Picasso visit to Sheffield

I did some research a while ago into Picasso coming to Sheffield for the Peace Congress

got some basic info for what I needed but has anyone any more info?thanks

I used to know the cook that worked at Butlers Dining Rooms (now Butlers Balti House) near jessops hospital. Apparently the artist visited the dining rooms for some snap and gave the owner a sketch drawn on a napkin. I seem to remember a photograph of the occasion on the wall in the dining room.

Would the sketch be worth a few bob now ? can't remember what it depicted, possibly some abstract meat n tatty pie.

When was Picasso in Sheffield.

I thought he was an 18 century artist or something.

Obviously not into art.

Interesting about the napkin though, i would have thought some mad collector with more money than sense would snap that one up.

Originally posted by blue11265

I used to know the cook that worked at Butlers Dining Rooms (now Butlers Balti House) near jessops hospital. Apparently the artist visited the dining rooms for some snap and gave the owner a sketch drawn on a napkin. I seem to remember a photograph of the occasion on the wall in the dining room.

Would the sketch be worth a few bob now ? can't remember what it depicted, possibly some abstract meat n tatty pie.

He was as part of a peace conference in Sheffield.

The picture he drew on the napkin was of a dove of peace. You can find it on the net.

Nomme

Originally posted by Cycleracer

When was Picasso in Sheffield.

I thought he was an 18 century artist or something.

LOL - he was in Sheffield in 1950 according to the article linked above. He died in 1974. Probably the single greatest artist of the twentieth century. ;)

thanks for the article about the guy who gave the flowers

If you wat to see the dove he drew on the napkin a copy of it was etched into Sheffield City Hall window

You look at Vincent Van Gogh if he was a painter today he would be laughed out of town.My grandson can paint better than him, all you hear pardon the pun is his brush strokes & the colours.Monet was a true painter even though the guy was nearly blind when he did his best work.

Originally posted by Longwood

I did some research a while ago into Picasso coming to Sheffield for the Peace Congress

got some basic info for what I needed but has anyone any more info?thanks

Ask Jeeves. He should know.

I have friend of the family who helped organise the conference and met Picasso briefly.

Unfortunately, Picasso was one of the very few international delegates who made it to Sheffield. Immigration refused entry to some of the greatest cultural figures of the twentieth century, such as Pablo Neruda, and so the conference was eventually rescheduled to take place in Warsaw.

M

I've just got back from Paris and I went to the Picasso museum there. I was amazed to find that according to a display in the museum he lived/ stayed in Sheffield at some point during 1950?

Does anybody know anything about this?? I was amazed to find this out...!!!