Waggon & Horses, Millhouses

We visited on Sunday and decided to have lunch. The food is value based and as long as your expectations are not too high then you'll enjoy your meal.

I had a burger and the GF had steak. My burger was cooked well, and the chips although obviously frozen were golden brown. The GF's steak was cooked correctly but as most steaks are served on a sizzling skillet I'd recommend asking for your steak to be cooked one under than you'd usually ask for as the hot skillet is continually cooking the meat.

The place itself has been nicely refurbished, the staff members seemed genuinely happy to be working there too.

Stefan, the only thing I found was strange was an interview for a kitchen member was taking place in the bar whilst we were eating. I'm not sure if this is usual pub practice but I did find it a little unprofessional, especially when salary was also mentioned.

Good luck for the future Stefan!

The menu is here: http://www.flaminggrillpubs.com/food/

Veggie options include:

Cauliflower Cheese Tart (v) (G) £5.99

Cauliflower and mature Cheddar encased in tomato shortcrust pastry, topped with melted mozzarella. Served with chips and a dressed† mixed leaf side salad

Three Bean Masala (v) (G) £5.79

A lightly-spiced creamy masala curry, served with yellow rice and a dressed† mixed leaf side salad

Chipotle Burrito (v) £5.99

Smokey chipotle bean chilli in a tortilla wrap, topped with spicy salsa, sour cream and guacamole. Served with nachos, rice and a dressed† mixed leaf side salad

Mozzarella & Pesto Burger (v) £4.49

A breaded mixed vegetable, mozzarella & pesto burger

Went in on Sunday Andy and the only options were the Burito and Mozzarella burger. Had the Son and Daughter in Law with their daughter come up from Nottingham so we thought we would give the Waggon a try.

The Son and Daughter in Law had the Mixed Grill and they said it was very nice and thier little girl had a pizza which she enjoyed.

My other half eats fish and had the scampi, about 6 bits of scampi and chips. I had the Mozzarella Burger and chips, Burger quite dry and had to put sauce on it and the few chips pretty tasteless, no salad.

Sorry Stefan but for the same price at the Woodseats Palace Weatherspoons last week I had a really nice Mexican Veggie Burger, with Onion Rings, Chips and a side salad plus a pint for virtualy the same price as your Burger. We will come in again as I like the pub and will try your food again but think you need to improve on your range for Veggies. Bob

I went one day last week and it was a mixed experience. Firstly, both waitresses that were on were fantastic, really pleasant and welcoming. I had a brief chat with Stefan and as others have said, he's a genuinely nice bloke. The food itself was generally fine. My daughter asked for a salad with her burger and it was pretty dire, as though someone had grabbed a handful of leaves from a 'mixed salad bag' and put them on the plate. No dressing, tomatoe, cucumber, etc. The other kid's meal didn't come with peas as requested so she pinched mine. My mixed grill was pretty decent; they manage to get a nice char on the meat and it was well cooked. After 20 minutes half the table was cleared but it was another 20 before the rest was. 2 ice cream deserts took around 40 minutes to arrive which was a little too long to put ice cream in a bowl but they were nicely made and the kids loved the boat wafer.

I'd certainly go back. I think they were having a delivery at the time was all was a bit chaotic - nothing that you couldn't pass off as teething problems. It's great to have a stroll around the park and then to nip in for some decently priced food of good quality. I think this place could be a stayer.

Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate you taking the time to post about your visit, it doesn't sound the best to be honest and I'm happy to hear you will comeback and try again.

Please private message me on here and next you come in I will compensate with a couple of free puddings for you having to wait so long for your ice-creams.

Hope to see you again soon!

Stefan.

---------- Post added 04-03-2014 at 13:13 ----------

We visited on Sunday and decided to have lunch. The food is value based and as long as your expectations are not too high then you'll enjoy your meal.

I had a burger and the GF had steak. My burger was cooked well, and the chips although obviously frozen were golden brown. The GF's steak was cooked correctly but as most steaks are served on a sizzling skillet I'd recommend asking for your steak to be cooked one under than you'd usually ask for as the hot skillet is continually cooking the meat.

The place itself has been nicely refurbished, the staff members seemed genuinely happy to be working there too.

