Waggon & Horses, Millhouses

Really enjoying having you just round the corner - keep up the good work!

Which waggon and horses are we talking about ?

Really enjoying having you just round the corner - keep up the good work!

Thank you!

---------- Post added 07-06-2014 at 13:37 ----------

Which waggon and horses are we talking about ?

On Abbeydale Road South, on Millhouses Park.

Year ago, during the summer months we always used to walk up from town very early evening with the dog, walk round the woods then drop off to have a meal, a few pints and then home before the Friday night drinkers come out. So decided to give it a go again now it has changed.

Staff were lovely and friendly, bar staff made an effort to talk and serving staff efficient. Only went inside briefly to bar / toilet as outside with dog but it was all sparkly clean inside. Food was quick and did the job, for the price and brand you know what you are going to get. I've always thought the building was lovely.

I would always go to Broadfield for homemade/ original type pub food and nice ales, and for just drinking I stick to the real ale pubs around chesterfield road area (sheaf view/ white lion) However it would be unfair to compare as they offer completely different things.

As long as the weather is nice we will most likely pop back. I forgot to ask if dogs are allowed in the tiled bit at the entrance as then it can go on our list as a drop off during winter too. I think we are very lucky that most of my favourite places allow well behaved dogs in, but still a bit short of places that do food and dogs and it's too chilly to sit outside most of the year in the UK!

Never noticed this thread before.

We visited a couple of weeks ago on a Sunday tea time.

Sadly the food was average at best. The staff quickly discounted our meal but we'd rather have had the quality we originally paid for.

Maybe it was a one off but can't see us returning anytime soon.

Year ago, during the summer months we always used to walk up from town very early evening with the dog, walk round the woods then drop off to have a meal, a few pints and then home before the Friday night drinkers come out. So decided to give it a go again now it has changed.

Staff were lovely and friendly, bar staff made an effort to talk and serving staff efficient. Only went inside briefly to bar / toilet as outside with dog but it was all sparkly clean inside. Food was quick and did the job, for the price and brand you know what you are going to get. I've always thought the building was lovely.

I would always go to Broadfield for homemade/ original type pub food and nice ales, and for just drinking I stick to the real ale pubs around chesterfield road area (sheaf view/ white lion) However it would be unfair to compare as they offer completely different things.

As long as the weather is nice we will most likely pop back. I forgot to ask if dogs are allowed in the tiled bit at the entrance as then it can go on our list as a drop off during winter too. I think we are very lucky that most of my favourite places allow well behaved dogs in, but still a bit short of places that do food and dogs and it's too chilly to sit outside most of the year in the UK!

Interesting perspective.

If you like the Broadfield, as do I, for its great choice of beers/drinks and home-made real food, then I don't understand how you could be satisfied or enjoy eating/drinking at some place like the Waggon? (Not having a dig at the Waggon specifically here, just those kind of "chain" type foodie pubs).

I'm not having a go btw, I think it's admirable that you can put these type of places into two different categories and enjoy both, but I couldn't. I am sure I could enjoy it for different reasons, the location, the décor, whatever...but if I want to drink beer, I want to drink really good beer and if I want to eat out then I would choose the home-made stuff over the mass produced, frozen, microwave fare that they serve up in many pubs (and sorry if I am being unfair on the Waggon here, but that is unfortunately the case in many pubs).

Reminds me a bit of my brother...

He is no more impressed with a fine meal at Fischer's of Baslow or The Old Vicarage than he would be having a fry up at a greasy spoon café. It's just food to him, that's all. Something that is necessary to remain alive.

As some others have said on this thread, the food at the Waggon, "does the job".

I cannot think of anything worse!

Food is meant to be enjoyed, not just something to fill a hole.

Reminds me a bit of my brother...

He is no more impressed with a fine meal at Fischer's of Baslow or The Old Vicarage than he would be having a fry up at a greasy spoon café. It's just food to him, that's all. Something that is necessary to remain alive.

As some others have said on this thread, the food at the Waggon, "does the job".

I cannot think of anything worse!

Food is meant to be enjoyed, not just something to fill a hole.

Maybe I fall in to Evei's category, but you can like different things as and when you need them.When I lived in the States I loved proper crap 'red neck' bars, they were down to earth and fun, but i worked in a 2* Michelin equivalent. I would prefer to find a really cool down to earth back st bar than some jumped up one a lot of the time. But then when in London I like Groucho Club, worlds apart!

When it comes to eating I eat pretty much anything, and have eaten from the best to very poor. You also have to consider finances, I couldn't afford to eat at Fischers every night and neither could most of my friends. We don't eat out upmarket as a group very often as we need to cover a lot of bases from taste to cost, so sometimes Wetherspoons or Waggon equivalents are right up our street.

Would I rather fillet topped with foie gras, yes. Could I eat it before a night out on West St, probably not. Inexpensive food can still be cooked and presented decently. Just because I pay £6 instead of £20 is no excuse for it to be cold/burnt/uncooked/tasteless. It seems the Waggon is filling this bracket with few of the afore mentioned.

