Waggon & Horses, Millhouses

'Flaming Grill' eh? 'Carling on tap', 4500 calorie burger, it always comes down to the lowest common denominator in the end, round here!

whats that people enjoying themselves

How can anyone think eating a 4500 calorie burger is a good idea? Should be classed as self harm in my opinion. But hey whatever floats your boat.

whats that people enjoying themselves

Oh well if people are 'enjoying' themselves it must be beyond criticism. What an absolutely bizarre position to take!

Some regular local beers:

Bradfield, Farmers Blonde

Abbeydale, Deception

Kelham Island, Pale Rider

Sheffield, Blanco Blonde

Sheffield, Crucible Bitter

Brew Company, Hop Monster

Barlow, Carnival Ale

Barlow, Three Valleys IPA

Thornbridge, Kipling

Peak Ales, Chatsworth Gold

RAW, Blonde

Blue Bee, Lustin For Stout

Blue Bee, Nectar Pale

Acorn, Barnsley Bitter

Toolmakers, Ripsaw

Harthill Village, Hart Stopper

Chantry, New York Pale

---------- Post added 11-01-2014 at 14:32 ----------

How can anyone think eating a 4500 calorie burger is a good idea? Should be classed as self harm in my opinion. But hey whatever floats your boat.

as long as it isn't on a regular basis...

Edited by Andy C

Craft Beers (as opposed to just Real Ale) is really fashionable at the moment and people will travel right across the city for a pub that sells decent beer. If I was opening the Waggon & Horses I'd be selling these and maybe even having a microbrewery on site.

The Waggon & Horses used to be where all the affluent young adults from the surrounding areas would go and was always packed. The more down market it's gone the worse it's done, so talk of 4500 calorie burgers and tribute bands don't really sound likely to succeed.

The idea of opening the pub up at the back and encouraging park visitors in for a pint and some food would definitely be a winner on the summer weekends and evenings.

I don't live far from here and what the area lacks is a decent honest pub. They're all bloody Ember Inns or similar. The closest one that's a real pub is the Banner Cross.

Edited by Nagel

Craft Beers (as opposed to just Real Ale) is really fashionable at the moment and people will travel right across the city for a pub that sells decent beer. If I was opening the Waggon & Horses I'd be selling these and maybe even having a microbrewery on site.

The Waggon & Horses used to be where all the affluent young adults from the surrounding areas would go and was always packed. The more down market it's gone the worse it's done, so talk of 4500 calorie burgers and tribute bands don't really sound likely to succeed.

The idea of opening the pub up at the back and encouraging park visitors in for a pint and some food would definitely be a winner on the summer weekends and evenings.

I don't live far from here and what the area lacks is a decent honest pub. They're all bloody Ember Inns or similar. The closest one that's a real pub is the Banner Cross.

Unfortunately Flaming Grill is a national pub chain. If you want to experience one locally try the Ridgeway Arms at Mosborough.

http://www.flaminggrillpubs.com/pub/ridgeway-arms-mosborough-sheffield/m6980/

Unfortunately Flaming Grill is a national pub chain. If you want to experience one locally try the Ridgeway Arms at Mosborough.

http://www.flaminggrillpubs.com/pub/ridgeway-arms-mosborough-sheffield/m6980/

Oh, I've been past there. Not my kind of place at all, but it obviously appeals to others as it's been there a long time and must be successful.

I'll have to dream on for a decent pub in my area...

I was hoping for something like the Barley Mow in Kirk Ireton.

Edited by Nagel

Stefan, whilst I think it's great you've come on the forum to sound things out I can't help thinking that a Flaming Grill chain pub is not going to be the best use of the W&H. As others have said, what would work here is good quality real ales in a pub style setting and, if offering food, then a separate dining area offering high quality freshly cooked food, ideally sourced from local produce.

Unfortunately I'm guessing you are going to be tied into selling a restricted range of pubco beers and won't be able to offer any of the ales such as Andy C has listed above which is a real shame. Pubs that can offer such a range are the ones that seem to do well in Sheffield. And there are a number of upmarket restaurants further up Abbeydale Road that do well which goes to show that people are prepared to pay for quality food in the locale.

I do agree though with the idea others have mentioned of opening out the rear to have a beer garden / seating area facing onto the park would be a winner.

Andy I can assure you that even though it is a national pub chain that each location has its own individual personality and I hope that a lot of you who do pop in when will do open will be pleasantly surprised with how we operate.

Last year in national awards Flaming Grill won brand of the year 2013 so please don't let the thought of it been just another 'pub chain' local put you off. I cant say too much in regards to cask or beer at the moment as we are in the real early stages of planning but will update regularly so you all know what to expect!

Oh and on the subject of the 4500 calorie burger, its called the challenge burger and is a huge talking point in the current pub I'm in at the moment. If completed you have a picture taken and a certificate and people have travelled for miles just to have a go at it, its really good value aswell with the price here being £9.99 for what is just over 1kg of meat on the burger.

Thanks again, Stefan.

---------- Post added 11-01-2014 at 17:44 ----------

Stefan, whilst I think it's great you've come on the forum to sound things out I can't help thinking that a Flaming Grill chain pub is not going to be the best use of the W&H. As others have said, what would work here is good quality real ales in a pub style setting and, if offering food, then a separate dining area offering high quality freshly cooked food, ideally sourced from local produce.

Unfortunately I'm guessing you are going to be tied into selling a restricted range of pubco beers and won't be able to offer any of the ales such as Andy C has listed above which is a real shame. Pubs that can offer such a range are the ones that seem to do well in Sheffield. And there are a number of upmarket restaurants further up Abbeydale Road that do well which goes to show that people are prepared to pay for quality food in the locale.

I do agree though with the idea others have mentioned of opening out the rear to have a beer garden / seating area facing onto the park would be a winner.

I can totally agree with you in regards to the beer aspect of things as a pub chain we are normally limited in regards to what I can offer, but having the opportunity to speak with a few of you guys on here can help in my case in regards to getting those local beers in stock.

People do pay good money for good locally sourced food no doubt, but Flaming Grill is more good food and drink at a great value which will appeal to a different audience of people also.

Just a quick thank you to everyone so far, the feedback you have being giving me is great and I really appreciate it.

Oh and on the subject of the 4500 calorie burger, its called the challenge burger and is a huge talking point in the current pub I'm in at the moment. If completed you have a picture taken and a certificate and people have travelled for miles just to have a go at it, its really good value aswell with the price here being £9.99 for what is just over 1kg of meat on the burger.

Are you allowed to order the 4500 calorie burger with three extra plates? That way you could share it with friends and family, splitting it four ways to make a reasonable portion :)

Are you allowed to order the 4500 calorie burger with three extra plates? That way you could share it with friends and family, splitting it four ways to make a reasonable portion :)

Nice try, but I think you'll find that the whole thing is a challenge, otherwise what is the point?

Awful bog standard pubco food and the manager will only have in the pub what Spirit allow him to have. I hate these companies taking on pubs and spoiling them.