71 / 72 bus service

Not sure if everyone is aware but from the end of January the 72 bus service will be cut. The 71 will be renamed 72 and instead of going via mosborough it will be going to crystal peaks and along the parkway to sheffield. It will still run once an hour. There will only be about 4 buses a day that will travel via mosborough (ridiculously early times and then late times)

If this route change affects you, there will be a meeting on 17th February at 11.00am at the Leisure Centre in Killamarsh.

Just thought I'd try and get the word out.

Looking at timetable it was stagecoach's commercial decision to change non council supported route

Guest busdriver1
Looking at timetable it was stagecoach's commercial decision to change non council supported route

And to use a number already in use so be careful about which bus you board.

The route and timetable changes are all available at both http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com and http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/transport_roads/public_transport/news_notices/bus_service_changes/default.asp.

The background:

A couple of years or so ago Stagecoach dramatically improved the bus services in Killamarsh as a commercial venture by introducing Supertram Link minibus SL3 running every 10 minutes connecting into trams to Sheffield at Moss Way as well as serving Holbrook, Beighton and Crystal Peaks.

Unfortunately the levels of ticket sales dissapointed and when the new Sheffield Bus Partnership network launched the SL3 became the 72 and was reduced to every 20 minutes, but with bigger buses.

The level of ticket sales continue to be too low to justify the current level of service - there seems to be a history going back to the days of Yorkshire Terrier and Mainline of the community in Killamarsh demanding more buses and then not supporting them when they get them.

So the 71 and 72 are being merged together with the Monday to Saturday daytime journeys on route 71 becoming a 72 and running existing 71 route Chesterfield-Renishaw-Killamarsh then following the existing 72 route to Crystal Peaks before running fast to Sheffield via Mosborough Parkway and Sheffield Parkway. This will be an hourly service the same as the current 71.

Daytime passengers in Mosborough will still have up to 4 buses an hour passing through on routes 50, 50a, 53 and 55.

This cuts back the level of bus service to a financially viable level whilst still maintaining most of the current journey opportunities.

Note the following services are unchanged

- 70/70a Killamarsh-Chesterfield via Halfway tram terminus and Eckington

- 50/50a Sheffield-Chesterfield via Mosborough & Eckington

- 53 Sheffield-Mansfield via Mosborough & Eckington

- 26/26a Crystal Peaks-Kiveton Park via Killamarsh

- 55 Plumbley-Frecheville via Mosborough and Crystal Peaks

- 71/71a journeys early morning, late evening and Sundays that are funded by the local authorities

Edited by Andy C

no link between Mosborough and Killamarsh during the day though

no link between Mosborough and Killamarsh during the day though

How many actually make that journey? Presumably if lots of tickets were sold the direct link would have been kept.

Journey still possible via Halfway (50/70) or via Crystal Peaks (55/72/26)

From experience very few between Mosborough and Halfway board the bus those that do seem to have a concessionary pass

update - the meeting is now 7pm on the 17th so a lot more people will hopefully be able to attend

---------- Post added 08-02-2017 at 10:56 ----------

How many actually make that journey? Presumably if lots of tickets were sold the direct link would have been kept.

Journey still possible via Halfway (50/70) or via Crystal Peaks (55/72/26)

I now use the 70 as I moved to Westfield and two days in a row it hasn't turned up at all and I've had to walk to Killamarsh.

When has the 50 ever gone near halfway?

update - the meeting is now 7pm on the 17th so a lot more people will hopefully be able to attend

---------- Post added 08-02-2017 at 10:56 ----------

I now use the 70 as I moved to Westfield and two days in a row it hasn't turned up at all and I've had to walk to Killamarsh.

When has the 50 ever gone near halfway?

There was a time a few years ago that the evening and I think all day Sunday 50's were renumbered 50B and went as far as Halfway tram stop.