Stefan, the only thing I found was strange was an interview for a kitchen member was taking place in the bar whilst we were eating. I'm not sure if this is usual pub practice but I did find it a little unprofessional, especially when salary was also mentioned.

Good luck for the future Stefan!

Thanks for the feedback I'm glad you had a good visit. In regards to the interview its a technique I prefer to do that makes the candidate more at ease than stuck in a tiny office feeling pressured, I apologise if you found it unprofessional I take your comments on board.

Say hello next time you call in!

Thanks, Stefan.

To be fair I have also seen interviews done like that elsewhere, so hardly a strange technique, Antics. Offices in pubs/bars/clubs are hardly conducive for interviewing! :D

Went in on Sunday Andy and the only options were the Burito and Mozzarella burger. Had the Son and Daughter in Law with their daughter come up from Nottingham so we thought we would give the Waggon a try.

The Son and Daughter in Law had the Mixed Grill and they said it was very nice and thier little girl had a pizza which she enjoyed.

My other half eats fish and had the scampi, about 6 bits of scampi and chips. I had the Mozzarella Burger and chips, Burger quite dry and had to put sauce on it and the few chips pretty tasteless, no salad.

Sorry Stefan but for the same price at the Woodseats Palace Weatherspoons last week I had a really nice Mexican Veggie Burger, with Onion Rings, Chips and a side salad plus a pint for virtualy the same price as your Burger. We will come in again as I like the pub and will try your food again but think you need to improve on your range for Veggies. Bob

Hi Bob, thank you for your comments.

The veggie range is small at the moment due to us launching on what is called a LITE menu.

This is a smaller version of our regular menu and around 5-10 of our 90 Flaming Grills are running on them currently.

After a new refurbishment places are generally launched on the LITE menu as it requires less equipment than a full menu does.

The full menu has an extensive menu and with the equipment we have currently we don't have the storage space to run the full menu, even with the smaller menu we are on now we are struggling for storage space. In the pipeline at the moment there are plans to build a big freezer on site due to the success we have had since opening, we are getting busier each day and the current storage space isn't sufficient to store that amount of food on site.

I expect in the next 6 months for us to be running on the full menu, which is without a doubt better than our menu currently.

Also I wish I could offer more options for vegetarians at the moment but with us being a brand it isn't down to me to choose or I would in an instant, I do agree the options aren't the best and it sounds as though your burger wasn't prepared correctly so I offer my apologies, and will throw you a portion of onions rings next time your in, but think they are there just to give a vegetarian option in a grill restaurant.

Once again hope this clears things up for you and thanks for the comments Bob.

Stefan.

stefan ,

popped in earlier for a quick pint, no problems for me but others were ordering drinks and the beer requested was off, another guy order a certain steak that was off, the girls are looking a little lost when greeting customers and there doesnt look to be a defined area for drinking and one for dining? is that the idea? as if it is it needs something to tell people which side is which, also the method of ordering is not very clear, maybe a sign?, i also watched some of the food coming out it didnt look very exciting, no garnish certainly on the burgers just a plate of yellow orange food, it would be very easy and very cheap to jazz the plates up, us simple folks round here like a bit of jazz, i know its easy to sit there and criticize but i like the pub and want it to work, mainly cos its nice to sit outside in the summer in the evening sun on the front, used to go when it was pesto and before, personally i think you might just survive here if you do it right

stefan ,

popped in earlier for a quick pint, no problems for me but others were ordering drinks and the beer requested was off, another guy order a certain steak that was off, the girls are looking a little lost when greeting customers and there doesnt look to be a defined area for drinking and one for dining? is that the idea? as if it is it needs something to tell people which side is which, also the method of ordering is not very clear, maybe a sign?, i also watched some of the food coming out it didnt look very exciting, no garnish certainly on the burgers just a plate of yellow orange food, it would be very easy and very cheap to jazz the plates up, us simple folks round here like a bit of jazz, i know its easy to sit there and criticize but i like the pub and want it to work, mainly cos its nice to sit outside in the summer in the evening sun on the front, used to go when it was pesto and before, personally i think you might just survive here if you do it right

You know the saying............."you either have or you haven't got style".

.. but suppose it comes at a price?..........not critic of your post, but loads of us watch all the cooking programs on TV and then go to the local pub or Restaurant and expect something resembling similar for a fiver?

