To drink on a weekend

I have no problem with that as long as the journey does not go via a hospital. I’d see them all denied treatment. Spend the money and the operation time on those who deserve it.

I don’t have any sympathy whatsoever for alcoholics. I do object to the use of public funds [ alkies cost us £120 each year in taxes for life] being wasted on self-inflicted injury.

Now, go argue the facts.

That one emboldened line tells everyone all they need to know about you and your 'argument' - you're arrogant and ignorant and your 'argument' is based on an utterly false premise.

When you said "facts" are you carefully ignoring the fact that being t-total increases the overall risk of mortality compared to moderate drinking? Is that an inconvenient fact for you?

Very inconvenient.

We are curing cancers. We are living longer. We are giving up the habit of smoking. But drinkers continue to rush headlong to an early grave. I have no problem with that as long as the journey does not go via a hospital. I’d see them all denied treatment. Spend the money and the operation time on those who deserve it.

I don’t have any sympathy whatsoever for alcoholics. I do object to the use of public funds [ alkies cost us £120 each year in taxes for life] being wasted on self-inflicted injury.

Now, go argue the facts.

You do realise that alcoholism is not a 'self inflicted injury'?

You do realise that alcoholism is a disease just like diabetes and all the other diseases?

You will also know that alcoholism can be passed on genetically I presume?

You do realise that anyone could become an alcoholic?

You do realise that alcohol dependency is treatable.

I was born with the alcoholic gene. My twin brother with the diabetic one.

Neither symptoms evident in the rest of my living family, but there being evidence of both down the generations.

Just like diabetes, no one asks to become alcohol dependent.

Unlike the 1-2 pints a day being bad for you, as you cited, I was averaging 8-10 a day, this not being pints of beer, but bottles of wine. I can assure you that that is indeed very bad for you. I needed half a bottle of wine just to get out of bed in the morning just to get rid of the tremens (shakes).

Through emergency intervention, drugs, and a very long stay in rehab, I pulled through, determined never to drink again (like yourself?).

Although still an alcoholic, I haven't touched a drop for many years now.

I understand a lot about alcoholism, and have every sympathy for anyone with it. I use my knowledge to help others get the treatment they need, should they desire. Just like my twin brother with diabetes.

It's through my first hand knowledge of the illness that I'm quite happy to talk to others about it and help improve their total ignorance and stereotyping.

Some prefer not to of course.

You do realise that alcoholism is not a 'self inflicted injury'?

You do realise that alcoholism is a disease just like diabetes and all the other diseases?

You will also know that alcoholism can be passed on genetically I presume?

You do realise that anyone could become an alcoholic?

You do realise that alcohol dependency is treatable.

I was born with the alcoholic gene. My twin brother with the diabetic one.

Neither symptoms evident in the rest of my living family, but there being evidence of both down the generations.

Just like diabetes, no one asks to become alcohol dependent.

Unlike the 1-2 pints a day being bad for you, as you cited, I was averaging 8-10 a day, this not being pints of beer, but bottles of wine. I can assure you that that is indeed very bad for you. I needed half a bottle of wine just to get out of bed in the morning just to get rid of the tremens (shakes).

Through emergency intervention, drugs, and a very long stay in rehab, I pulled through, determined never to drink again (like yourself?).

Although still an alcoholic, I haven't touched a drop for many years now.

I understand a lot about alcoholism, and have every sympathy for anyone with it. I use my knowledge to help others get the treatment they need, should they desire. Just like my twin brother with diabetes.

It's through my first hand knowledge of the illness that I'm quite happy to talk to others about it and help improve their total ignorance and stereotyping.

Some prefer not to of course.

Brilliant post. Well said and congrats on the sobriety!

More than 9 million people in the UK drink more than the recommended daily limits.

From the entire adult population that is 20%. Two in every ten. Or, 9 out of 10 who played for Leeds United in the 70s.

In the UK, in 2014 there were 8,697 alcohol-related deaths. You could add a few more who were never found as they rotted away in parks and woodlands. That they were never found is deplorable. That they were never missed is understandable.

