Why do people read the Daily Mail or Daily Express ?

I was brought up reading Mirror then as a young idealist i read guardian. then briefly Today.(remember that), then as i got into middle age the Mail, now im reaching my later years, ive stopped reading any papers at all!, you realise eventually they're all a load of crap.i find all i need to know on internet,although you have to have a very good mental filter, which comes with experience ,my advice is no papers are worth wasting time on!

I was brought up reading Mirror then as a young idealist i read guardian. then briefly Today.(remember that), then as i got into middle age the Mail, now im reaching my later years, ive stopped reading any papers at all!, you realise eventually they're all a load of crap.i find all i need to know on internet,although you have to have a very good mental filter, which comes with experience ,my advice is no papers are worth wasting time on!
...........or Politicians speeches!

I fully agree that it is best to use several sources but wondered which one source would be the best if only one was practical.

I don't know. Each have their own slant, which is natural - I think if news organisations, broadcast and print were honest with themselves and others about their angles that would be a good start. At least you know where you are with the Mail and the Express. There is no deception. It knows who its readership are, and probably, have become parodies of themselves.

The BBC and ITV are much less honest, and far more pious I would argue. They have a privileged status, yet that is built on the glories of yesteryear. I think the BBC & ITV nowadays are far more tabloid and sectional than they care to admit.

I was brought up reading Mirror...

Myself, I was brought up in a household with my mother taking the 'Mirror' and my father taking the 'Telegraph'.

Also, as a youngster, I was a paperboy for many years and so read (and creased!) a whole gamut of newspapers – together with magazines and journals ranging from 'The People's Friend' to a Zoroastrian newsletter the title of which now escapes me.

I don't understand why educated people would solely follow news sources that just reinforce their own beliefs or prejudices without question, or deliberately avoid reading stuff that could challenge their perceptions. If you have a closed mind, there's not really much point in having a mind at all.

If I were put on the spot to name a newspaper that closely reflected what was happening in the world today (reading between the lines), I'd be tempted to say the 'FT', in all its pinkness.

I think the Mail is so popular because of it's online availability, wide coverage of news, and is "easy to read."

I think the Mail is so popular because of it's online availability, wide coverage of news, and is "easy to read."

By wide coverage of news you shoul mean it has big pictures, simplistic and lots of showbiz/gossip stories. Read the broadsheets if you wish to educate yourself.

By wide coverage of news you shoul mean it has big pictures, simplistic and lots of showbiz/gossip stories. Read the broadsheets if you wish to educate yourself.

Which paper do you recommend ?

I gave up with the Mail when I read a headline that suggested that The Queens head was going to be removed from stamps.

It was a perfect story for their readership.

For me it was a laughable joke, and so it proved.

These aren't so funny:

https://www.ecosia.org/images?p=0&q=Mail+Newspaper+Headlines

Go to page 3 and see the pre war headline saying "German Jews pouring into this country" - same little englanders different target.

People read the papers they read mostly because of their background and education. The Express and Mail use mostly simple language have shorter sentences and paragraphs than the Telegraph and are easier to read on the bus or the tube.

Most Newspapers and their articles are biased in one way or another.

The Independent failed so I suppose the old adage is right people want to read something that confirms their view. This is reasonable since most people read a paper as a form of relaxation not education. Most people do not buy a range of Newspapers which is the only way to compare views of the latests news. It is now more convenient to switch channels or get on the net.

Edited by Margarita Ma
added to post.

You are of course absolutely correct.

The problem is most people these days don't see papers as a way of educating themselves rather a quick hit of "news" /gossip /scandal thats easy to read and the dm online does that very well.

---------- Post added 02-02-2017 at 22:04 ----------

People read the papers they read mostly because of their background and education. The Express and Mail use mostly simple language have shorter sentences and paragraphs than the Telegraph and are easier to read on the bus or the tube.

Exactly how I see it.

I gave up with the Mail when I read a headline that suggested that The Queens head was going to be removed from stamps.

It was a perfect story for their readership.

For me it was a laughable joke, and so it proved.

These aren't so funny:

https://www.ecosia.org/images?p=0&q=Mail+Newspaper+Headlines

Go to page 3 and see the pre war headline saying "German Jews pouring into this country" - same little englanders different target.

Also the fairly recent spat they had with Facebook:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/rorycellanjones/2010/03/facebook_v_daily_mail.html

I don't know how anyone could believe anything they print, TBH, akin to The Sport or the National Enquirer.

As for it's popularity, it's right wing bias gets a lot of links on The Drudge Report, and it has lots articles with girls in skimpy clothes while it makes up stories about how ill they look.

Edited by Magilla

The other red tops are similar but their websites are nowhere near as well laid out as the mail.