Edited by mossdog

I am echoing what one or two others have been saying. I appreciate that this is part of a chain and you are limited as to what you can do Stefan.

But. Given that salad stuff isn't that expensive - a few bags of prepared leaves, some sliced or diced fresh peppers, grated carrot, tomatoes (cherry tomatoes don't age as sliced ones do) etc. would trim up plates reasonable cheaply and cheerily. If chef is more careful in preparing the salad and doesn't add any dressing until serving it wouldn't look as unappetising. Cucumber ages awfully quickly when chopped :(

Just a suggestion :)

I am echoing what one or two others have been saying. I appreciate that this is part of a chain and you are limited as to what you can do Stefan.

But. Given that salad stuff isn't that expensive - a few bags of prepared leaves, some sliced or diced fresh peppers, grated carrot, tomatoes (cherry tomatoes don't age as sliced ones do) etc. would trim up plates reasonable cheaply and cheerily. If chef is more careful in preparing the salad and doesn't add any dressing until serving it wouldn't look as unappetising. Cucumber ages awfully quickly when chopped :(

Just a suggestion :)

Absolutely!!.........most places do not understand salads,that's because the staff generally were brought up in this country with,....ie, tasteless tomatoes, old cucumber and sad lettuce, about the limit of imagination,till they went abroad.

We need to understand in this country that sidesalads are not to be a throwaway item but just as important as the main item on the plate...........oh! why do i bother? after all this is Britain.

Edited by mossdog

You know the saying............."you either have or you haven't got style".

.. but suppose it comes at a price?..........not critic of your post, but loads of us watch all the cooking programs on TV and then go to the local pub or Restaurant and expect something resembling similar for a fiver?

i do have some experience in this dept and its not hard or expensive to make a plate look appetizing even a nod to the 70,s with a sprig of flat leaf parsley is better than nothing.

I have given it a second go. I'm sorry to say I can see the same mistakes been made. No defined dining or drinking area, lack of atmosphere and mediocre food that looks boring on the presentation front. Sorry Stefan but that is my honest opinion. I want it to work, but it seriously needs tweeking. I might pop in for a drink again but I won't have anything to eat as I don't rate it. I can get better at the Robin Hood, I'm sorry to say, for the same price and better presentation.

Forget all the, "I only go out once a year brigade when the weather is nice in the park". You need to appeal to those that drink and eat out regularly. You don't even need to break the bank to make the food look interesting.

It's early days, but you need to move fast, as once the novelty wears off, it'll struggle.

I have given it a second go. I'm sorry to say I can see the same mistakes been made. No defined dining or drinking area, lack of atmosphere and mediocre food that looks boring on the presentation front. Sorry Stefan but that is my honest opinion. I want it to work, but it seriously needs tweeking. I might pop in for a drink again but I won't have anything to eat as I don't rate it. I can get better at the Robin Hood, I'm sorry to say, for the same price and better presentation.

Forget all the, "I only go out once a year brigade when the weather is nice in the park". You need to appeal to those that drink and eat out regularly. You don't even need to break the bank to make the food look interesting.

It's early days, but you need to move fast, as once the novelty wears off, it'll struggle.

Hi Verona,

Tried to private message you but your inbox is full, could you give me a call for quick chat? 01142361451 Thanks, Stefan.

---------- Post added 06-03-2014 at 22:16 ----------

stefan ,

Thanks for the feedback, the beer that had just gone off was a cask ale so can't switch it over in an instant. The steak that was out is simply because we have no space to store the current amount of food we are selling! We have had to have an additional delivery date added due to the amount of food we are selling and are also having extra storage room built behind the scenes so we can keep more food onsite, its the first time we have run out of an important item and currently due to storage restrictions I cant guarantee it wont happen again, theres only so much food we can keep on site and once its all gone I can't help but apologise until our next delivery/when our new storage is built.

The girls seemed a little lost? Could you expand on this please? Would help greatly with our training needs and to help coach them aswell.

I fully take on board the garnish on the burgers, but I can't change this as it is brand standard unfortunatley, the burgers do come with lettuce and tomato but indeed you are correct, just served with chips.

Once again thank you for the comment, Stefan.

Edited by StefanFGrill