Cycling along Shirecliffe Road

I cycle along this road every night to commute to work it's the quickest route for me but its becoming very dangerous.

It looks fairly wide but car's have real problems passing me when the traffic is heavy from the on-coming side.

There about to resurface this road and I see they have no plans in widening it with a cycle lane which is very much needed on the section between Moonshine and were the college used to be.

Traffic insist's on passing me when it's clearly not safe to do so and I have had many close shaves.

For the cynics out there yes I could use another route but that would add to my journey.

I have 2 point's here and that is for vehicles to pass only when safe to do so because it's a matter of when not if that I get knocked off, another is to take out those oversize grass verge's and put a cycle lane in.

Anyone else travel on a bike up this road at peak time

I cycle along this road every night to commute to work it's the quickest route for me but its becoming very dangerous.

It looks fairly wide but car's have real problems passing me when the traffic is heavy from the on-coming side.

There about to resurface this road and I see they have no plans in widening it with a cycle lane which is very much needed on the section between Moonshine and were the college used to be.

Traffic insist's on passing me when it's clearly not safe to do so and I have had many close shaves.

For the cynics out there yes I could use another route but that would add to my journey.

I have 2 point's here and that is for vehicles to pass only when safe to do so because it's a matter of when not if that I get knocked off, another is to take out those oversize grass verge's and put a cycle lane in.

Anyone else travel on a bike up this road at peak time

I don't cycle on that road, but I know it well, drove up it last night infact.

Close overtaking seems endemic in Sheffield, and it is the very reason I sadly don't cycle anymore. Too many drivers seem to think a few inches is enough room. I'll always give the cyclists plenty of room when I'm driving, I know myself how unnerving it can be to have a car (or worse lorry) overtaking at speed just inches from your handlebars.

My bit of advice - If there is clearly not enough room for a car to pass, I will move out slightly into the middle of the lane. This way, the cars behind don't try anything stupid and squeeze past as the gap won't look as inviting. Then when there is room for cars to pass, you can move back towards the left and cars can pass freely. It's called "taking the lane" and is much safer.

My bit of advice - If there is clearly not enough room for a car to pass, I will move out slightly into the middle of the lane. This way, the cars behind don't try anything stupid and squeeze past as the gap won't look as inviting. Then when there is room for cars to pass, you can move back towards the left and cars can pass freely. It's called "taking the lane" and is much safer.

Would definitely concur with this. It also puts you more at risk if you are hugging the kerb due to potential obstacles etc.

Lets hope SYP will be adopting this in the near future.

Also the road surface on shirecliffe rd is appalling. I've cycled a few times on this road during daytime and cars do fly pass you. With the small islands along the road it can be scary.

I always did this at traffic islands.

I got sworn at by a driver once for taking the lane. So I pulled up at work 30 seconds later and gave his company a call :D

I do miss the freedom of cycling, but I had one too many scary moments, and I'd just had enough.

When I get back on two wheels (although its more likely to be motorised than pedal power) I want a helmet camera.

Would definitely concur with this. It also puts you more at risk if you are hugging the kerb due to potential obstacles etc.

Lets hope SYP will be adopting this in the near future.

They won't, they've said they won't, because the casualty figures are too low.

http://road.cc/content/news/214329-south-yorkshire-police-says-no-close-pass-initiative-%E2%80%93-cites-low-number-cyclist

Meanwhile in the real world... SY has higher rates of cyclist KSIs per capita of population, and a higher overall percentage of KSIs in SY were cyclists compared to West Midlands.

http://road.cc/content/news/215391-was-south-yorkshire-police-right-not-follow-west-midlands-polices-%E2%80%98close-pass%E2%80%99

Still at least SY Police didn't use the excuse that Greater Manchester Police used. (H&S)

I agree with this. Also, road designers sometimes make matters worse by adding cycle lanes. Clarke house Road and bramall Lane would be safer if cyclists were not expected to use the cycle lanes, and were then more likely to cycle in the primary position.

Very rare you see a cyclist on the road,most of them use the pavement.

Very rare you see a cyclist on the road,most some of them use the pavement.

You are most welcome

Thanks for the replies I do get jittery on this road, maybe it will feel better in daylight however I never cycle on paths NEVER but on this stretch I may make an exception but at the moment the tarmac on the path is up with no great rush to lay the new tarmac.