Protest at Town Hall... 30/01/2017

A bunch of people with the same opinion, shouting so that everyone knows they have the same opinion.

Result = Nothing

I wonder how many speakers told the audience that only approx 107 people had been detained out of approx 320,000 travellers.

Did they speak about the high unemployment already existing in the USA.

Did they mention the green cards.

No, the march of people who don't want to see their kids growing up in a world full of hatred, anger and division. Is that really too much to ask for?

Open your eyes, the world is already full of hatred and devision. The last I checked, Unicorns are not galloping down our streets farting glitter rainbows spreading happiness and love.

Trump is not causing this, he is the result of the problems with the world.

What is apparent is people are not that stupid. They know what Trumps objectives are and they agree with them. Trying to counter them with reasoned factual counter arguments does not work.

Or maybe they should show that it's not ok for our Prime Minister to cosy up to a President like this and cheapen the values of this country.

I think it's very naive of you to think that we haven't already been cheapened by America and it's corporations that pay little to no tax but when times are tough and may get tougher yet it's better the devil you know at this point. Besides does anyone on here really believe he will get longer than his term ? I highly doubt he will be voted for again. Regardless of state visits and the like we need to be involved with America financially if we are going to make brexit work and like it or not he is now their president

I remember the Miners ,steel workers , nurses, power workers and builders strikes.

(I was involved in two of those ).

What I for the life of me can not remember is the lovelies and middle classes standing out side the Town Hall supporting those times .

Instead we got the opposite . with all the Im alright Jack lot writing to the broadsheets telling all and sundry what a rabble the trade unionists of that time where and how holding the Country to ransom should be made to be against the law.

How times change .

No, the march of people who don't want to see their kids growing up in a world full of hatred, anger and division. Is that really too much to ask for?
Is that not everything that ISIS stand for ? The exact terrorist group that Trump wants to eradicate, starting by a 90 day TEMPORARY BAN on muslim visa entrants to the usa...so they can be properly checked and vetted. We should be doing the exact same here. Only it takes around 2 months to get a UK settlement visa from most muslim counties. Maybe WE should take 3 months aswell, lets face it, current immigration checks are not overly successful or stringent enough. Edited by Jerky

Do we have that already ?

Is Mr. Trump trying to stop it for future generations ?

Do we have that already ?

Is Mr. Trump trying to stop it for future generations ?

We do indeed have it already, Trump has latched onto that and got himself elected by spewing more hate. Not sure he's trying to stop it for future generations. Just exploit existing hatred for personal gain.

Whatever our views he made the electorate aware of his views before the election and so he is fulfilling their wishes.

yeah lets protest about an american president that the americans have voted for !!!!

meanwhile in our own country housing is becoming increasingly unaffordable, nhs is steadily going down the toilet and everyones pocket is about to get abit of a battering, we struggle with low wages and job security and lets not forget homelessness is on the rise/still a large problem

but come on its crazy to protest about those things because their our problems we should protest about whats happening 3000 miles away.

as already said the problem i find is all these do gooder protesters are snobby middle class people and kids that have never had to deal with any real life problems, as none of the above issues affect them so they aren't worth protesting about.

How do you know that "all these do gooder protesters are snobby middle class people and kids that have never had to deal with any real life problems"? That's a really dismissive attitude. Perhaps 'those snobby middle class people' have faced hardships due to cuts in services, and other hardships in life.

And supposing those that are poor or working class do demonstrate? The stock response on here are jibes about over entitled chavs with their hordes of children.

Everyone has the right to protest - even if they are middle class.

A bunch of people with the same opinion, shouting so that everyone knows they have the same opinion.

Result = Nothing

Okay well why not start a counter demonstration? Certainly beats complaining on an internet forum about people getting off their backsides on a wet evening to make their voices heard.

Edited by Mister M

I think a relevant point is that if people in the U.K. protest about something happening in our country some of them can actually do something to try and change it. It would take effort and commitment.

If people protest about something happening in another country of which they have no control they are only showing their disagreement.

Well, if you check the history of mankind, frankly yes it's far too much to hope for.

A tiny vociferous minority who may or may not be representative of the silent majority, a minority who jump on a convenient bandwagon whilst remaining conveniently oblivious to massive historical injustices.

The fact that Trump considers all media and journalistic types to be dishonest untrustworthy <removed> should make him a frontrunner in Time, man of the year.

I'm just off to the bookies to put a tenner on the next post, by the way.

So only if we were around to campaign against the holocaust are we allowed to campaign now? Is that the vague gist of your post?

---------- Post added 31-01-2017 at 13:24 ----------

Is that not everything that ISIS stand for ? The exact terrorist group that Trump wants to eradicate, starting by a 90 day TEMPORARY BAN on muslim visa entrants to the usa...so they can be properly checked and vetted. We should be doing the exact same here. Only it takes around 2 months to get a UK settlement visa from most muslim counties. Maybe WE should take 3 months aswell, lets face it, current immigration checks are not overly successful or stringent enough.

And amazingly I've protested against ISIS too. It is possible to condemn more than one bad thing at a time you know.

I'm not going to drag this into another anti-Trump thread as we have enough of those. Ultimately everyone who was out protesting has given up a small amount of their time to do something they believe in. I fail to see why people get so angry about that.