Alcohol is 10% of the UK burden of disease and death, making alcohol one of the three biggest lifestyle risk factors for disease and death in the UK, after smoking and obesity. Those of you who are clearly overweight, like the odd drag and are opening a bottle as you read this haven’t got long left. And I don’t mean to finish the bottle.

An estimated 7.5 million people are unaware of the damage their drinking could be causing. The attitudes vary from outright denial to confused, ill-informed insults posted within this thread.

Alcohol related harm costs England around £21bn per year, with £3.5bn to the NHS, £11bn tackling alcohol-related crime and £7.3bn from lost work days and productivity costs. So, it’s a lifestyle of workshy, low level criminality interrupted by frequent hospital visits.

It costs £500 m to build a hospital. That’s 80 hospitals in total that we don’t have each year.

Year on year.

In the UK in 2012-13, there were 1,008,850 hospital admissions related to alcohol consumption where an alcohol-related disease, injury or condition was the primary reason for hospital admission or a secondary diagnosis. So when your relative has a cancelled op., or can’t get a bed, or has to wait on a corridor, you now know why.

However, if you include deaths where alcohol was a contributing factor (such as various cancers, falls and hypertensive diseases), the figure increases by 21,512. That’s about the total sum of their contribution to society; they keep the undertakers busy around an otherwise slack period of Xmas.

The alcohol-related mortality rate of men in the most disadvantaged socio-economic class is 3.5 times higher than for men in the least disadvantaged class, while for women the figure is 5.7 times higher. That is, if you are poor and poorly educated you drink a lot more than someone who did well at school and has a decent well paid job.

In England and Wales, 63% of all alcohol-related deaths in 2012 were caused by alcoholic liver disease. So it can start at any age but takes a few years to kill you.

There’s a shortage of organ transplants so once diagnosed, unless you stop drinking, you’re going to die.

Liver disease is one of the few major causes of premature mortality that is increasing.

Smoking is decreasing, hence, the number of smoking related illnesses, along with deaths, has dropped. However, people are increasingly drinking themselves to death whilst arguing it does no harm, get a life and I know a bloke down the pub who runs marathons.

Deaths from liver disease have reached record levels, rising by 20% in a decade. It’s the cheap supermarket booze, drinking at home and drinking to excess.

We are curing cancers. We are living longer. We are giving up the habit of smoking. But drinkers continue to rush headlong to an early grave. I have no problem with that as long as the journey does not go via a hospital. I’d see them all denied treatment. Spend the money and the operation time on those who deserve it.

Now, go argue the facts.

You are not a very nice human being!

You obviously have no idea what addiction is or why it manifests in some and not in others.. Go and educate yourself then come back and join in :)

Who would that be?

What part of now go argue the facts don't you understand?

All of it.

I present the facts and you bare your backsides in ignorance.

Cheers!

I knew it was a pointless exercise in presenting a contrary view as you all belong down the pub putting the world to rights.

But let's get back to the facts .........

All of it.

Cheers!

I knew it was a pointless exercise in presenting a contrary view as you all belong down the pub putting the world to rights.

Did you not read my post? Do you understand what alcoholism is, how it effects people? Do you think I should've been refused treatment and left to die?

A simple yes or no will suffice (although you'll have to pad it out a bit due to forum rules on short posts).

All of it.

Cheers!

You're still ignoring the facts though.

You're damaging your health by not drinking. Moderate drinkers have lower overall mortality (that means risk of dying) than tee-totallers.

Go out and have a beer, it might save your life.

All of it.

Cheers!

I like the occasional drink but not an alcoholic.

I`m not quite sure of your sexual preferences but what ever you like,i wouldn`t be like you and condemn it as its Your choice.

So why are like a bear with a sore ars+?:loopy::loopy:

Facts.

Deal with the facts.

Try debating that.

Don't try tugging at some heart string, claiming to be a victim or making it personal.

I took the trouble to present facts which you've all avoided addressing.

Facts.