WW2 army bedding.

Did the army supply bed sheets to soldiers who were in barracks in the U.K. during the second world war? My mate and I have a difference of opinion about it at the moment.I say they did and he says not.

I do not think so but remember reading somewhere that sheets were supplied in hospitals.

Sorry, I did not read that correctly. I thought you meant bedding in general not just sheets.

When I first joined up in the early eighties we were issued sheets, a counter pane and 3 of the itchiest blankets known to man.

Sorry, I did not read that correctly. I thought you meant bedding in general not just sheets.

When I first joined up in the early eighties we were issued sheets, a counter pane and 3 of the itchiest blankets known to man.

All the fun of making bedding boxes for inspections !

Don't forget the bedside mat.

Edited by harvey19

We had sheets when I was in the army I the 50s.Maybe there were no sheets during the war because the material was used for the war effort.

I joined up in 1962 you got 2 blankets, two Sheets, two Pillow cases.

The blankets had 3 lines down the middle so that you could get them central. In the winter we put our great coat on the bed as an extra Blanket.

I remember ironing my sheets to warm them up, putting them on my bed and jumping in while they were still warm, greatcoat on top.

We even put newspapers between the blankets in the winter, mind you it made a rustling sound when you turned over.

So no sheets then, Just three blankets.

I expect that providing sheets for the number of men there were, would have been impossible to do. We had wool of course even though it was coarse. Cotten would have had to be imported and Uniform shirts and denim overalls would have to come first.

I had one of my dads old army blankets. When my older daughter was a child it was on her bed under the mattress, to give some insulation from the cold metal frame.

I don't really know, my stewards always made mine for me.

I don't know really know what the men had, but I suppose they got along.

No stewards in the army old boy we had a batman.