited public transport links.

Ikea also sells items you don't need a car for, some people go there just to eat meatballs.

Edited by dutch

Ikea also sells items you don't need a car for, some people go there just to eat some meatballs.

True. But as I said, try taking bulky items home on a tram.

True. But as I said, try taking bulky items home on a tram.

Also true. Still tram train could be very useful for many other things or people who cannot drive due to medical reasons, IKEA is not a cornershop.

Flatpack ;)

And? They are still rather heavy.

i'm sure anyone wanting to go to ikea to buy heavy furniture etc. will be able to get car transport from a friend or relative. Can't see the trams being that much affected by it, but the roads are going to get silly busy :(