Picasso visit to Sheffield

Pretty sure there was one of his sketches on the wall of butlers cafe,seem to remember it was a drawing he did on a napkin whilst eating there.

Doh...........if i'd clicked on the above link i would seen that info:blush:

I am interested to find people who recall Picasso's visit to Sheffield in 1950, for the World Peace Conference, for a new BBC2 documentary about Picasso's later period.

The visit to Sheffield is great story - by all accounts he met quite a few people, had a haircut in a local barber shop, and drew lots of versions of his famous 'dove of peace' (some of which he handed out to people).

I've seen some reports in the Star and the national press with eyewitnesses - but would be great to hear if anyone has any memories of this, who knows of someone who might remember it, or has heard any stories about it...

many thanks

James

(james.reid 'at' blakeway.tv)

I am interested to find people who recall Picasso's visit to Sheffield in 1950, for the World Peace Conference, for a new BBC2 documentary about Picasso's later period.

The visit to Sheffield is great story - by all accounts he met quite a few people, had a haircut in a local barber shop, and drew lots of versions of his famous 'dove of peace' (some of which he handed out to people).

I've seen some reports in the Star and the national press with eyewitnesses - but would be great to hear if anyone has any memories of this, who knows of someone who might remember it, or has heard any stories about it...

many thanks

James

(james.reid 'at' blakeway.tv)

1950 is a long time ago even for most people on S.F. I did read somewhere that the great man used 'Butler's' (which has it's own S.F. site) an eatery then in Brook Hill, where he supposedly had the signed napkins.Was the WPC held in that vicinity, which is mostly university facilities ?

Should be something on SF. Seen to remember he did a post card sketch for someone

in the area

I’m keen to find out more about Picasso’s brief visit to Sheffield in November 1950, to attend the aborted Peace Conference. It’s not impossible to think there may be people still alive who were there.  Any links or suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance. 

Best to check with Sheffield Star in their archives? or the city library? Surely one of them will have info for you.