Sheffield Peregrine Falcons 2017

The new fundraising logo blocks the webcam view in my browser (safari) Anyone else having this problem?

There could be an egg in Nottingham; if so laid in the last 30 minutes.

at 7pm there was an empty nest and mum standing by. Now, it looks like Mum in the nest and the thermal image camera shows a heat spot on the floor of the scrape

---------- Post added 16-03-2017 at 19:44 ----------

I'm sure there is an egg under the sitting bird in Nottingham. The heat patch at the bird's feet is hardly visible now where there was a bright roundish patch 20 minutes ago

Edited by Bludragonfly

The RSPB site has some good descriptions of the different species : https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/bird-and-wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/p/peregrine/

But, even with those descriptions I would have difficulty telling them apart based on their appearance. Their behaviour is a much better guide in my experience:

• If I see it deliberately hovering in one place, not too high, staring at the ground: that's a Kestrel
  • If I see it flying very fast at low level through local woods or back gardens: that's a Sparrowhawk

Kestrels are quite common (for a bird of prey), and can often be seen over road verges. Sparrowhawks are also common, but don't make themselves as obvious. Peregrines are rare though, so location is a better practical guide: if I'm looking up at St. George's watching a bird perched near the nestbox, that's a Peregrine: otherwise, probably not.

Very grateful to you Sir. I had looked this up before in bird books but was none the wiser. Thanks for that!:thumbsup:

---------- Post added 16-03-2017 at 22:44 ----------

There could be an egg in Nottingham; if so laid in the last 30 minutes.

at 7pm there was an empty nest and mum standing by. Now, it looks like Mum in the nest and the thermal image camera shows a heat spot on the floor of the scrape

---------- Post added 16-03-2017 at 19:44 ----------

I'm sure there is an egg under the sitting bird in Nottingham. The heat patch at the bird's feet is hardly visible now where there was a bright roundish patch 20 minutes ago

It's just took it's bed socks off maybe?

final check for tonight - empty nest boxes in Nottingham and Sheffield - no birds and no eggs so my wishful thinking earlier this evening for Nottingham was just that - wishful thinking

my eyes are getting bad, it looks like a Penguin and a minature poodle up there now.

my eyes are getting bad, it looks like a Penguin and a minature poodle up there now.

Thought you'd been drinking but see what you mean. We maybe both need Specsavers!!

There is one egg in Nottingham

it's currently unattended but the thermal camera shows it is still warm

Thought you'd been drinking but see what you mean. We maybe both need Specsavers!!

As time goes by so will the illusion, by it was Funny at the time, I was thinking Who put that poodle up there, never mind the Penguin. - Ha! Ha!

I thought the Sheffield girl was laying now, she's been in the box ages looking uncomfortable

I thought the Sheffield girl was laying now, she's been in the box ages looking uncomfortable

Sheffield nest still looks empty unless it's in the hidden corner but the parent to be is on standyby

Bath have an egg in their box this morning

---------- Post added 19-03-2017 at 19:20 ----------

Norwich have an egg now too

---------- Post added 19-03-2017 at 21:09 ----------

Looks like we will have one tonight, sadly at the moment out of view

Edited by Orangepip