Parking side road near to Northern General Hospital

4 years ago was before the hospital started too charge the staff too park.

No it wasn't

The Council can't enforce against people who park too close to junctions unless there is a restriction in place like a double or single yellow line.

Putting in a double yellow line isn't straightforward or cheap. Advertising the legal order costs a couple of grand on it's own. In heavily parked areas, any loss of parking (however dubious a location) can be viewed negatively by residents and objections ensue.

From my own experience where I live, there's a mixture of roads with double yellows on corners and roads without.

Those without do have some odd parking, due to the number of residents with cars, but possibly counter-intuitively, the restriction in visibility at crowded junctions does slow folks down ,and effectively acts as a traffic calming measure.

Those roads with open junctions and double lines regularly see drivers taking corners at speed, frequently without looking properly.

In some of the smaller side roads this causes problems, both for pedestrians and the drivers coming the other way on a road with cars parked on each side, and thus few/no passing places.

Invariably, the driver racing round the corner into a blocked road, is also the one who refuses to give way.

I think personally that narrow roads could perhaps do with just enough length of double lines on the most minor leg of the Tee junction to allow space for one vehicle.

i.e. to let a right turner clear the main road, whilst allowing traffic already on that side road room to escape.

Where the junction is wider, let folks park on the corner, albeit unofficially, to maximise the amount of parking spaces for residents.

I can't help thinking that some of the people who come on here pontificating about how others park on narrow roads, such as those in Crookes/Walkley, don't actually live there, or if they do, they are fortunate enough to have private drives.

4 years ago was before the hospital started too charge the staff too park.

It has got considerably worse over the last few years.

I have also noticed that not only do staff from NGH park on the side roads but also staff from the Hallamshire hospital park and then catch the H1, again for free, avoiding having to pay to park at their place of work.

Powerage, if you were consulted again, how would you vote?

Its definitely been longer than 4 years since they brought it in not sure how long ago though at first it was horrific the bin waggons couldn't get down the roads because of inconsiderate parking, it is much better now apart from a few numpties. I would still vote no because even though there are some drawbacks I am a big believer that people need to park somewhere and you can't keep moving the problem on from one area to another. The council need to consider this when they keep putting these restricted areas up, there needs to be more areas with affordable parking not less.

Your Right Powerage, it has been a lot longer than 8 years. It is also quite difficult to get a staff parking permit and many staff who can't walk very far have to pay to park in the public car parks, at £3.70 a day that could add up to £81.40 on long month for someone working Monday to Friday.

I feel sorry for the neighbours of the NGH, but the hospital was already there when they moved in. It is a bit like moving next door to a cathedral and complaining about the bells.

In terms of the parking charges. They are fairly reasonable compared to the other hospitals in England, probably because the NGH has such a lot of land they have thousands of spaces to collect revenue and it would be false economy to price everyone out of paying.

The hospital was there yes but the workers didn't pack the streets with their cars though did they. So not sure i follow your logic.

The problem only started when NGH removed free onsite parking so now the admin/support staff who are not eligible for free parking simply park half blind on adjacent streets.

If the same situation arose outside their houses you bet they'd be letters to MP's and the Star and whatnot about the frightful situation and how their children are in danger!

Only difference is it's S5, so it's all ok.

---------- Post added 03-02-2017 at 14:13 ----------

So you have a drive but park your cars on the road to stop others parking there and you say they are the inconsiderate ones.

3 cars buddy. Drive way holds 2 comfortably without blocking one of the cars in.

So no, do not "park cars on the road to stop others parking", park on the road because i have to.

So when i need to, i.e. when i can hear the sweeper is making its way down the road, i get up and move the 3rd car and squeeze onto drive way for that short period of time.

Call me conscientious, if you like.

But the fact that you assume 2+2 is 5 makes me slightly worried for you.

Edited by arrowhead

Horndean road, almost opposite Barnsley road entrance.

You'd better get there early if you plan to do that..

By 7am, most spaces have already been taken by NHS staff.

By 8am, all you will be doing is gridlocking the narrow streets, preventing vehicles from driving up or down the roads and antagonising the local residents; not a good idea if you're planning to safely leave your car there for ten hours a day.

You'd better get there early if you plan to do that..

By 7am, most spaces have already been taken by NHS staff.

By 8am, all you will be doing is gridlocking the narrow streets, preventing vehicles from driving up or down the roads and antagonising the local residents; not a good idea if you're planning to safely leave your car there for ten hours a day.

Park early, no need to. I recently parked there mid week at 11am and there was plenty of space at the far end of Horndean road.

And yes I parked courteously without blocking anyone's driveway or blocking the road.

The reason I parked there was because I could not find a parking space in the hospital grounds, surprisingly.

Park early, no need to. I recently parked there mid week at 11am and there was plenty of space at the far end of Horndean road.

You got lucky.

Now everybody's gonna try that :)

.. so now the admin/support staff who are not eligible for free parking simply park half blind on adjacent streets. .

I have two corrections to this statement;

1) Nobody gets free parking, staff parking passes cost money which is taken out of their wages in proportion to how much they are paid. However they are difficult to qualify for as there are not enough spaces.

2) Why are you blaming Admin/Support staff? There are many qualified people in professional roles including doctors, nurses, physiotherapists, radiologists, scientists etc. who can't get any kind of staff pass and have to park somewhere.

If the same situation arose outside their houses you bet they'd be letters to MP's and the Star and whatnot about the frightful situation and how their children are in danger!

Only difference is it's S5, so it's all ok.

Actually that is just ignorant. I live across the other side of the city in S8. If I get home after 4PM I can rarely park near my house. The issue is people on my road with several cars and most houses have no drive, as well as the local car dealer parking lots of used cars, and staff cars away from their forecourt during the day.

Edited by muddycoffee

Ha Ha this is so funny As if the council or parking control are bothered about anything like this in S5 !!! All they care about is the lovely residents of S10 S11 who have the luxury of resident parking There is even a road in Broomhill that the kind council have put white lines at the bottom of the residents drives so no parking can occur I cant see that happenning around Fairbank Road any time soon

Parking Services need to have restriction they can actually enforce, like double or single yellow lines, permit parking, pay and display etc. If you have such a restriction and it's being abused, report it to them and they will give it attention. Tel 2736255 or email: parkingservices@sheffield.gov.uk

When the Council put in a permit parking zone, they normally put in single yellow lines across driveways or accesses. Sometimes the resident or business doesn't want that, so they put in a white H marking, but those aren't enforceable. If it's put in as part of a wider scheme it's free, but if you have a driveway and want an H marking, you can pay for one to be put in. See: https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads/travel/driving/parking/road-parking-markings.html

They have the "luxury" of permit parking in Broomhill because they suffered for many years the effects of unrestricted commuter parking, as well as having several hospitals, several schools, the University and the Museum in their area, all of which attract a lot of parking. The permit parking zones form a ring around the city centre, because that's where commuter parking problems are worst. If you want permit parking, ask for it.