The endless march of building yet more student accommodation

Why would it?

Well Brexit is supposed to be all about stopping immigration. As such the Government are still insisting that they're going to reduce immigration to under 100,000 per year after leaving the EU and as the only way they can possibly do that is to restrict international students they've refused to exempt them from the limit (a hugely shortsighted move that will cost the UK a serious amount of money). Those international students are filling up these posh student blocks (more so than UK students anyway) as they're already paying a fortune to study in the UK and expect good accomodation. If the Government succeeds in reducing immigration (a big if) then they'll be less demand.

Edited by Funky_Gibbon

Exactly that, you cant buy to let a house in alot of areas, now around Ecclesall at the moment, the council want families back in houses, so buy to lets are being dismissed upon application. The universities astronomical fees (profit) mean they are building alot, more buildings means more courses are available...thus even more students.Thats basically why most new flats being built are students only. More and more students are coming and they need housing, its a shame that us locals dont get them though. I think we have too many students as it is,but thats just my opinion, seems most are happy with more of them year on year. The only good thing il say, at least the Sheffield skyline is starting to look better, thats mainly the new university buildings.

Just a few thoughts.

Most of these student accommodation blocks are private, not built or owned by either University.

Student numbers are falling. In 2010/11 there were 2.5 million students. In 2015/16 there were 2.28 million students. And with a demographic dip among 18 year old about to hit up to about 2020, student numbers will fall further. Also, there is pressure on international recruitment, partly because of Brexit and partly because of Government policy which is unwelcoming and restrictive.

Recruitment at the two universities in Sheffield changes over time. Hallam is smaller now than at its peak a few years ago. Sheffield Uni seems to have got a little bit bigger.

"Astronomical fees" is an interesting perspective. Obviously the fact students now have to pay fees is politically controversial, but from a University's point of view the matter is complex. Before fees, Universities were given block teaching grants, plus other funding. That funding has almost entirely disappeared with the introduction of fees.

For a couple of years, Universities had a bit more surplus because most of them charged the maximum fee, and so they were able to offset the loss of teaching grants against slightly higher income from fees. But fees were frozen, and so over time their value has decreased, while costs have of course increased. It is not the case that Universities make "profits", but if they can make a surplus then that will be reinvested in the estate among other things in order to improve the experience of students.

The point being that fees are not about Universities make more money than they were before - they have lost a huge chunk of funding, and fees are an eroding replacement.

Also, worth noting that fees are still less per year than some private schools charge per term, and less than most private schools charge per year. Eton charges over £12,300 per term. Sheffield High School for Girls charges over £12000 per year. Westbourne charges nearly £4k per term. Birkdale is similar.

I for one think its a disgraceful state of affairs. The money should be used to reopen up the Hole In the Road, rebuild Castle Market, all the little mesters shops and that awful eggbox building that used to be attached to the Town Hall. Oh and the reopening of the rag and tag markets.

Only then can Sheffield progress to be anywhere near a world super power....

I hear decision on the Star & Garter delayed till 14th Feb pending a site visit

I thought the decision was going to committee? Has there been a planning committee meeting that has discussed this do you know?

There's the large new development on the old Laycock's site between Suffolk Road and Turner Street near the station. Even the Co Op Funeral place has joined the student rentals game converting their flat for use.

Is it just me or is nearly every building in the city centre is being turned into student accommodation,

on Broad lane and Scotland street are 2 that I can think of straight away.

I went to look at a potential business building yesterday to be told by the agents its only on short term let as they are changing it to student accommodation, so I have to give up on that.

I am sure there are enough accommodation here already and the universities are still the same size, so wheres the extra students heading to?

What about just normal flats for first time buyers instead?

I just don't get it.

Is it just me or is nearly every building in the city centre is being turned into student accommodation,

I went to look at a potential business building yesterday to be told by the agents its only on short term let as they are changing it to student accommodation, so I have to give up on that.

I am sure there are enough accommodation here already and the universities are still the same size, so wheres the extra students heading to?

I just don't get it.

Universities still the same size? Have you driven through Brook Hill of late? Or visited Fitzalan Square. Both Uni's are constantly expanding, either by building new or renovating old.

Housing all the students in flats is now freeing up lots of the terraced housing students traditionally used.

Tends to also keep the students and their noise abit more contained.

I just don't get it.

Probably because private investors can make more money from students.

Hope this helps.