Anti-Virus software for Windows 7 - recommendations?

I have noticed some sellers on eBay seling a one year subscription to McAfee for less than a tenner.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272509313165

Any thoughts or good/bad experiences with any of these?

Has anyone tried this? There are positive reviews from past buyers.

Can anyone recommend Anti-Virus software for Windows 7? I have used McAfee for a long time and was happy with it. But they are now quoting a very high price for renewal and I want to switch to something else.

I am not insisting on a free version of the anti-virus, but have no issues if the best one is free to use. But I am happy to pay a small subscription fee if the software is worth it.

Thanks in advance!

Are you not running MSE?

Are you not running MSE?

No - as I have a paid subscription for McAfee

Hello,

You may like to try Avira antivirus. I've been using it for the last 8 years and never had any trouble using just free version of it. It even offers some features for free, which other antiviruses asks you to pay for.

Thanks

Chopped and changed over the years , moved from AVG after their popups became annoying , then Avast (until same) and currently using Avira.

Always free versions , meber paid for AV although I do pay for the premium malwarebytes software.

Then I read this article today...

http://robert.ocallahan.org/2017/01/disable-your-antivirus-software-except.html?showComment=1485420593006#c8796034982993148051

Now very confused...

Chopped and changed over the years , moved from AVG after their popups became annoying , then Avast (until same) and currently using Avira.

Always free versions , meber paid for AV although I do pay for the premium malwarebytes software.

Then I read this article today...

http://robert.ocallahan.org/2017/01/disable-your-antivirus-software-except.html?showComment=1485420593006#c8796034982993148051

Now very confused...

A question from that link:

Oscar Goldman26 January 2017 at 22:34

Does Microsoft make anti-virus software for the Mac?

What planet has he been on?

A question not often asked is "Will AV "X" work with accessibility software?" (Screenreader for those who have no sight) and that opens a whole new question! If you have accessibility software then the easiest solution is to install the free Microsoft Security Essentials. If you don't need accessibility software then I would go for Comodo Internet Security Suite - which is free but you do need to be careful how you install it - you won't need Geek Buddy or Chromodium Browser. I even use Comodo AV on my Android phone. ;)

Some people have no problem with Macafee and it runs fine for them. Others find it can cripple your PC. It used to regularly make my work laptop useless. Kaspersky I haven't tried but I hear good things and their name certainly crops up a lot in virus/malware news on tech sites ("Kaspersky researchers have found....." etc).

And yes Avast seems to be going through a slightly naggy phase as well. AVG was quite good but then their updates started nagging and slipping in search bar tools in installs - no, thank you.

I have used AVG for the last 8 years but now thinking about un installing it

I have used Microsoft Security Essentials for years ,and it's free.

Some people have no problem with Macafee and it runs fine for them. Others find it can cripple your PC. It used to regularly make my work laptop useless. Kaspersky I haven't tried but I hear good things and their name certainly crops up a lot in virus/malware news on tech sites ("Kaspersky researchers have found....." etc).

And yes Avast seems to be going through a slightly naggy phase as well. AVG was quite good but then their updates started nagging and slipping in search bar tools in installs - no, thank you.

I have used McAfee for years, and it's been fine for me. It is also quite good at detecting risky sites (advertisements from online newspapers). But I do have 8GB of RAM on my desktop, which is why it might not have visibly slowed my machine down.

I had 8 on my work laptop and it would slow it but I was working the thing hard.

I avoid a lot of these dodgy ad sites using a hosts file from the link below.

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm