Demolition and futility

I've been observing the gradual demolition of the Grosvenor hotel over the last several days which has been quite compelling in an odd sort of way. It got me wondering what it's like to watch a building that you have helped construct being demolished - do people feel upset, do they feel a sense of futility in having spent so much time and effort in constructing something which is so easily destroyed, or are they not bothered?

Is anyone reading this who helped build the Grosvenor and if so, how does it make you feel?

I had nowt to do with building the twin cooling towers at Tinsley, but it did upset me driving home along the M1 and not seeing them anymore :(

I worked on the Hallamshire Hospital, travelling up the outside of the building in a contractors lift.

I had nowt to do with building the twin cooling towers at Tinsley, but it did upset me driving home along the M1 and not seeing them anymore :(

what cooling towers?

I worked on the Grosvenor , also The Polytechnic, (now the Hallam University). The Castle Market , Sheffield University , Boots High Street refurbishment 1969 ish), Park Hill, Hyde Park and Kelvin Flats , also many more City projects in the sixty's and seventy's and to be honest to see all the waste that has occurred in materials , energy , labour and planning makes my blood boil.

My father has seen a lot of buildings demolished that he helped build.He doesnt appear to get upset by it though,being a builder he is always happy to see something new created in its place.

I worked on the Grosvenor , also The Polytechnic, (now the Hallam University). The Castle Market , Sheffield University , Boots High Street refurbishment 1969 ish), Park Hill, Hyde Park and Kelvin Flats , also many more City projects in the sixty's and seventy's and to be honest to see all the waste that has occurred in materials , energy , labour and planning makes my blood boil.

Do you think it was bad planning at the time that led to buildings being knocked down or do you think it's about people wanting more modern buildings to look at and work in?

My father has seen a lot of buildings demolished that he helped build.He doesnt appear to get upset by it though,being a builder he is always happy to see something new created in its place.

If you are proud of your work as well as the plans that Architects put in place in the fifty's and sixty's to make this City unique in its outlook to the future then you are sad to see it ruined.

To see all that hard work and planning reduced to a pile of dust by new kids on the block who think they know what Sheffield needs without even looking into the City's past or even asking what the long suffering citizens who made the place World famous in the first place want then those same citizens stop caring .

Where else is there a major City or Town without a Market area .

Who else would build World famous athletic facility's or a Town Hall extension and only a few years later reduce those well thought out projects to rubble.

Edited by samssong

Do you think it was bad planning at the time that led to buildings being knocked down or do you think it's about people wanting more modern buildings to look at and work in?

Playing devils advocate, bad workmanship perhaps? The 60s hasnt got a great reputation for building or architecture!

The planning at the time was unique .

Take the streets in the sky as one example , Hyde Park and Park Hill .

The plan was for the thousands who moved to the areas to be able to walk into Town without crossing a road , the paths lead from the top of Shewsbury Road and down across the Park Hill roundabout straight into Sheffields prime shopping areas around the Castle Market (built at the same time so as to be part of the grand plan.

Less than fifty years later the whole Market area has been decimated ,the paths have been shut off and!!!! the flats that where built as social housing have been given away to private enterprise who then sell them on to well healed folk who can not wait to tell who ever will listen how marvellous it is to live so close to the City centre and enjoy the wonderful views on offer.

While all this grand planning from the council goes on young people are sleeping on the streets or having to live with mam and dad for ever as they will never get a home of their own.

As to the Market area it is now after a thousand years of being the major trading area in our City reduced to a derelict wilderness while at the same time being speculated on by the same daft planners as being one day a tourist area .

Crackers!!!!!

---------- Post added 18-01-2017 at 20:23 ----------

Playing devils advocate, bad workmanship perhaps? The 60s hasnt got a great reputation for building or architecture!

Gleadless Valley????

Grosvernor was well and truly past its sell by. It wast even that big. faschinating watching him knock it down. V solid as its slow the way they are doing it. Buildings get knocked down all the time. Catsle market and extension to tow hall good riddance tbh (although CM was a more intersting place to visit. Times have moved on, cars and the internet have helped change people shopping habits completely.

The things I rememver was how packed the entrance to Sheaf market was with a sea of people, same on the Moor. Only see that in Meadowhall now.

Grosvernor was well and truly past its sell by. It wast even that big. faschinating watching him knock it down. V solid as its slow the way they are doing it. Buildings get knocked down all the time. Catsle market and extension to tow hall good riddance tbh (although CM was a more intersting place to visit. Times have moved on, cars and the internet have helped change people shopping habits completely.

The things I rememver was how packed the entrance to Sheaf market was with a sea of people, same on the Moor. Only see that in Meadowhall now.

Just a few short months ago TJ Hughes on High Street was packed to the rafters with shoppers . you had to wait in line to get through the doors .

So what did they do they move it just about as far as possible from the Town centre to the new Market building and now it is spot the customer.