The endless march of building yet more student accommodation

Read on the ' Star ' website that it is likely that the council is set to approve four big student accommodation blocks. The West Street development will see the demolition of West Street Ale House along with the buildings next door a fairly large brick built block with a glass section on the roof is planned for that site .St.Vincent Church off Solly Street will see the reuse of the church building with an block opposite it . The Star and Garter on Winter Street is set to go for a tall office style block another development which sits on an corner site is in the style of an warehouse. Given the amount of student accommodation that's already built or planned plus house let's dotted about and city centre accommodation is their an danger of supply outstripping demand surly their is enough already?

Thank goodness for it. There is little else in the way of developments in this city.

They dont build these things on a whim. They certainly must have a stong belief that the demand is there or they wouldn't keep building it.

Students are one of the few things that is bringing money into this place at the moment. The biggest money comes from foreign students who have the means to pay and demands well above ye olde shared terraced house digs.

We therefore have to ensure that there is enough provision and provision at the right standards.

In my opinion such that developments can lead to improvements to a whole area. A case in point is Neepsend and Shalesmoor. I have doubt that the improvements to the facilities, quality increase in the pubs and shops and influx of new businesses would simply not have happened without the increase of new student population nearby.

Edited by ECCOnoob

It does seem like the only major housing being built is for students. Is this because there are more students, or because they're moving out of the older terraced privately let accommodation, thus freeing that up for families?

If it's the latter it's not such a bad thing. If it's because we're piling in more and more students that's a different and more complex issue.

It does seem like the only major housing being built is for students. Is this because there are more students, or because they're moving out of the older terraced privately let accommodation, thus freeing that up for families?

If it's the latter it's not such a bad thing. If it's because we're piling in more and more students that's a different and more complex issue.

It seems to be the latter from my experience. I've a family member who lives just off ecclesall road and a on her road the number of students is reducing and families are returning and moving into the area again.

She's pleased about this as the immediate area around her house is returning to family accommodation and not a street full of HMO's and students with the problems some of them bring (litter, noise, 5 cars per house etc)

If the new accommodation blocks are built on brownfield sites such as the Neepsend area it can only be a good thing surely!,bringing the area back to life again!.Nothing is more depressing than driving through demolished areas stood for years neglected when Sheffielders of my age can remember them as vibrant and populated!.In my humble opinion the building can be a good thing!.

With weekly rent up to £150 per week per person, and preformed buildings that go up in no time at all, there is little wonder that there is a proliferation of Student accommodation. One positive is that some of the current housing stock could come onto the market and hold or bring down the house prices, especially for first time buyers.

One day demand may outstrip supply. Infact prices to rent the accommodation is crazy high so im sure that some accommodation will be half empty as students continue to rent cheaper houses.

Incidentally I think this is because of tuition fees. When I studied fees were between £1000 and £1150. So I always chose the cheapest rent which varied between £1600 and £2100. I could work part time 20 weeks per year and be debt free whilst still having some money to live on. Now student fees seem to be £7-9000, students realise they are going to be in a lot of debt at the end of the degree so they just treat themselves to the nicest accommodation.

One day demand may outstrip supply. Infact prices to rent the accommodation is crazy high so im sure that some accommodation will be half empty as students continue to rent cheaper houses.

Incidentally I think this is because of tuition fees. When I studied fees were between £1000 and £1150. So I always chose the cheapest rent which varied between £1600 and £2100. I could work part time 20 weeks per year and be debt free whilst still having some money to live on. Now student fees seem to be £7-9000, students realise they are going to be in a lot of debt at the end of the degree so they just treat themselves to the nicest accommodation.

Not so sure about your reasons, maybe you are right, but I think the vast majority of the inner city 'expensive' student flats are going to foreign students who will likely have their parents paying. None of this is a bad thing though, it's completely rejuvenated some very run down parts of town, brought in lots of money that's going to businesses and really helped drive huge change and improvements right across town. Now if only Shef Uni hadn't made the pavement past the Diamond about 50m wide so we could have 3 full sized lanes for traffic rather than mini lanes I'd have almost no whinges about Uni at all ;)

With weekly rent up to £150 per week per person, and preformed buildings that go up in no time at all, there is little wonder that there is a proliferation of Student accommodation. One positive is that some of the current housing stock could come onto the market and hold or bring down the house prices, especially for first time buyers.

And get rid of bad landlords cramming loads of students into one residential house, often upsetting the neighbours.

If the new accommodation blocks are built on brownfield sites such as the Neepsend area it can only be a good thing surely!,bringing the area back to life again!.Nothing is more depressing than driving through demolished areas stood for years neglected when Sheffielders of my age can remember them as vibrant and populated!.In my humble opinion the building can be a good thing!.

There's one currently going up on Meadow Street in Shalesmoor as well.

Plenty more brownfield sites down there to choose from, I hope the regeneration continues.

Gone are the days when students would be satisfied with slummy bedsits in rough areas. Competition for students is very fierce and so universities have to provide the best facilities they can. Universities are big business and Sheffield has to keep up with market trends.

The demand for Uni further education in Sheffield and other places will dwindle one day,and lots of what is being built will be used up as social housing!