How long is average completion on buying a house?

Hi all, just as thread title states really! I know there isnt a set time, would just like to know avaeage really? and maybe quickest people have know, and unfortunatley the longest...! We are moving from rented accom too. Thanks.

usually about 2 to 3 months

:)

Ah, they dont sound too bad really! Thanks!

both of ours took less than four weeks, and one included a remortagage buy to let and purchasing a house for us to live in. It really depends on the chain and how pushy you are with the solicitor

We had our offer accepted early Febuary. The house is empty, we live in a rented house; but we are still waiting to exchange!

When we moved to Hackenthorpe- after all the fannying about that was done with the solicitors, and up-till completion- it took a year all in all.

It was a bloody nightmare from beginning to end and one that I dont want to have to go through again.

How long is the chain? If it is just the two of you then expect between 6 to 10 weeks. If it's a chain then you have to wait for everyone to buy and be ready (can take months) then add 6 to 10 weeks on that.

Usually 2-3 months but my current one has taken 5 months so far and i'm still waiting. The man I'm buying from is a moron and getting me to the point where i'm not convinced he really wants to sell. i'm seriously considering just cutting my losses, completing on the sale of my house and moving in with my brother and looking again.

Quickest was 6 weeks between offer and completion (and we completed on the same day that we exchanged contracts). The second move was three months, and even though there were only two houses in the chain, it got... complicated. Mr & Mrs Divorce wanted to move asap, but did NOTHING to speed things up. She was in charge of the sale, and had a solicitor. He was in the house, and had a solicitor. The house, being leasehold, had its own solicitor! God, we wanted to napalm the lot of them!

The moral is: Don't buy a divorce house.

More morals: Make sure your own solicitor is on the ball, and as pushy as possible. Don't offer on a house where the current owners are vague about their intentions. Find out as much about the upwards chain as possible, and if you're selling a house, do the same in the opposite direction.

Allow 6 weeks for all searches - they SHOULDN'T take longer than that. The rest is just faffing around - getting the chain in place, and dealing with the little negotiations based on the surveys/searches.

Just be VERY HONEST, and communicate, communicate, communicate!

Well I had my offer accepted on a house last September and I'm still waiting and living with family! I obviously have nothing to sell, and my vendors are moving into an empty house. I'm still waiting - I have everything in place and could complete 2mrw - I've been like that since about Novemeber! The delays lies with the vendors.

When you go and look at houses, be up front with the vendors - ask what position they are in (whether they have found a house etc) and ask what they realistically want for the house.

Good luck - its a horrible game up here in Sheffield.

BB.x

When i moved out of my mums to my first home (9 weeks ago) It took 8 months for it to go through, It took the p**s x x