Hi everyone!

Stefan the General Manager here just wanting to let you guys know whats been happening here at the Waggon since we opened up back in February, its been a while since I posted so wanted to just bring everyone up to speed with what we have going on at the minute!

As most of you may know we launched on a rather reserved menu, but have recently moved onto a brilliant new menu with lots and lots of new dishes, most of our kitchen problems have been ironed out now apart from not having enough space to keep up that is!

So heres our main news!

> We now have Sky Sports and BT Sports and show all the sports on 3 different TV's in our bar area, so we can have 3 different events on at once (Golf, Rugby and Football)

> A brand new menu including dishes such as, trashcan challenge, donut burger, kebabs, fajitas and greats desserts such as Apple Crookie and our Mountain of Sweet. If you visited in the first few months, I would strongly recommend coming back and having a try of the new menu - a huge improvement!

> Sunday Night Quiz is in full flow, free nibbles, beer vouchers, £20 and £10 vouchers starts, play your cards right, the fun kicks off at 9pm!

> We have a full line up of great entertainment coming up over the Xmas period.

29th November is our Elton John Tribute night

6th December Meatloaf

13th Freddie Mercury (who rocked the place last time her came!)

20th Cher tribute

All are free to book but are filling up very very fast - just call 01142361451 to reserve your table.

> Christmas menus are here - £9.99 for 2 courses or 3 for £12.99 for our Xmas Party menu, or if you really want to treat yourself this Xmas we have our 4 Course Xmas Day at £37.99, coupled with some of the cheapest bar pices around you can't go wrong!

> LAST BUT NOT LEAST

DUE TO OUR SUCCESS SINCE OPENING WE WILL BE CLOSING SHORTLY FOR A FEW DAYS AS WE HAVE ANOTHER REFURBISHMENT!

New seats, decorating, lights, our new Cask Club were every 7th pint is FREE, and lots lots more going on too! We do have a facebook page where all the latest is posted regularly just look out for waggonmillhouses to stay up to date with our events and news, and chances to win prizes too!

Really hope everyone is having a great day and thanks for reading, any questions please feel free to ask or message me directly and I will be willing to answer your queries!

Thanks, Stefan!

Thanks for the update Stefan. Have been in a few times and haven't been disappointed yet. Looking forward to sampling the new grub!

OH went with kids and her parents on Sunday. They said food was ok though not as hot as it ought to have been and that it took an HOUR to arrive! Good value food mind.

Hi everyone - thank you for all your comments on this thread, I genuinely have sat and read each and everyone to use as knowledge in making this place how it used to be maybe 5-10 years ago.

I know there used to be a great quiz night here on Sundays and Tuesdays, I'm going to start and re-introduce the format that the people of Millhouses used to play some years ago - So starting from 30th November at 9pm, I will be re-introducing the Bingo style quiz format with great prizes to be won with it, if you fancy a bit more fast paced fun you can come in at 8pm and play our warm up Buzzer game, no pens, no cheating, no tie-breaks, its fast fun and addictive.

Also in true Waggon and Horses fashion, were going for the New Years eve fancy dress party, £5 a ticket including a buffet and DJ until late.

Cask Club, every 8th pint is free, this is launching very soon, you get a card which is stamped, every 7 you buy your next one is free. This beats all discounts around on Cask Ales, this can also be used with your CAMRA card which entitles you to 10% off all Cask Ale.

I really am trying to make this place the vibrant go to place it used to be before it was destroyed by Pestos lack of having a bar area - all I ask is that to make this the place it once was is that, give us a try. As a community we can make this place a busy pub again.

Thank you all for your feedback once more and any questions feel free to ask me, via comment or private message.

Stefan - General Manager

---------- Post added 17-11-2014 at 21:45 ----------

You can now bring dogs into our bar area and dine!

Walk in via the main road entrance and turn right, this is our bar area which is dog friendly, we will soon be starting dog meals too, but watch this space for that one! :D

Thank you!

---------- Post added 17-11-2014 at 21:47 ----------

Never noticed this thread before.

We visited a couple of weeks ago on a Sunday tea time.

Sadly the food was average at best. The staff quickly discounted our meal but we'd rather have had the quality we originally paid for.

Maybe it was a one off but can't see us returning anytime soon.

Hi Dan, really sorry to here we didn't meet your expectations, could you possibly drop me your telephone number via PM and we can discuss?

Hopefully get you back down to rectify the problems?

Thanks, Stefan

---------- Post added 17-11-2014 at 21:48 ----------

Hi Just been for tea tonight with my friend and my children. We all had a great meal, the service was excellent all for a very reasonable price.

We Will definitely be going back.

Thank you, glad you had a good time! :D

Good luck the place is pretty good now cant speak for the food but the bar area is as good if not better than its ever been.

Need locals to support it now.