Protest at Town Hall... 30/01/2017

Usual lefties latch on to any cause. Student politics :rolleyes: like it or not Trump won on these promises and over 50% of Americans support the (temporary) ban. USA will take 800,000 refugees this year. Some EU countries refuse to take any.

Double standards too. Where were the demonstrators for freedom when Israelis were banned from 16 countries, or any of us if we have an Israeli stamp in our passports.

In a way yes. I would never want to block the EDL from protesting as long it's within the law. I shalt quote Voltaire at you. At least they are doing something that they believe is making the country better (at least I'm giving them some credit for that and not just assuming they are looking for a fight...) and even if I disagree with them and would counter-protest against their message, I'd rather have them than people who are just 'meh' and don't get involved in anything and let the world fall apart around them.

Fair comment.

Do protests work now? Im going back to poll tax ones when I can last remember protest having an impact. A million turned out for the pit closures in 93 (?) probably the same against the second iraq war in 2003. You cant move in central london for one protest or another - womens march, anti-trump, cuts against this and that and the other, pro fox hunting, anti fox hunting, EDL, anti globalisation, boycott israel you can go on and on and on.

Whats changing? You'll meet some like mided individuals and potentially find out what kettling is like and come back with a copy of the socialsist worker. Too much and any message is likely lost in the noise. As point of reference, Donald Trump is now the President of the USA - he didnt organise march after march, he tapped into a very ****** off silent (ignored) majority (minority - you get my point though). Maybe all you need is Twitter!

Usual lefties latch on to any cause. Student politics :rolleyes: like it or not Trump won on these promises and over 50% of Americans support the (temporary) ban. USA will take 800,000 refugees this year. Some EU countries refuse to take any.

Double standards too. Where were the demonstrators for freedom when Israelis were banned from 16 countries, or any of us if we have an Israeli stamp in our passports.

You're kind of contradicting yourself. You say they latch on to any cause, then say they didn't protest for the Israeli cause.

Surveys show 49% of Americans support the ban so not over 50%.

The demonstrators for freedom were probably protesting against Israel's illegal occupation at the time when Israelis were banned from 16 countries.

---------- Post added 01-02-2017 at 13:38 ----------

Fair comment.

Do protests work now? Im going back to poll tax ones when I can last remember protest having an impact. A million turned out for the pit closures in 93 (?) probably the same against the second iraq war in 2003. You cant move in central london for one protest or another - womens march, anti-trump, cuts against this and that and the other, pro fox hunting, anti fox hunting, EDL, anti globalisation, boycott israel you can go on and on and on.

Whats changing? You'll meet some like mided individuals and potentially find out what kettling is like and come back with a copy of the socialsist worker. Too much and any message is likely lost in the noise. As point of reference, Donald Trump is now the President of the USA - he didnt organise march after march, he tapped into a very ****** off silent (ignored) majority (minority - you get my point though). Maybe all you need is Twitter!

Twitter, caps lock and very short sentences.

It would be nice if some of the 2000 people who attended the Anti-Trump protest will attend, something tells me most won't be.

Me as well.

---------- Post added 01-02-2017 at 14:03 ----------

Well it wouldn't surprise me if the turnout is low, but then this is the first I and I suspect many others not directly involved have heard about it.

And since the post doesn't even give a time...no-one has time to hang about all day in case a protest they might agree with just happens to occur

Part of this is media including fb groups like Sheffield Online, it just isn't sexy enough to report on (if you can call anything to do with Trump "sexy" that is) so they don't bother spreading the word.

The situation has been ongoing for months in the local media .

People seem more interested in what goes on in America than under their noses in this City.

The situation has been ongoing for months in the local media .

People seem more interested in what goes on in America than under their noses in this City.

Thing is that within less than two weeks EU Donald tusk has even gotten to the point calling him a threat, no wonder people are looking that direction.

Many at protests worldwide and on forums are comparing DT with Hitler, if its true is not the issue but no wonder people are looking that direction.

Scientists are working overtime to save valuable data from global warming research DT has ordered to be removed using an executive order, it makes you wonder an insane mental person is in charge of nuclear weapons and what could happen.

I believe DT is a far greater risk at starting dangerous world wars than bush was in Iraq.

Humanity has gone to war many times, I believe DT is mentally insane and such people should not be given power over great armies. But it has happened many times in history that insane people got that power like Genghis khan, Mussolini, Hitler, joseph Stalin.

Many of the people who are allowed to vote don't look further than the golden arches and only think about themselves, totally unaware that history is repeating itself over and over again and another war will happen.

During election DT screamed, "lock her up, lock her up" loudly like some insane mental patient, what will happen when he gets into some conflict on an international level? He is crazy.

