Pile up on M1 sheffield 29/01/2017

Just had reports from the wife that there's been a bad accident on the M1 going south between 35a and 35 thorpe hesley. Multiple cars involved. She was in front of it but saw it happen in her mirror. Be advised that it's probably shut off the whole motorway

Hope nobody is seriously hurt. There seems to have been an accident on the M1 almost every day, recently

Hope nobody is seriously hurt. There seems to have been an accident on the M1 almost every day, recently

I myself think these smart motorways are a safety hazard despite all the sugary comments from the authorities for if the engine cut out for example there is nowhere to go really with the bad behaviour of some but certainly not all LGV drivers driving too close to the vehicle in front just look at the accidents on the M1 in South Yorkshire in recent times,just my view.

Bad fog coming back from Castleton today, drivers were being cautious though, unlike on a work day.

I myself think these smart motorways are a safety hazard despite all the sugary comments from the authorities for if the engine cut out for example there is nowhere to go really with the bad behaviour of some but certainly not all LGV drivers driving too close to the vehicle in front just look at the accidents on the M1 in South Yorkshire in recent times,just my view.

Where has it been stated that the design of the motorway caused this particular accident?

If you look at a travel app or listen to radio 2 you'll hear of accidents on motorways with 5 lanes and a hard shoulder and if you could be bothered to make a chart (and I can't) I'd be surprised if the motorway without the hard shoulder suffered from accidents from an equally busy stretch with a hard shoulder.

The problem is drivers.

fog worse conditions for driving

It's barely been foggy though.

Certainly nowhere near enough to warrant the rampant fog light use.

Another pile up today near J31

Im sure someone will be along shortly to blame it on the smart motorway, as if no pile ups happened on motorways before they came along....

Bad fog coming back from Castleton today, drivers were being cautious though, unlike on a work day.

The fog wasn't that bad yesterday afternoon, it wasn't until later into the night that it got abit thicker.