Dronfield Bypass - roadworks

Thanks, just a week and a bit to go then!

I should, it drives me nuts! To explain, in the Netherlands the government ran a very successful campaign about merging - inventing the word 'ritsen' ie. zipping like you do a zipper up. People there now know that they will get the room required to merge into the other lane or to give the room required in an orderly fashion and it has made a huge difference to lane closure situations like this.

Even in your beloved Holland, 2 lanes @ 70mph going down to 1 lane @ 30mph will always result in a tailback.

Gross exaggeration of the problem.

There is ample signage warning of a lane merger that allows the traffic to progress smoothly and safely.

Also, the reduction of speed to 30 mph does allow for traffic to keep moving at the same maximum speed allowed as approaching the Meadowhead roundabout.

Really, this is a minor alteration for a temporary period.

Finally, it simply is not true that 'everyone'responds in the same manner or that braking is maniacal. I am unaware of the road becoming at all dangerous or has seen an increase in accidents. It hasn't. Neither is it a disruption. It simply equates with a slower approach to the roundabout but there are two lanes open making the approach as normal.

There is ample signage warning of a lane merger that allows the traffic to progress smoothly and safely.

Also, the reduction of speed to 30 mph does allow for traffic to keep moving at the same maximum speed allowed as approaching the Meadowhead roundabout.

Really, this is a minor alteration for a temporary period.

Finally, it simply is not true that 'everyone'responds in the same manner or that braking is maniacal. I am unaware of the road becoming at all dangerous or has seen an increase in accidents. It hasn't. Neither is it a disruption. It simply equates with a slower approach to the roundabout but there are two lanes open making the approach as normal.

Absolutely, for the sake of five minutes! I use this route selectively depending on my destination in Sheffield and have not seen it as a problem.

Does anybody know what works are taking place under the Dronfield Bypass and when they finish?

That bit alone costs me 5 minutes to get home on most nights, not to mention the fact that EVERYBODY piles into the right hand lane at first sight of the yellow roadwork signs and then slams on their brakes like maniacs leading to frequent head/tail incidents...

Also - any viable alternatives? Tried the Newbold to Dore route once and that is tedious... almost tempted to try and find a route through the East of the A61 but really don't know that area at all?

really?? 5 mins is that all:roll: go through Unstone and Dronfield instead then its about the same time, although i never have a problem even at rush hour, slight exaggeration here i think:roll:

Are those roadworks really still there? They've been there for at least a year, and I've never actually seen a soul working there.

As others stated, you could go via Unstone and Dronfield but it would take much longer than the five minutes you'd save.

Are those roadworks really still there? They've been there for at least a year, and I've never actually seen a soul working there.

As others stated, you could go via Unstone and Dronfield but it would take much longer than the five minutes you'd save.

They work at night, I have seen them plenty of times.

Absolutely, for the sake of five minutes! I use this route selectively depending on my destination in Sheffield and have not seen it as a problem.

really?? 5 mins is that all:roll: go through Unstone and Dronfield instead then its about the same time, although i never have a problem even at rush hour, slight exaggeration here i think:roll:

Ah yes, the non-peak time users need to have a say as well. Thanks fellas, very useful.

That bit alone costs me 5 minutes to get home on most nights

5 mins??!??? You serious?

Whats 5 mins? Sitting at two red lights?

First World Problem

Edited by paulhodgkins

5 mins??!??? You serious?

Whats 5 mins? Sitting at two red lights?

First World Problem

Ah another regular Bypass user, as evident by your comment about red lights.

Ah another regular Bypass user, as evident by your comment about red lights.

Your arrogance belies your ignorance.

There is no big deal in passing those roadworks other than a minor frustration.

Having started a thread on a petty whim, you are like a dog with a bone.

Depending on your starting point and destination, there is no alternative that will significantly alter your journey time.

Accept it and move on.

Ah yes, the non-peak time users need to have a say as well. Thanks fellas, very useful.

Very assumptive response there. I travel all over the UK for my work and I use the bypass at peak times. Get a life.

30 mph? I use the bypass twice a week, albeit outside peak times, and I seem to be the only person that slows down to 30 mph going through. If speed restrictions are merely a way of raising revenue, as alleged by some, then this would be an ideal opportunity.