Should Radio Hallam have its own separate Wikipedia article?

Should 'Radio Hallam' have a separate Wikipedia article to Hallam FM?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Should 'Radio Hallam' have a separate Wikipedia article to Hallam FM?

• YES
    • NO
    • NOT SURE

If you really want to do a comprehensive history of a radio station, start a fan site. Wiki isnt really designed for it.

As far as I am aware, Wikipedia has no rules stating that names of people require a Wiki article to link to. The editor who has added that note is taking it upon themselves to lay down the rules, not Wikipedia, unless things have changed in the past three years.

You're right. The editor sounds like a little Hitler, determined to put his bias on the page.

If you really want to do a comprehensive history of a radio station, start a fan site. Wiki isnt really designed for it.

Beligerance Although the topic is about whether Radio Hallam should have a separate Wiki article to Hallam FM, the 'notable presenters' should be what it says. For some editor, who most probably has no idea what Radio Hallam was like and how popular and well known, even to this very day, some of the former presenters of Radio Hallam were and still are. These "little Hitler's", as alchresearch puts it above ^, have gone through other radio stations throughout the UK on Wikipedia, with a hatchet, removing VERY well known names who cannot NOT be classed as notable presenters. Check Radio Sheffield as an example - no mention of Robert Jackson, Winton Cooper or Peter Cooke - just a small list of 5 names. There is no point in having a section of 'notable presenters', if it doesn't do what it says on the tin, surely? Wikipedia's purpose is, as I have already stated in an earlier post, is to "benefit readers by acting as an encyclopaedia, a comprehensive written compendium that contains information on all branches of knowledge". What we have is hatchet editors, who decide it upon themselves to edit and shorten articles and get into "edit warring" if need be, which Wikipedia certainly does not approve of. They are like "little Hitler's". Wikipedia's editing policy states: "Be cautious about making a major change to an article. Prevent edit warring by discussing such edits first on the article's talk page. One editor's idea of an improvement may be another editor's idea of a desecration. If you choose to be bold, try to justify your change in detail on the article talk page, so as to avoid an edit war." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Editing_policy#Be_cautious_with_major_changes:_discuss

Edited by diezeltruck

You could always create articles for those people if they dont have one already, it gives your argument more clout.

You could always create articles for those people if they dont have one already, it gives your argument more clout.

I agree, Beligerence, but citing reliable sources should be enough. I have just cited two reliable sources for Roger Moffat, and one for Johnny Moran, kindly added by alchresearch to the 'notable presenters' section on the Hallam FM Wiki article. One day I might just get round to writing a Wiki article on Roger Moffat and other former Radio Hallam presenters, but I am finicky and do want to be accurate with information about a person. The risk is that that article can be removed, if it hasn't got any citations to reliably verify the information written within that article. :)

All the old names mentioned, but not seen anyone mention Cardboard Shoes, Keith Skues. He was one of the main men behind Radio Hallam.

I was never a fan of Hallam - awful music. But, I can recall a novelty band who I saw at Attercliffe Radical Club in the 60s, called Frankenstein and the Monsters - I think Ray Stuart was the lead singer.

Yes he was that band's frontman, also Ray Stuart and the Tremors. He was well known by all the local musicians of the era including Joe Cocker, and has a chapter in the book Not Like a Proper Job.

All the old names mentioned, but not seen anyone mention Cardboard Shoes, Keith Skues. He was one of the main men behind Radio Hallam.

Keith Skues is thankfully included in the 'notable presenters' section, of the Hallam FM Wiki article, that's why I didn't mention Keith 'Cardboard Shoes' Skues. :)

Let's face it local radio has always been awful, whether BBC or commercial. In response to the poll I voted no because I frankly don't care and think it's a ridiculous question. Wikipedia is not God or 'the law' it's just a subjective view of the world like everything else (e.g. Fox News / Private Eye / Tatler / The Beano etc.). It's fallible and full of bias and incorrect information. Mostly though it's very accurate and amazingly comprehensive - which is why we all use it.

If you're that bothered go and write a book about it or a website.

Let's face it local radio has always been awful, whether BBC or commercial.

If you're that bothered go and write a book about it or a website.

That is the thing. Radio Hallam was NOT awful. It was a most superb commercial radio station, which became worse as time went on. I would say, the first 7 years of the station were fabulous. Radio Hallam, at one point, was gettng more listenership in its broadcasting area than Radio One was in the same area. Some feat when you consider how popular Radio 1 was at the time in 1977, I think it was. You may not be old enough to even know how good it was in its earlier years. I have considered a website on 'Radio Hallam'. :love:

That is the thing. Radio Hallam was NOT awful. It was a most superb commercial radio station, which became worse as time went on. I would say, the first 7 years of the station were fabulous. Radio Hallam, at one point, was gettng more listenership in its broadcasting area than Radio One was in the same area. Some feat when you consider how popular Radio 1 was at the time in 1977, I think it was. You may not be old enough to even know how good it was in its earlier years. I have considered a website on 'Radio Hallam'. :love:

I'm plenty old enough to remember how dire ALL radio was in the 1970s, especially Radio1 (Smashey and Nicey and all those other people we won't even mention). The only saving grace was John Peel.

I'm plenty old enough to remember how dire ALL radio was in the 1970s, especially Radio1 (Smashey and Nicey and all those other people we won't even mention). The only saving grace was John Peel.

That is your opinion and you mentioned 'local radio' including local commercial radio. Now, you are suggesting even Radio One was awful except John Peel. Fair enough. This thread is about whether 'Radio Hallam' deserves its own Wiki article to Hallam FM. Some say Hallam FM is the same radio station as Radio Hallam, under a different name and owner. The thing is, is that when the station moved to its new home from Hartshead to Herries Road back in 1990/91, the new owners of the station simply skipped archive recordings, jingles on reel to reel, and other material relating to the old Radio Hallam. They literally disposed of the history of what was before into a skip. Even recordings of interviews with famous pop stars and groups recorded at Radio Hallam, from its inception in 1974. I heard that some presenters were in tears regarding what was happening. Its as if the station no longer wanted to be linked to its past, when it was Radio Hallam. Utter sacrilege to me and many others. For some to suggest that the station is the same, but just under a different name or owner probably do not realise what the new owners at the time back in the very early 90's did. The station was unique in commercial radio sense, as it had quite a number of former BBC radio djs working for it and even presenters who had had connections with other stations like Radio Luxembourg (Roger Moffat). Radio Hallam didn't just play pop. It had other programmes which catered for the 'Rock' fan and other genres of music such as Country, Classical, Jazz, Soul. It even had a religious show and a 'pause for thought.' So much away from what commercial radio is today. The presenters had passion and personality and the 'roadshows' were an opportunity for the listener to see and meet the presenters in person. Times have changed. You may have preferred John Peel's 'Festive 50' etc and the alternative music that John Peel played, but radio surely cannot be all about playing that kind of music alone. I quite liked John Peel even though I was young in the 70's and quite simply enjoyed popular music. But, I still liked the likes of Roger Moffat and other presenters at Radio Hallam, who didn't necessarily play just 'pop music'.

Edited by diezeltruck