Anti-Virus software for Windows 7 - recommendations?

I had 8 on my work laptop and it would slow it but I was working the thing hard.

I avoid a lot of these dodgy ad sites using a hosts file from the link below.

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

This sort of thing works even better if you load it onto your router. Then the rules are applied to ALL your devices that connect to your network. If frees up processing horsepower on your PC / Tablets indeed anything connected via the router. You DO need a decent router though.

My ASUS RT-N16 has a VPN connection and an ******* script running all the time and just about copes, though throughput is limited to around 8Mb max on downloads. More modern routers have better processors and are faster.

Oh look, some stars have appeared!! I didn't type that!

Sophos is offering free AV now, a company that only used to offer business grade AV solutions, might be worth checking out and non-intrusive too!

3 hours ago, nathantodd13 said:

My recommendations for you is Norton and Avast. I have used both of them and haven't had any problem. Moreover, both of these keeps their virus library updated. If you want to read then you can read about them at Norton Pros & Cons and Avast Pros & Cons.

Probably two of the worst options imho.... Norton has always had a tainted history....

all you need is Windows Defender, and a monthly Malware Bytes and CCleaner check... 

Windows defender is currently ranked one of the best AV solutions....

Edited by Ghozer