Trump's travel ban..

You are absolutely right about the gun laws. It's not the law that's really the problem, it's a culture thing, but perhaps a law massively restricting American life namely Defense, National Health, International relationships Etc. But the ownership of weapons has always been a State By State affair, and should be. Some States like Alaska or even Maine share their environment with some big and aggressive animals. Some Cities like Chicago don't seem able to take command, while NYC does. It often depends on how far you live away from potential help. There aren't many places in the UK very far from Police help.

You are absolutely right about the gun laws. It's not the law that's really the problem, it's a culture thing, but perhaps a law massively restricting ownership will kick start that culture change? Other countries (Canada, Switzerland off the top of my head) have similar gun ownership levels to the US yet have a tiny proportion of the gun crime, that's what needs to be addressed. Anyway, slightly O/T now...

The only similarities in Canada to US gun ownership are that the police carry them and criminals get them like criminals do, from other criminals. Hand guns are forbidden for the general population and rifles are controlled by registry and licenses are not too easy to get.

Canada and Switzerland don't have 'similar' gun ownership levels to the US at all.

Canada's is about a third, Switzerland's, is about half.

don't believe anything Michael Moore says. He's a moron.

Canada and Switzerland don't have 'similar' gun ownership levels to the US at all.

Canada's is about a third, Switzerland's, is about half.

don't believe anything Michael Moore says. He's a moron.

You are right, but I don't think I had any idea it was something Michael Moore said. I have to admit I am staggered by the difference in gun ownership in the US to other countries...I genuinely thought Switzerland had more guns than people as pretty much everyone had to have one for public defence duties? Am I completely confusing my countries or does this list only include non-military issued 'personal' weapons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estimated_number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country

---------- Post added 21-02-2017 at 10:05 ----------

The only similarities in Canada to US gun ownership are that the police carry them and criminals get them like criminals do, from other criminals. Hand guns are forbidden for the general population and rifles are controlled by registry and licenses are not too easy to get.

Time for me to go do some more reading it appears and 2 things I was sure were true have been proven not to be in this thread...anyway, this is going of topic but it's an interesting topic regardless.

what you have to do is avoid at all costs the temptation to transplant a British/European mindset about guns into a United States context. It's difficult enough for a Canadian to do, when Canada and the USA are next door neighbours and share a great many characteristics. A British/European person, has no chance. They just look silly standing there lecturing somebody in Montana or Mississipi about guns as if they were in Manchester or Midlothian.

if you yourself were American, you'd have a very different attitude towards guns and gun control than you do as a British/European person.

what you have to do is avoid at all costs the temptation to transplant a British/European mindset about guns into a United States context. It's difficult enough for a Canadian to do, when Canada and the USA are next door neighbours and share a great many characteristics. A British/European person, has no chance. They just look silly standing there lecturing somebody in Montana or Mississipi about guns as if they were in Manchester or Midlothian.

if you yourself were American, you'd have a very different attitude towards guns and gun control than you do as a British/European person.

I lived in Montreal for many years before i came south for a better job.There was plenty of gun violence to go around bit I loved the place anyway. The way you have stated it works well. The sheer size of Canada versus its population almost makes the need for a family gun obvious.

i see a Syrian film maker whos made an Oscar nominated documentary on humanitarian services in Syria cant go to the oscars as hes banned :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/39089364/america-bans-syrian-behind-oscar-nominated-film

and in other news, a very brave Kurdish woman gave her life reporting on the war in Syria and Iraq

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-39089148

on a side note, travellers to the US can now be asked to give details of twitter / facebook etc accounts Oo

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40132506

im sorry but how does that stop terrorism? are you sure all terrorists will give up secret social media accounts if asked?

on a side note, travellers to the US can now be asked to give details of twitter / facebook etc accounts Oo

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40132506

im sorry but how does that stop terrorism? are you sure all terrorists will give up secret social media accounts if asked?

Why do you think they want that sort of information Mell about Social Media accounts ?

Why do you think they want that sort of information Mell about Social Media accounts ?

well it states in the link "to keep america safe"

which, it wont help in the slightest

I honestly couldn't give a toss

Since that old fart (perfect alias) became president, his ego and that of his daughter is bigger than the 51 states he now dictates over.

Really shows just how gullible (read thick!!) the yanks are.

Pathetic, still with Ol' Fart at the helm, shoving his nose into every other country's business and preaching "Do As I Say - Not As I Do" he'll soon come face to face with something a lot bigger than his ego.

'Bout time those lard ass yanks got their just desserts!!

I honestly couldn't give a toss

daughter is bigger than the 51 states he now dictates over.

since August 1959 when Hawaii, where the 44th president was born 2 years later, was added to the Union, the USA has consisted of 50 states, not 51 or 52 as is sometimes believed. 50 states. A nice round number that doesn't look like it's going to change any time soon. The gap between 1959 and now in 2017, 58 years, is the longest time in the history of the USA in which no new state has been added. The next longest gap is between 1912, when New Mexico became the 48th state, and January 1959 when Alaska became the 49th.

these new immigration requirements seem silly, but then the USA has never been short of having silly immigration questions. For years, millions of arrivals have had to tick either YES or NO on the immigration forms to questions asking if they were members of Nazi or Communist political parties. Needless to say, not too many people, especially real actual members of Nazi or Communist political parties, ever said Yes.