The endless march of building yet more student accommodation

Interestingly student accommodation does not pay council tax, I believe the city has to provide all services like dustbin collection for free. Students cost the tax payers of Sheffield quite a lot.

Interestingly student accommodation does not pay council tax, I believe the city has to provide all services like dustbin collection for free. Students cost the tax payers of Sheffield quite a lot.

I think that's wrong,

From the council website

Student tenants are liable

If there is a single tenancy agreement naming everyone who lives in the property and the owner lives elsewhere.

If the persons liable for Council Tax are the tenants, then more rules are applied (presuming that all those living in the property are named on the tenancy agreement).

This includes:

All the tenants are qualifying students

Everyone named on the tenancy agreement is liable to pay Council Tax.

......so should the council taxpayers of Sheffield subsidize the students or the Landlords?

If this is freeing up more cheap flats and bedsits in terraces for non-students, I'm not seeing it.

I think the exemption is justified since we want to encourage people to study,and I'm sure an assessment of economic contribution would put students as net contributors. But some local councils have tried to levy charges on student accommodation, and been told to back off by Government.

In tax terms, letting is regarded as an investment rather than a business, and so business rates don't apply. At least that's my understanding. However, Universities themselves do pay business rates (charitable rates most probably), so if universities own accommodation themselves (which university of sheffield does), then they are making a contribution in that sense.

However, apparently councils have been getting compensation through the Government Revenue Support Grant. Although apparently this is being phased out.

In which case, that could then put pressure on councils with large student populations.

Housing all the students in flats is now freeing up lots of the terraced housing students traditionally used.

Tends to also keep the students and their noise abit more contained.

I like this. The students on my road are ok but they dont really integrate into the community - I'm not surprised and i was the same when I was a student (many, many years ago). I'd welcome back more owner occupiers as my neighbours. Less transient and more stake in the local area.

Next victim is Buyrgone Arms that been closed since 2008 to make way for apartments.

Next victim is Buyrgone Arms that been closed since 2008 to make way for apartments.

It was a complete mess when I went past. Dont think its been gutted though. It wasnt a pretty sight at the best of times. Some young man on here wanted to buy it and turn it into a community centre , but imo the time of pubs has passed or at least as many. If its been derelict since 2008, then clearly nobody has come up with a better idea and has been willing to invest.

Not really a victim then if it's been closed for nearly 10 years.

People on here are odd, would rather have rotting pubs still standing rather than someone coming along and doing something useful with the land.

...I'd welcome back more owner occupiers as my neighbours. Less transient and more stake in the local area.

good luck, the houses are still owned by landlords, they're not selling up.

good luck, the houses are still owned by landlords, they're not selling up.

They will if no one is coming along to rent their properties.