Waggon & Horses, Millhouses

Well pretty sure the pub co made it all but impossible for the couple who had it a few years ago who tried really hard but they had to charge from £3.30 for lager where as the Robin Hood Ember Inn down the road charged under £2 and had a bigger choice of beers so people went there.

The last people were even more expensive.

You might want to have a look at the Robin Hood down the road not really my type of pub but the food and beer is very competitively priced and they are well established and popular and I also suspect its had a fair bit spent on it over the years as the inside is fitted out to a pretty high standard.

Edited by Fudbeer

Well pretty sure the pub co made it all but impossible for the couple who had it a few years ago who tried really hard but they had to charge from £3.30 for lager where as the Robin Hood Ember Inn down the road charged under £2 and had a bigger choice of beers so people went there.

The last people were even more expensive.

You might want to have a look at the Robin Hood down the road not really my type of pub but the food and beer is very competitively priced and they are well established and popular and I also suspect its had a fair bit spent on it over the years as the inside is fitted out to a pretty high standard.

Hi Fudbeer, I actually have already been to the Robin Hood and as you say its really nicely fitted inside which is quite deceiving as the outside looks rather old and withered, but have to say hats off to them because I did have a really nice meal with good service and it will indeed be our main competitor with it being so close and with it being a pub chain also.

Thanks for the advice anyway it all helps.

---------- Post added 12-01-2014 at 01:10 ----------

Awful bog standard pubco food and the manager will only have in the pub what Spirit allow him to have. I hate these companies taking on pubs and spoiling them.

I can understand your frustration but surely its better be open and a choice wether it not be to your liking, as opposed to being closed like it is now?

Stefan

There's not just the Robin Hood as competition. There's also the Beauchief, Rising Sun, Wheatsheaf and of course McDonalds.

I too have been to the pub at Ridgeway many years ago and to be honest didn't enjoy it, mainly because the atmosphere wasn't conducive to a civilised dining experience.

Good luck in your venture. I'll give it a go once you're open.

Edited by Jon26
Added "ago".

This pub should be one of the profitable in the City. Sat on the edge of the best park in the City, great catchment area, on a busy road. and relatively chav free.

Is there any way of opening the back of the pub up, to the Park. To be able to have a few pints, sat outside, whist the kids play in the park would turn it into a gold mine.

I don't think the back of the pub can be opened up as the rear houses the kitchen, store room and car park. The bottom bar has a large chimney stack that would need to be completely removed. The only place you could do it would be in the top dinning room but it would have to be an elevated balcony approximately 15 feet off the ground, costing a small fortune and not really practical. If you actually go round the back, there is no actual view of the park because of all the shrubbery and trees. Even if it could be done and you got rid of the car park, the trees would need shopping down, and I can't see the park doing that.

Also look at The Broadfield.

A run down tired old pub that now seems to be thriving under the new management and refurbishing.

Good choice of ales, damn good food and a nice atmosphere.

Went in last Thursday afternoon and it was really busy even then.

Also look at The Broadfield.

A run down tired old pub that now seems to be thriving under the new management and refurbishing.

Good choice of ales, damn good food and a nice atmosphere.

Went in last Thursday afternoon and it was really busy even then.

Love the Broadfield, in fact I like all of their pubs, The York, Old House etc..I'm surprised someone like them or Thornbridge aren't interested in the Waggon. Maybe they might take the Cherry Tree.

Exactly what this area doesn't need. Look at pubs which do well in the area - good beer and good food prevail. £5 steaks aren't high on anyone's list of priorities. Unfortunately, I can only see this bringing the chavvy sorts to Millhouses.

its a shame Pesto didnt make the grade, too much dining area and not enough for a casual drink, used to enjoy sitting outside with a glass or two of vino or a beer with some nibbles in the sun.

if the new operation listens to people, good quality food not cheap" 2 for a tenner" garbage and a seperate drinking area on the right as you go in and it might just work.

When Cath was the Land Lady, she left several years ago but it had a great atmosphere, the food was OK!, but not always fantastic a little hit and miss!! But the balance between Pub and Food was great and for regulars and walk-ins she had it spot on.

The Landlords after Cath were useless, unfriendly and the food was horrible it was as thigh they wanted to turn it into a Football pub, and it's gone down hill since!!

What it needs is that Family feel for the passing trade, comfort for those who enjoy a traditional pub and a really good mix of regular and Premium Lagers, Beers, Wines and Spirits (vodka & lager for us) just like the selection at the Prince of Wales, on Eccelsall Road. It would be nice for my Partner and I to be able to go somewhere close by (Walking Distance) without having to go to Eccelsall Road or Town to get a quality range of Drink and food and it needs to be somewhere you don't feel uncomfortable walking into with a relaxed un rushed feeling.....I have spoken to lots of the new generation couples in the Area and it's a must for good food and mix of regular and premium drinks, somewhere you can have a good Friday Night and a chilled out relaxing Saturday Day after taking the kids and dogs in the park.

Also allowing dogs on their lead in the non food area would also be beneficial too those of us who don't have kids yet.

If I was fortunate enough to buy this place this is what I would do, and after spending hours in there and knowing the passing trade and regulars I know this would be a success!!!

Hope this helps and Good Luck and see you soon. X

---------- Post added 12-01-2014 at 21:11 ----------

Defiantly need to listen to what the customer wants, that's where the others have gone wrong!!!

---------- Post added 12-01-2014 at 21:14 ----------

Exactly what this area doesn't need. Look at pubs which do well in the area - good beer and good food prevail. £5 steaks aren't high on anyone's list of priorities. Unfortunately, I can only see this bringing the chavvy sorts to Millhouses.

I agree it Needs to go upper market and not down market, cheaper food isn't to bad, so long as it's not cheap alcohol too. It's all about the right balance.

A 'flaming grill' pub is a completely misjudged venture, it will undoubtedly be rubbish, with the 'food' mass produced in some unit on a trading estate in Essex or somewhere, shipped out and reheated on the premises, while the customers numb their expectations with overpriced, low quality beer.

A 'flaming grill' pub is a completely misjudged venture, it will undoubtedly be rubbish, with the 'food' mass produced in some unit on a trading estate in Essex or somewhere, shipped out and reheated on the premises, while the customers numb their expectations with overpriced, low quality beer.

You've summed it up perfectly there mate.

There are plenty of lovely Sheffield beers eg abbeydale, kelham, bradfield. My favourite is farmers blonde.

Farmers Blonde is a great session beer, so is Moonshine be it many landlords admit its more difficult to keep. Chantry (Rotherham) and Double Top(Worksop) are churning out some good beers too.

Good luck to the place.

Edited by POUNDSWORTH