Waggon & Horses, Millhouses

Crikey £9.00 for a full English , it's a bit steep but will try to see if the quality lives up to the price

At that price it better be lol, cheaper to get a ride down to the matket on the Moor, can't get better for £4.20

Why wouldn't it open at 8:30am? Look at their website, it says -

THE WAGGON & HORSES MILLHOUSES, SET TO OPEN DAILY FOR BREAKFAST FROM 8:30

https://www.thewaggonsheffield.co.uk/news/2017/2/24/the-waggon-horses-millhouses-set-to-open-daily-for-breakfast

I saw their website and they say they have brought 50+ jobs with further openings. 50 odd ! What do they all do ? It's a pub that serves food isn't it ?

Its main competitors will be the Robin Hood and the park cafe.

Regarding the Millhouses, which seems to have had a chequered career in recent years (as has the Waggon) it seemed to be doing good business last time I went in a few weeks ago. The food was good also.

It's a shame about the Beauchief. It used to be very good when the French couple Lemon were running it. It could probably very good again, with the right strategy and a major refurbishment.

It will take some time before we know if the new Waggon will be successful or not. I remember that both Pesto and the Flaming Grill were buzzing with customers in the first few weeks, as people visited out of curiosity and a willingness to try new things. However, this didn't last. I remember regularly driving past on week day nights and seeing rows of empty tables. I do however wish the new venture every success (I read the article in the Star about the new owner, who seems very determined and seems to know what he is doing).

Excusez-moi. Le nom est Limon.

Anyone popped in yet? Any comments?

Yeah. Popped in last night and done a blog bit about it. Nice. Not huge refurb really but ticks lots of boxes. Staff good. Busy.

I have now had a chance to visit and have a meal there, so here are my preliminary thoughts.

The makeover appears to have been a fairly light one, with no readily apparent structural changes, so you may not note a tremendous amount of difference as you walk in. However, it all looks very neat and tidy and there are some nice touches, including a large Waggon & Horses mural on the wall in the dining area.

The counter as you walk in now serves coffees and cakes, so they are obviously seeking to catch the Park trade.

The dining area is now clearly demarcated. It was full when I went in, so this aspect seems to be doing very well. The pub area looks similar to what it was before. There were not many drinkers when I visited one evening.

The menu is relatively small, but the food is good, although perhaps a tad pricey, but not excessively so. The staff were very attentive and enthusiastic. One little feature I liked is that all meal prices are designated in 'round pounds' (in other words, for example , £5 rather than £4.99).

I can't comment on the drinks served, as I don't drink.

I think that the success of this new venture will probably stand or fall on the dining experience (including the breakfast menu).

I remember that both Pesto and the Flaming Grill were full when they opened, this did not last. Perhaps the new Waggon will be different.

Edited by NigelFargate

Drinks-wise it`s OK. They have a small range of cask and keg beers plus a decent sized back bar including 30+ gins. I`m sure it will do well.

Drinks-wise it`s OK. They have a small range of cask and keg beers plus a decent sized back bar including 30+ gins. I`m sure it will do well.

I am not so sure. At the weekend, 'er indoors and me had a choice of the Robin Hood or the Waggon for an evening meal. We chose the Robin Hood, because we like some of the dishes they do and the place has a buzz about it. Of course, this is a personal preference and the Waggon may do better with drinks enthusiasts, but I can't see myself going there very often.

Is there a menu online ive been trying to look can't find one?