Waggon & Horses, Millhouses

The Broadfield and the Wagon are on the same side of the city; only about a mile and half in it distance-wise.

Going out of the city, once past Broady and Heeley Triangle, then what ?

Going out of the city, once past Broady and Heeley Triangle, then what ?

I`m hoping the beer range will increase once the place beds in. Seems to be pulling in the food trade easily but not drinkers, yet. We do need a decent boozer. A micro pub type place would do well to serve Woodseats and beauchief, and further beyond to Dore n Totley.

Oh, I've been past there. Not my kind of place at all, but it obviously appeals to others as it's been there a long time and must be successful.

I'll have to dream on for a decent pub in my area...

I was hoping for something like the Barley Mow in Kirk Ireton.

I love that pub. The Barley Mow in Kirk Ireton. Like somewhere time forgot eh? Beer in jugs behind the bar - or you can be awkward and send the old girl down the cellar to fetch one up! Then change your mind. :hihi:

---------- Post added 07-04-2017 at 08:20 ----------

I've not been in the Waggon & Horses for years - despite it having had more makeovers than Barbara Cartland.

Why? Because it screams out "Chain Pub" that's why. And that to me is a bad thing.

I'm instantly put off by these "Sizzling" and "Flaming" and all that type of thing. It is appealing to a certain clientele - many of whom are reading this forum now going..."never mind that....tell us, Arr much is it?" and "do they do 2 meals for a fiver?" These are folks who love frozen food reheated in a microwave with packet gravy. They love their veg "well done" with all the nutrients boiled out of them, not crisp and al dente.

I have to report though, that my son went in there the other week. He's just 18 so hasn't got a wide knowledge of pubs - but he said the burgers were very good! So well done Waggon & Horses on the burgers at least - and now my curiosity has increased a little. Could it really be that a chain pub is turning out reasonably good food? :suspect:

I've come in a bit late on this thread but I was impressed that the new owner was bothering to try and understand the past history of the place so that he could recreate something that the local people wanted.

Although I wasn't brought up in the area, like many kids from all over Sheffield, we used to visit Millhouses Park for one reason above all other - the Lido. It was as good as being on holiday, going there on a hot summers day, maybe taking a picnic too. I really loved it - one of my favourite places. When I was in my teens me and my mates would head there regularly in summer - to lounge around the pool areas in our Speedo's!:gag: Eyeing the girls in their bikini's.:love: It was where young love started for many of us.

The Waggon used to be a very trendy pub back then. Probably because it was very handy en route to a nightclub that was "Fiveways" then later, "Fanny's" at Owler Bar. The Waggon was a place that young folks 18-25, would go of an evening, in their finest wear, looking to pull - or at the very least, get a sneak preview of the gorgeous ladies who would be turning up at Fanny's a few hours later. It was like a pre-meeting opportunity with some of the classiest ladies in town. (And I'm sure they felt the same about us too!).;)

Now, if you could recreate THAT at the Waggon & Horses, I think it would be extremely popular - sod the beer and the food!:D

Edited by DerbyTup

I don't fancy reheated food and 2 for 5£, boiled vegy.

Point is, burgers were bigger, now they are smaller.

Also, I can't look at ladies, because my wife is beside me, so food is only reason to go there

Edited by Guest

Guest sibon
I went in for lunch a few weeks ago, with the dog. The dog wasn't allowed in the restaurant bit, but they were happy enough to bring our food down to the drinking bit.

And I popped back in tonight and everything had changed. I still couldn't take the dog in the restaurant, but I was only allowed to order from a very limited bar menu in the main pub. As I didn't fancy a pizza, or a burger, I went elsewhere.

The restaurant was almost empty. I think they need a rethink.

Like it or not the Robin Hood has the pub/pub food market in that area pretty much sussed.

A regular trade of day and nighttime regulars who meet up in there and have done for years,reasonably priced food and beer with a good choice and the place is always spotlessly clean.

Am only an occasional visitor these days as its not particularly my type of place but respect to them for getting the business right for the area.

I went with some friends on a Friday lunch time I was not impressed at all, after my last experience some time ago, thought we would give it a try. The menu is very limited, either pizza, burgers or breakfasts.. Some sandwiches so I had the crispy buttered chicken, well there was a lot of overcooked crispy but not much chicken. My friend had a bacon sandwich and asked for some mushrooms on it but that would have been £2 extra!! Gave it a chance but wont be going again.

Like it or not the Robin Hood has the pub/pub food market in that area pretty much sussed.

A regular trade of day and nighttime regulars who meet up in there and have done for years,reasonably priced food and beer with a good choice and the place is always spotlessly clean.

Am only an occasional visitor these days as its not particularly my type of place but respect to them for getting the business right for the area.

Yes, I think the Robin has the right formula for the area. I go there fairly regularly and have so far never been disappointed. It has a good atmosphere and the food is good.

I went with some friends on a Friday lunch time I was not impressed at all, after my last experience some time ago, thought we would give it a try. The menu is very limited, either pizza, burgers or breakfasts.. Some sandwiches so I had the crispy buttered chicken, well there was a lot of overcooked crispy but not much chicken. My friend had a bacon sandwich and asked for some mushrooms on it but that would have been £2 extra!! Gave it a chance but wont be going again.

i totally agree with you, they need to sort something soon or it will go the way of the previous reincarnations, we have eaten twice here now but no more poor menu, poor staff training. we only go for a drink there now when the weather is nice to sit outside, otherwise we go to the Robin Hood.

i totally agree with you, they need to sort something soon or it will go the way of the previous reincarnations, we have eaten twice here now but no more poor menu, poor staff training. we only go for a drink there now when the weather is nice to sit outside, otherwise we go to the Robin Hood.

I ate there once and was not inspired enough to go again. I am disappointed about this as I really wanted it to be a success.

We've been twice now

Once for brunch which I have to say was very good, although service was quite slow and the. In again a few weeks later for dinner, and unfortunately dissapointing.

As already pointed out they have a very poor lunch menu, so being forced into it I had pizza which was uncooked in the middle when it eventually came out, however he had a burger and that was pretty good.

But doubt we'll be goin again when there are so many better places to eat in the city

Sand

I`m surprised because their other ventures seem to be so successful. I wonder if it will do better now the good weather is upon us and people visiting the park will eat and drink there.