Some of us are criticising the selectivity of protesters, its partly why UKIP are growing,

I thought the popularity of UKIP had waned. I think their remit was to get us out of the EU which they have done and now they have had their day.

Pretty much like Churchill losing the election after the war ( I shall take cover from the incoming flak for the comparison ).

Churchill did what was required during the war but the party policies following the war were at odds with what the electorate wanted.

Farege,s remit was to get us out of the EU which he did but didn't have the strength, policy wise to carry it through.

Why should I? I'm no fan of Trump. I just don't think protesting in the UK will do anything other then make a group of people feel good about themselves. They are the archetypal Ralph Wiggum from the Simpsons with his catch phrase "I'm helping".

It seems, for some reason, people are attributing characteristics to the protestors that diminishes them - they're middle class, they're privileged, they're only doing it to make them feel good about themselves.

Some of us are criticising the selectivity of protesters, its partly why UKIP are growing,

People protest about what they feel strongly about. Clearly there will be counter views. If people are driven to join UKIP because of the selectivity of the protestors, why don't they protest about what they feel needs protesting about?

You're kind of contradicting yourself. You say they latch on to any cause, then say they didn't protest for the Israeli cause.

Surveys show 49% of Americans support the ban so not over 50%.

The demonstrators for freedom were probably protesting against Israel's illegal occupation at the time when Israelis were banned from 16 countries.

---------- Post added 01-02-2017 at 13:38 ----------

Twitter, caps lock and very short sentences.

Another Poll says 57% of voters! When I said Latch on to any cause I should have added "leftie".

Lots of double standards here.

---------- Post added 01-02-2017 at 15:50 ----------

I thought the popularity of UKIP had waned. I think their remit was to get us out of the EU which they have done and now they have had their day.

Pretty much like Churchill losing the election after the war ( I shall take cover from the incoming flak for the comparison ).

Churchill did what was required during the war but the party policies following the war were at odds with what the electorate wanted.

Farege,s remit was to get us out of the EU which he did but didn't have the strength, policy wise to carry it through.

I thought so too, especially since all the leadership antics and the split caused by Carswell. However they are running about the same in the polls and doing very well in Stoke. Farage couldn't get us out of EU he did/does not have the mandate, although I think he would have done a better job than May!

Thing is that within less than two weeks EU Donald tusk has even gotten to the point calling him a threat, no wonder people are looking that direction.

Many at protests worldwide and on forums are comparing DT with Hitler, if its true is not the issue but no wonder people are looking that direction.

Scientists are working overtime to save valuable data from global warming research DT has ordered to be removed using an executive order, it makes you wonder an insane mental person is in charge of nuclear weapons and what could happen.

I believe DT is a far greater risk at starting dangerous world wars than bush was in Iraq.

Humanity has gone to war many times, I believe DT is mentally insane and such people should not be given power over great armies. But it has happened many times in history that insane people got that power like Genghis khan, Mussolini, Hitler, joseph Stalin.

Many of the people who are allowed to vote don't look further than the golden arches and only think about themselves, totally unaware that history is repeating itself over and over again and another war will happen.

During election DT screamed, "lock her up, lock her up" loudly like some insane mental patient, what will happen when he gets into some conflict on an international level? He is crazy.

And what about the dementia facility closing down , any input ?

respite dementia centre, its going to be mentioned on calendar tonight.

Edited by dangerousedd

It seems, for some reason, people are attributing characteristics to the protestors that diminishes them - they're middle class, they're privileged, they're only doing it to make them feel good about themselves.

People protest about what they feel strongly about. Clearly there will be counter views. If people are driven to join UKIP because of the selectivity of the protestors, why don't they protest about what they feel needs protesting about?

Many people can't, sick and disabled people for instance, people with dementia, they need allies, for some reason, in the UK at the moment they don't have them, just people shouting 'white privilege' in Whitehall, etc.

I see you have Calum's List in your tag, many people have committed suicide due the brutal welfare cuts, where is the outrage from civil society(thats who were at the Trump protests, the left is tiny) about that?

Edited by gamezone07

Many people can't, sick and disabled people for instance, people with dementia, they need allies, for some reason, in the UK at the moment they don't have them, just people shouting 'white privilege' in Whitehall, etc.

I agree that sick and disabled people do need allies. Many disabled people do go on demonstrations to vent their anger. As do their carers and those that work with them, or people concerned about their well being.

Unfortunately those that are concerned about the well being of the sick and disabled, and those that work with them are castigated for being middle class, and demonstrating because they want to make themselves feel good.

For example loads of people have been demonstrating about the changes to disabled benefits....If you look at discussions on here, the cynical retort is that those demonstrating are workshy, or those people that work on the front line are being 'trade unionist'.

There are some fantastic organisations campaigning on disabled issues - this is but one of them: http://blacktrianglecampaign.org/

Edited by Mister M