Protest at Town Hall... 30/01/2017

Where did you get a 'huge majority' from? He lost the popular vote and only got 46% of the total vote?

Many of the people there last night probably do far more than most SheffieldForum whingers do about problems faced here in the UK. I bet you the people there last night are far more likely to attend other protests, or write letters to their MP etc. than people who weren't.

If his reasoning is so just and principled, please can you tell me why his ban excludes countries he has business dealings with, and why the countries from which the tiny number of Muslim terrorists that actually have taken the life of an American citizen on American soil* are excluded?

*(Hardly any, btw, since 9/11, which itself was mostly carried out by Saudis)

Much of the protest stems from the planned visit he is making to the UK, and the business/trade with which the Prime Minister is so keen to strike up with him - his actions and policies are very much the business of the entire western world and beyond.

No it wasn't, there were protests shortly after the USA voted in their democratically elected president.

The energy and intensity of this protest is very intense. People are very angry with T may as well, she clearly displayed the wrong picture in Washington.

Confirmed: MPs shall debate Donald Trump state visit offer.

This will be an interesting one to watch. Even if MPs decide to endorse it, I'm hoping your Queen tells May to GFH. Preferably in as many words. Then Boris can go over to try and pacify Donald for the snub :thumbsup::D

No it wasn't, there were protests shortly after the USA voted in their democratically elected president.

Not ones as big as last nights. Besides, you're still missing the point. Donald Trump is the leader of the USA, the biggest and most influential country in the Western World, probably all the World, and his policies are seen by many, many people both inside and outside of his country as divisive, damaging and actually in some cases potentially catastrophic.

Putting to one side for a moment the most extreme/dramatic potential fallouts from his tenure (Major global conflict & uncontrolled Climate Change), even the cultural shift of the USA from being outward looking and open to insular and closed is going impact massively on global economies and social/civil peace. A stable USA is important for the world. Of course people are going to protest worldwide if they believe that stability is compromised!!

Not ones as big as last nights. Besides, you're still missing the point. Donald Trump is the leader of the USA, the biggest and most influential country in the Western World, probably all the World, and his policies are seen by many, many people both inside and outside of his country as divisive, damaging and actually in some cases potentially catastrophic.

Putting to one side for a moment the most extreme/dramatic potential fallouts from his tenure (Major global conflict & uncontrolled Climate Change), even the cultural shift of the USA from being outward looking and open to insular and closed is going impact massively on global economies and social/civil peace. A stable USA is important for the world. Of course people are going to protest worldwide if they believe that stability is compromised!!

Well said AndrewC. I'd just add that having a self confessed sexual abuser and obvious mysogynist and racist as POTUS is a massively bad idea; it legitimises racism and mysogyny.

Anyone who can't see that needs help.

I think it's very naive of you to think that we haven't already been cheapened by America and it's corporations that pay little to no tax but when times are tough and may get tougher yet it's better the devil you know at this point. Besides does anyone on here really believe he will get longer than his term ? I highly doubt he will be voted for again. Regardless of state visits and the like we need to be involved with America financially if we are going to make brexit work and like it or not he is now their president

And I think you're very presumptuous to think I've not been critical of our relationship with America in the past.

So only if we were around to campaign against the holocaust are we allowed to campaign now? Is that the vague gist of your post?

---------- Post added 31-01-2017 at 13:24 ----------

And amazingly I've protested against ISIS too. It is possible to condemn more than one bad thing at a time you know.

I'm not going to drag this into another anti-Trump thread as we have enough of those. Ultimately everyone who was out protesting has given up a small amount of their time to do something they believe in. I fail to see why people get so angry about that.

Nope, that's not the gist of my post and that's not only a cheap shot but a nonsensical post by yourself too.

Likewise, the second para of your post is hugely contradictory.

---------- Post added 31-01-2017 at 19:55 ----------

It is very easy to make people vote for you by promising everything will be better and greater again.

Most voters are not intelligent, they are hungry, so if you promise them better food they will vote for you.

Fewer people have the intelligence to recognise that the promised food is full of crap and poison and it is better to stay hungry than vote for a liar who tries to use your hunger to become president.

EU referendum same story, people needed a change, promise them lots of hospitals and improvements. Most voters are not intelligent enough to look deeper into the essence of what is really happening and pay the price afterwards.

sad but true

---------- Post added 31-01-2017 at 20:02 ----------

No, the march of people who don't want to see their kids growing up in a world full of hatred, anger and division. Is that really too much to ask for?

Two words.

Mai Lai

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23427726

She retired didn't she?

more like shown the door by her own party

---------- Post added 31-01-2017 at 19:31 ----------

But at least the ones doing the moaning have the right to do so :)

---------- Post added 31-01-2017 at 14:13 ----------

Yes, but that is for US citizens to protest against democracy, not the UK.

i was not protesting about the USA's democratic rights but protesting about him the person and what he stands for. White supremacy.

---------- Post added 31-01-2017 at 19:37 ----------

The energy and intensity of this protest is very intense. People are very angry with T may as well, she clearly displayed the wrong picture in Washington.

she is trumps lap dog.

Confirmed: MPs shall debate Donald Trump state visit offer.

This will be an interesting one to watch. Even if MPs decide to endorse it, I'm hoping your Queen tells May to GFH. Preferably in as many words. Then Boris can go over to try and pacify Donald for the snub :thumbsup::D

I bet Farage will be first on the phone :hihi:

Many of the people there last night probably do far more than most SheffieldForum whingers do about problems faced here in the UK. I bet you the people there last night are far more likely to attend other protests, or write letters to their MP etc. than people who weren't.

Many do, but not sure it is a good idea for the Stand UP to Racism lot to invite CAGE to their meetings.On the other point, it depends what issues, open borders is popular with them not so popular with wider society.

---------- Post added 31-01-2017 at 20:23 ----------

be good if protests about privatisation, the NHS, etc were as intense and so well attended, actually it is mostly students, they disappear after the event, meanwhile the hard boring work on basic issues like housing is left to a hardy few.

Edited by gamezone07

[/b]

My bold=

The ones getting angry are the ones who hold similar right wing discriminatory views as trump. If trump ends up dragging us into a world war the same people supporting him will be the ones that end up moaning and crying.

[

I think you have got this the wrong way round, it seems the people that are getting upset are the ones thathat are protesting.

A protest out side the Town Hall today about the closer of the Dementia centre on Hurlfield View at Gleadless .

This is a protest that all Sheffielders should back as it seems the Council can back and fund shopping centres and new Markets etc but have no money at all for the vital services that really count in this City.

A protest out side the Town Hall today about the closer of the Dementia centre on Hurlfield View at Gleadless .

This is a protest that all Sheffielders should back as it seems the Council can back and fund shopping centres and new Markets etc but have no money at all for the vital services that really count in this City.

Which shopping centres are the Council funding, please? :confused: