Possible asbestos exposure dunford & elliotts / davys?

Hi,

Can anyone please provide any information relating to Davys & Dunford and Elliotts?

My husband worked at both companies in the 1960's/70's and 80's.

I am trying to find out any information relating to possible exposure to asbestos within these two companies?

Thank you in advance for any information / source / names of workers you can provide

Begora

More likely if he was a trade man he would have come in contact with this terrible stuff the pipes were lagged with it Furnace bottoms were lined with it boilers were rapped in it

Edited by raymondo1952
Missed some out

Hi

Was the asbestos at Dunford & Elliotts or Davys. My husband was Ashley Jenkinson did you know him?

Just to be clear begora.... Just about everyone who worked in ANY steelworks would be likely to have come into contact with it at one time or another. Some fitters and electricians also had the unenviable task of cutting it and fitting it. The risks were well known but more often than not, underplayed.

Just to be clear begora.... Just about everyone who worked in ANY steelworks would be likely to have come into contact with it at one time or another. Some fitters and electricians also had the unenviable task of cutting it and fitting it. The risks were well known but more often than not, underplayed.

My husband was an electronics engineer whilst at Dunfords working on and modifying multiple circuit boards. It is thought that he had inhaled asbestos fibres whilst carrying out this work. Have you any knowledge or know anyone who has passed away from asbestos exposure whilst working at

Dunfords.

You are spot on mate, I gobbled up a lot of asbestos dust, working as a contractor in lots of steelworks and during 8 years in maintenance in a major steelworks where I served my apprenticeship. All with no respiratory protection, other than 20 to 30 Park Drive a day, lol

My husband was an electronics engineer whilst at Dunfords working on and modifying multiple circuit boards. It is thought that he had inhaled asbestos fibres whilst carrying out this work. Have you any knowledge or know anyone who has passed away from asbestos exposure whilst working at

Dunfords.

They're were people that worked for insulation companies- 1940's-50's 60's in Sheffield, Darlington's and Simpkin-Machin etc- and every product they touched while doing their job was Asbestos based.

Edited by stpetre
add

I worked for a furnace repair company for seven years. It was everywhere. I've even carted loads of scrap sindanyo to the land-fill tips with the dust blowing back in my face :(

The only person that I knew (personally) that succumbed to it, was a sparky at Sheffield Twist drill.

Edit to add:

I only found out about my friend's demise when I read about it online, some years after the event. Irwin Mitchell dealt with his case. They might be worth a a call.

Edited by handypandy

I worked for a furnace repair company for seven years. It was everywhere. I've even carted loads of scrap sindanyo to the land-fill tips with the dust blowing back in my face :(

The only person that I knew (personally) that succumbed to it, was a sparky at Sheffield Twist drill.

Edit to add:

I only found out about my friend's demise when I read about it online, some years after the event. Irwin Mitchell dealt with his case. They might be worth a a call.

Thank you for this. However, I have already been through Irwin Mitchell and they couldn't find anyone in their records that has been in contact with asbestos who had worked at Dunfords or Davys.

Hi i worked at Napier Steels many many moons age , any with same problems from there . I used a product { bagged ) that you opened and put into containers to carry hot ingots . I may be wrong but possibly called fermiculite .Can anyone shed light on this , cheers .

Edit to add:

Same here buddy ,The shut down weeks were the worse the bloody stuff was every where.

The building trade was a time bomb with asbestos lagging to boiler rooms as well the fire proofing inserted in floors etc.

We all used it and cut it to fit with saws .

I have lost friends in the last ten years to this disease who all worked in the building trade both inside the works and on out side sites .

Hi i worked at Napier Steels many many moons age , any with same problems from there . I used a product { bagged ) that you opened and put into containers to carry hot ingots . I may be wrong but possibly called fermiculite .Can anyone shed light on this , cheers .

The nearest I can get to that is 'Vermiculite' it came in three feet tall bags and resembled dry Quaker oats. It was very light and was, when I worked for an insulation company 1962-86, used for insulating loft floors (between the joists) but sometime later around 1964, 'Fibreglass' was preferred when that was available in rolls.

Edited by stpetre
add