Chapeltown and Ecclesfield - good places to live?

Hi, appreciate this is a much-posted subject but most posts I've seen are from 2013 at the latest, so after any more recent views.

We're shifting from Walkley shortly and have seen some nice houses in Ecclesfield and Chapeltown. We're moving to accommodate a growing family, so we need to be somewhere with decent schools and that's ideally a friendly place to grow up.

From some of what I've read on here and elsewhere these places could be good, others almost suggest if I move there I should make sure to bring a gun and a stab vest. I imagine the truth is somewhere in between!

So, any thoughts and experiences welcome!

We've lived in Chapeltown since 2004 on the Blackburn Estate - it's really quiet and friendly. Can't tell you about the schools as we don't have kids. I believe the Wagon pud right in the centre can get a bit lively but we don't go out drinking here so have no personal experience. You can see greenery all around the edge of Chap and it feels quite like a small market town, but only a short drive from the amenities of the city. I'd say go for it.

I have lived in Chapeltown for over 20 years and it's fine, although there have been a few serious incidents in the area over the years. For crime stats and locations go to https://www.police.uk/south-yorkshire/ and look at East Ecclesfield and West Ecclesfield and then compare it with where you are now.

Ecclesfield has the feel of a small village, with a strong community, and I love it here.

There are shops, pubs, restaurants, a good primary and secondary school, a park, a library (now staffed by volunteers thanks to the cuts) a beautiful old church and thriving church community if that's your thing. There's even a theatre.

It's also close to countryside, has 2 bus routes into town, isn't far from Meadowhall, and has easy access to the M1.