Hard-Drive Data Recovery

Then I would say, recovery is impossible. Data can only be recovered in case of logical failure. Nothing can be done in case of physical failure. I beg your pardon if I'm wrong.

Professional recovery can still be done, but it's not cheap as the OP has already discovered.

No help to the OP, but always have a backup.

I cannot help wondering if people are being overly cautious about the inside of a hard drive: it is quite simple in there really.

Immensely high precision, but I think that the real precision is in the fine control.

If I was looking at a prospective £500 bill, I'd get some old hard drives and experiment.

In fact, I might just do it anyway... has that chap with the tower sold it yet? ;)

I cannot help wondering if people are being overly cautious about the inside of a hard drive: it is quite simple in there really.

Immensely high precision, but I think that the real precision is in the fine control.

If I was looking at a prospective £500 bill, I'd get some old hard drives and experiment.

In fact, I might just do it anyway... has that chap with the tower sold it yet? ;)

As I understand it, the moment a platter disk is exposed in a regular room it could well be damaged just by dust particles. Best a home user can do is replace the external PCB, although some say freezing a disk for a brief time can help.

That and banging it on the table, mounting it upside down, giving it a good shake. I've done all 4 and revived apparently inoperable disks for long enough to grab the data. Freezer one was the most satisfying though.

4 hours ago, juliejulie68 said:

Doing a backup is essential. All those data recovery software don't really work

They do work, but it depends on the drive and data, how much there is, the drive condition, and if you have already put new data over the top of where the old data was etc!

• Like 2