Academy - Term Time Holiday

My Childs school is now under the LEAD Academy changing from the local authority.

how would this effect a term time holiday? as the council wouldnt be able to fine you for it as they have no control over the school? am i right in thinking this.

No you're wrong. They'll fine you anyway. Don't get me started on this one.

How can the authority fine you, if the school doesnt run under them.

The standards of teaching are appalling anyway.

The clever children learn almost as much from their family members as they do from school.

So a few days away from school will not do them any harm.

These fines were just another of Tony Blair's silly ideas, that devalued his good ideas.

They are just a punishment for the children of the less well off, who are unable to pay the exorbitant prices during school holidays.

A far better idea would be to spread the school holidays over the entire year, as is done in most of industry, allowing flexible leave times.

This would enable the people who provide for the holiday industry (airlines, accommodation etc.) to spread their prices more evenly over the year.

There is a test case going through the appeals system at the moment. It's likely this will signal the end of any fines for term time holidays.

However, the fine is £60 which would almost certainly offset the lower cost of a term time holiday.

Quite frankly, just go. A few days of missed school versus quality time with family. No brainer.

The fine is for failing to send your kid(s) to school. Doesn't matter how the running of the particular school is organised.

There is a test case going through the appeals system at the moment. It's likely this will signal the end of any fines for term time holidays.

However, the fine is £60 which would almost certainly offset the lower cost of a term time holiday.

Quite frankly, just go. A few days of missed school versus quality time with family. No brainer.

I dont think its that simple Sgt. Depends on the OPs offspring. Is he/she a high flying straight A student - a fortnight in tenerife is no problem. On the edge of dullardsville? Two weeks - certainly depending on the time of year - could make all the difference.

Its £120 per child, reduced to £60 if you pay straight away.

The High Court ruled last year, though, concluded that if a child’s overall attendance is at least 90 per cent, a parent should be able to take them out of school for a holiday.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/supreme-court-ruling-children-on-holiday-in-term-time-fines-department-for-education-a7555841.html

Its £120 per child, reduced to £60 if you pay straight away.

The High Court ruled last year, though, concluded that if a child’s overall attendance is at least 90 per cent, a parent should be able to take them out of school for a holiday.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/supreme-court-ruling-children-on-holiday-in-term-time-fines-department-for-education-a7555841.html

Do people realise that 90% attendance is half a day off every week?

The standards of teaching are appalling anyway.

The clever children learn almost as much from their family members as they do from school.

So a few days away from school will not do them any harm.

These fines were just another of Tony Blair's silly ideas, that devalued his good ideas.

They are just a punishment for the children of the less well off, who are unable to pay the exorbitant prices during school holidays.

A far better idea would be to spread the school holidays over the entire year, as is done in most of industry, allowing flexible leave times.

This would enable the people who provide for the holiday industry (airlines, accommodation etc.) to spread their prices more evenly over the year.

Clearly. Somebody should have a word with your English teacher.

Clearly. Somebody should have a word with your English teacher.

They have probably been dead for about 50 years.

Silly comments do not remove a serious problem.

I dont think its that simple Sgt. Depends on the OPs offspring. Is he/she a high flying straight A student - a fortnight in tenerife is no problem. On the edge of dullardsville? Two weeks - certainly depending on the time of year - could make all the difference.

Fair point I guess, but I think in general it holds true. A child will likely miss more school due to illness than a weeks holiday. The parents know their kid the best, if they make the decision in the interests of their kid then crack on. I'd have no problem taking my daughter on a holiday during term time if I felt that was the right thing to do. Then again once I'm mortgage free I plan to travel the world with her so perhaps I'm slightly biased here! :D