To drink on a weekend

Analyse what you just said: 2 or 3.

That's not social drinking. It's drinking to an excess that would impair an individual beyond the legal limit to drive. The fact they are not driving doesn't remove a degree of impairment.

Your illusion is that you deceive yourself into thinking such a level of consumption is acceptable, normal, harmless when it clearly is not. And mixing with people well on the way to losing control of what they say, think and do has no appeal to me.

Do you actually think that being under the influence makes someone more articulate, intelligent, lucid?

I take you at your word. You 'can', not you 'have' or 'do'.

World of difference.

You enjoy your visits to the pub. I'll stick to my healthier lifestyle. Each to his own. But as for longevity, I'll remember every moment, rather than have the haze of confusion, induced by too much booze, washing over me.

Alcohol related injury and illness costs the NHS millions each and every year. The consumption is normalised throughout society, the rite of passage lasts a lifetime and ruins lives. Show me one example of how it ever has benefited them.

And look at that stats for domestic alcohol related murders.

Booze is not part of my life. I don't need to 'feel relaxed', comfortable or lose my inhibitions.

I also prefer to know what I'm doing, thinking and feeling at all times.

There's little worse than a drunk.

Are you a recovering alcoholic?

The reason i ask is that if this thread was about smoking then your responses sound awfully like an ex smoker with their convictions... Hmmmm

More than 9 million people in the UK drink more than the recommended daily limits.

From the entire adult population that is 20%. Two in every ten. Or, 9 out of 10 who played for Leeds United in the 70s.

In the UK, in 2014 there were 8,697 alcohol-related deaths. You could add a few more who were never found as they rotted away in parks and woodlands. That they were never found is deplorable. That they were never missed is understandable.

Alcohol is 10% of the UK burden of disease and death, making alcohol one of the three biggest lifestyle risk factors for disease and death in the UK, after smoking and obesity. Those of you who are clearly overweight, like the odd drag and are opening a bottle as you read this haven’t got long left. And I don’t mean to finish the bottle.

An estimated 7.5 million people are unaware of the damage their drinking could be causing. The attitudes vary from outright denial to confused, ill-informed insults posted within this thread.

Alcohol related harm costs England around £21bn per year, with £3.5bn to the NHS, £11bn tackling alcohol-related crime and £7.3bn from lost work days and productivity costs. So, it’s a lifestyle of workshy, low level criminality interrupted by frequent hospital visits.

It costs £500 m to build a hospital. That’s 80 hospitals in total that we don’t have each year.

Year on year.

In the UK in 2012-13, there were 1,008,850 hospital admissions related to alcohol consumption where an alcohol-related disease, injury or condition was the primary reason for hospital admission or a secondary diagnosis. So when your relative has a cancelled op., or can’t get a bed, or has to wait on a corridor, you now know why.

However, if you include deaths where alcohol was a contributing factor (such as various cancers, falls and hypertensive diseases), the figure increases by 21,512. That’s about the total sum of their contribution to society; they keep the undertakers busy around an otherwise slack period of Xmas.

The alcohol-related mortality rate of men in the most disadvantaged socio-economic class is 3.5 times higher than for men in the least disadvantaged class, while for women the figure is 5.7 times higher. That is, if you are poor and poorly educated you drink a lot more than someone who did well at school and has a decent well paid job.

In England and Wales, 63% of all alcohol-related deaths in 2012 were caused by alcoholic liver disease. So it can start at any age but takes a few years to kill you.

There’s a shortage of organ transplants so once diagnosed, unless you stop drinking, you’re going to die.

Liver disease is one of the few major causes of premature mortality that is increasing.

Smoking is decreasing, hence, the number of smoking related illnesses, along with deaths, has dropped. However, people are increasingly drinking themselves to death whilst arguing it does no harm, get a life and I know a bloke down the pub who runs marathons.

Deaths from liver disease have reached record levels, rising by 20% in a decade. It’s the cheap supermarket booze, drinking at home and drinking to excess.

We are curing cancers. We are living longer. We are giving up the habit of smoking. But drinkers continue to rush headlong to an early grave. I have no problem with that as long as the journey does not go via a hospital. I’d see them all denied treatment. Spend the money and the operation time on those who deserve it.

I don’t have any sympathy whatsoever for alcoholics. I do object to the use of public funds [ alkies cost us £120 each year in taxes for life] being wasted on self-inflicted injury.

Now, go argue the facts.

Edited by Owethemnowt

More than 9 million people in the UK drink more than the recommended daily limits.

From the entire adult population that is 20%. Two in every ten. Or, 9 out of 10 who played for Leeds United in the 70s.

