70 years old and fit

Wo ever wrote that was not seventy, as you feel no different mentally from when you were seventeen.

Apart from your ability to mock people the more.

Not so in my case, when I was seventeen I was "wick" at 67 I spend half my day trying to remember what I did for the other half. Your mentality certainly falls away as you age, as does your physical ability.

Angel1.

Wo ever wrote that was not seventy, as you feel no different mentally from when you were seventeen.

Apart from your ability to mock people the more.

I wrote it myself.

Be realistic: no one at 70 can be the same as they were at 17 (either mentally or physically). It may be a comforting illusion to think so, but this is all it is.

I am very happy for you ripon street, but I have to agree with Jomie. Fitness in old age is a lot to do with luck and genetics. Yes keeping fit is important, but not always a barrier to ill health. It's often just the luck of the draw .The danger is we start blaming people for growing old and needing help.

Been doing the same early morning (6am) walk almost every morning to collect morning newspaper, summer/winter for the for over 25 years, approximately 1.75 miles in 33 minutes, works out at just over 3 miles per hour. Must admit I am slowing down a bit these days.

Last weeks pedometer graph

click here

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/26313/20170203-136z-205kb

Almost forgot to say I am 84 and that's not months

Is that 3 miles there and back ? Me ? I'd find a nearer paper shop.

However you look or feel at 70 your body is still 70 years old and eventually the body will start to fail whatever your lifestyle.

I agree that genetics and just luck are the main factors.

My lovely Mum now looks every one of her 88 years but at the age of 75 would have passed for 10 years younger. Alzheimer's disease has taken its toll despite her being a very active and healthy living woman all of her life.

On my 70th birthday a couple of years ago, my oldest son said " Not to worry Dad 70 is the new 40" I replied "So that makes me your kid brother then". He was 46 at the time lol ;)

It appears that many of the posters on SF are around 70 years old. (Myself included)

I wrote it myself.

Be realistic: no one at 70 can be the same as they were at 17 (either mentally or physically). It may be a comforting illusion to think so, but this is all it is.

What I mean is that I am not thinking about dying all the time.

I am just fitting some wardrobes, and the getting up and down is a right strain on my legs and knees.

I do all the low work sitting on the floor, for which I plan so I don't have to get up again, medium height work sitting on a chair, and the rest standing up.

I practically do a method statement before every job. :)

Chuck Berry tuned 90 last year and he is doing a European tour this summer. So we old codgers in our 70's, still have hope , LOL:D

My OH is 72 and still plays drums and sings in a Rock'n'Roll band, we have to keep enjoying life as long as our old bodies allow.

Blimey i am one of the youngsters on this forum at 50.I still think i am 25 and still try pushing myself when i am mountain biking and then i suffer the next day.My knees are totally shot with all the manual work and cycling.Thumbs up to all the seventy pluses still keeping active,i hope to be doing the same.

My OH is 72 and still plays drums and sings in a Rock'n'Roll band, we have to keep enjoying life as long as our old bodies allow.

I watch a band every month, there about 70ish.. hill billy cats.