Safest rat bedding to use

Hi .. wanting to know the best and safest rat bedding you can buy .. Most I've read about are very dusty which is harmful to a rat respiratory system .. any one here who owns rats could help please..

I used to have rats and I had them on cardboard squares. I'm allergic to dust so it benefited both me and them :)

NOT sawdust

we use some of those small bags of different coloured springy stuff, cant remember what its called tbh LOL, and a friend gives us big bags of finely shredded documents

NOT sawdust

we use some of those small bags of different coloured springy stuff, cant remember what its called tbh

Carefresh??

I heard carefresh is not really suitable for rats .. could I use straw or would that scratch the rats eyes .. toilet paper is safe I read but can be messy .. saw some confetti bedding in pets at home but I worry the coloured paper could be harmful if indegested. . Can't find anything sold in shops that is deemed safe .. yesturday news is recommended but it's an American brand. Cardboard is a good idea .. would that be comfy enough for them?

I wouldn't advise straw.

I found cardboard worked well for me and the rats, they seemed very comfortable on it, even taking cardboard squares from the floor of the cage up to their "bed" and sleeping on it!

I use aubiose for my gerbils, rabbits and degus.

tbh our rats prefer a hammock fastened to the top of the cage rather than being on the bedding in their house on the bottom lol, all 3 piled into the hammock

What about sawdust with the dust extracted.. is that safe or is it to be avoided

---------- Post added 18-01-2017 at 23:26 ----------

Or even hay with dust extracted.. my friend had some for her rabbit

I use both Aubiose and Megazorb for my boys, buy it from the equine place in Penistone, a bale lasts aaaages!

Definitely not sawdust - even the dust extracted stuff. I believe there's an issue with the pine oils as well as the dust. I use finacard, shredded cardboard. I also give them shredded newspaper or a shredded paper product for their hammock. I have bought other cardboard beddings - most are fine. But a couple of times, I've had used cardboard passed off as bedding - with plastic tape / labels, staples etc.

---------- Post added 20-01-2017 at 23:19 ----------

My rats have all got on well with cardboard - they particularly like posting it through the cage bars if I'm not paying them much attention. One advantage over paper-based products is that it doesn't get as soggy underfoot.