In the UK, in 2014 there were 8,697 alcohol-related deaths. You could add a few more who were never found as they rotted away in parks and woodlands. That they were never found is deplorable. That they were never missed is understandable.

Alcohol is 10% of the UK burden of disease and death, making alcohol one of the three biggest lifestyle risk factors for disease and death in the UK, after smoking and obesity. Those of you who are clearly overweight, like the odd drag and are opening a bottle as you read this haven’t got long left. And I don’t mean to finish the bottle.

An estimated 7.5 million people are unaware of the damage their drinking could be causing. The attitudes vary from outright denial to confused, ill-informed insults posted within this thread.

Alcohol related harm costs England around £21bn per year, with £3.5bn to the NHS, £11bn tackling alcohol-related crime and £7.3bn from lost work days and productivity costs. So, it’s a lifestyle of workshy, low level criminality interrupted by frequent hospital visits.

It costs £500 m to build a hospital. That’s 80 hospitals in total that we don’t have each year.

Year on year.

In the UK in 2012-13, there were 1,008,850 hospital admissions related to alcohol consumption where an alcohol-related disease, injury or condition was the primary reason for hospital admission or a secondary diagnosis. So when your relative has a cancelled op., or can’t get a bed, or has to wait on a corridor, you now know why.

However, if you include deaths where alcohol was a contributing factor (such as various cancers, falls and hypertensive diseases), the figure increases by 21,512. That’s about the total sum of their contribution to society; they keep the undertakers busy around an otherwise slack period of Xmas.

The alcohol-related mortality rate of men in the most disadvantaged socio-economic class is 3.5 times higher than for men in the least disadvantaged class, while for women the figure is 5.7 times higher. That is, if you are poor and poorly educated you drink a lot more than someone who did well at school and has a decent well paid job.

In England and Wales, 63% of all alcohol-related deaths in 2012 were caused by alcoholic liver disease. So it can start at any age but takes a few years to kill you.

There’s a shortage of organ transplants so once diagnosed, unless you stop drinking, you’re going to die.

Liver disease is one of the few major causes of premature mortality that is increasing.

Smoking is decreasing, hence, the number of smoking related illnesses, along with deaths, has dropped. However, people are increasingly drinking themselves to death whilst arguing it does no harm, get a life and I know a bloke down the pub who runs marathons.

Deaths from liver disease have reached record levels, rising by 20% in a decade. It’s the cheap supermarket booze, drinking at home and drinking to excess.

We are curing cancers. We are living longer. We are giving up the habit of smoking. But drinkers continue to rush headlong to an early grave. I have no problem with that as long as the journey does go via a hospital. I’d see them all denied treatment. Spend the money and the operation time on those who deserve it.

I don’t have any sympathy whatsoever for alcoholics. I do object to the use of public funds [ alkies cost us £120 each year in taxes for life] being wasted on self-inflicted injury.

Now, go argue the facts.

You are Oliver Cromwell and I claim my £5. I would point out that most people aren't problem drinkers or that lots of alcoholics are people who are traumatised but never been offered proper treatment but I get the feeling you just wouldn't be interested.

As for all these people quietly rotting in parks and woodlands - that is just bizarre.

QUOTE: 'Now, go argue the facts.' means now, go argue the facts.

No-one is disputing that alcohol related disease is a big problem, they are just disputing that having a drink after work is some kind of moral deviance that is going to result in advanced liver failure. If you want to persuade people of the virtues of sobriety you might want to sound less like someone who has just had six bongs full of salvia divinorum

Year on year.

We are curing cancers. We are living longer. We are giving up the habit of smoking. But drinkers continue to rush headlong to an early grave. I have no problem with that as long as the journey does not go via a hospital. I’d see them all denied treatment. Spend the money and the operation time on those who deserve it.

Now, go argue the facts.

Whats your beef??

Was your ex wife an alcoholic that ran off and left you for someone else?

:hihi::hihi:

You are Oliver Cromwell and I claim my £5. I would point out that most people aren't problem drinkers or that lots of alcoholics are people who are traumatised but never been offered proper treatment but I get the feeling you just wouldn't be interested.

As for all these people quietly rotting in parks and woodlands - that is just bizarre.

It's pretty obvious, " He's been there, done that", now he is trying to sell the T Shirts to anyone who listens.:rant:

Each to their own. I'm just enjoying a tasty glass of wine.

Each to their own. I'm just enjoying a tasty glass of wine.

I'm hic . just on my 5th can of stella..hic.

Stay klassy:D

I am listening to 'A Pub with no Beer' and boy, do I now need one?

QUOTE: 'Now, go argue the facts.' means now, go argue the facts.

When you said "facts" are you carefully ignoring the fact that being t-total increases the overall risk of mortality compared to moderate drinking? Is that an inconvenient fact for you?