Re-plastering a cold bedroom

Can anyone tell me if thermal plastering a room is worth the extra money? Son has bought an old house without cavity walls so this insulation is impossible. The room, which is a bedroom, has 3 outside walls and needs re-plastering anyway, as when wallpaper stripped off half the plaster came off with it! It is quite a large room and so we wondered if insulated plastering would be prohibitive pricewise? Would insulated wallpaper on top of 'ordinary' plaster be a poor alternative even though cheaper? Thanks for any helpful replies. Also - anyone know of approximate price per meter?

Insulated plasterboard is a good solution to cold walls IMHO. Dont know costs for getting it plastered, always done it myself.

The polystyrene liner you can paste on is a waste of time and prone to damage, again my opinion based on some experience.

If you're replastering anyway, bite the bullet and strip it back to brick. A newly plastered room, new plinth and architraves always looks neat. Personally I would rip the old ceiling down too. Insulate it properly with celotex and board it with insulated plasterboard too.

Edited by Bargepole23

Sounds like a big job but might be worth it in the long run - thanks for your advice.

If you got big ceiling heights you can overboard it a lot easier ./ But take a bucket and shovel in loft and clean in between joists for the sake of a couple of hours..

If you're having the room re-plastered then insulated plasterboard isn't that much more cost on top.

I assume you can access the roof space, if so slap some extra insulation up there as well.

Yes - roofspace insulated. High ceiling but can't lower height as it's a listed building and not allowed. Thanks for replies again:)

It will be well worth the expense. Thicker the insulation the better.

Also consider what insulation. Phenolic (foam) is better 'u' value than polystyrene but costs a lot more.

Also think about fitting skirting boards and curtain rails afterwards. May need some battens fitting.

There is an insulated plaster called Bauwer, goes on about 75mm thick. Harder to do than insulated plasterboard but very breathable.

Thanks for that - will look into it - it's obviously more complex than I realised!

Technically if you are replastering you are now required to insulate external walls. [sec 5.8 p17]

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/540327/BR__PDF__AD_L1B_2013_with_2016_amendments.pdf

You can achieve this in 2 ways, that I know of; one is insulated plasterboard, the other is a multi-foil insulated lining.

http://www.kingspaninsulation.co.uk/getattachment/84f900f6-bc07-4363-a9f0-c2266399cf23/Kooltherm-K118-Insulated-Plasterboard-pdf.aspx

https://www.ecohome-insulation.com/files/ww/SuperQuilt-Insulation.com%20Wall.pdf

You need to achieve a U-value of 0.30W/m2K

Yes done plenty well worth the extra expense pm me if you need a quote or any advice.

We had 2 bedrooms insulated a couple of years ago, and its made an enormous difference in keeping those rooms warm. We went back to brick and had the insulated boards then skimmed. Definately recommended!

We had 2 bedrooms insulated a couple of years ago, and its made an enormous difference in keeping those rooms warm. We went back to brick and had the insulated boards then skimmed. Definately recommended!

That's great news! Think he/(we!) will have to bite the bullet!