Dame Grace Tebbutt

Hi

I recently started a family tree and Dame Grace Tebbutt born Mellar is a relative. She was Sheffield's first female Alderman (Lord Mayor)

I wonder if anyone out there has any information on her or her family, her husband was Frank Tebbutt, both were involved with Sheffield Clarion Club, being live in stewards at the hut.

I have drawn a blank on Google apart from a few articles about the Clarion and her being Lord Mayor.

I believe her Mother was Ellinor Mellar b1867 but I have no Father. They had a daughter called Irene. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Hi andyb - just looking at public records, I couldn't find any record of an Elinor Mellar born in 1867, but I wonder if Grace Mellar was actually the one who was born in Sheffield in Jan-Mar 1893 and turns up in the 1901 census return with her parents Alfred Mellar and Elizabeth, née Percival? There is a record of a Grace Tebbutt, born 5 January 1893, who died aged 90 in Sheffield in Apr-Jun 1983. Kelly's directories from c. 1940 to 1955 show "Frank Tebbutt, boiler maker" at 106 Greenhill Avenue, S8. A number of articles can be found in the local press in the 1920s/30s that mention Alderman Grace Tebbutt. None are very informative regarding her life but here is a scan from the Sheffield Daily Independent of 11 March 1938.

First of Hillsbro thanks the the rapid reply, I am afraid I made a keyboard error on the birth year of Ellinor it's 1857 and the maiden name is Barton. I have the line going back several generations. My great grandmother was a Barton and Ellinor was her sister. Father was Samuel b1837 mother Maria (Unknown female) I have the line back 8 generations now, hailing originally from Norfolk but this is a stopper for me.

I work shifts so it's hard to get to Sheffield Archives.

Thanks for your help!

---------- Post added 10-01-2017 at 19:28 ----------

By the way 1983 is the year of death I have for my Grace Tebbutt but I have nothing more other than a nice photo of her in her Mayoral gowns

Hillsbro

Thanks for the link, the search continues!

Andy

Hi andyb 

Grace Tebbutt was my great grandmother. Irene being my grandmother. I don’t know if it helps your tree because I don’t know anything further back than Grace. She died when I was in school and all I remember of her is that she was blind at the time of her death. Her DBA certificate was proudly hung in my grandmother’s living room. 

andy

1939 register, 106 Greenhill Avenue, Sheffield.

Frank Tebbutt, born 16 Feb 1888, Boilersmith, married.

Grace Tebbutt, born 5 Jan 1893, domestic duties, married.

Albert Castleton, born 4 Jan 1909, Saw maker, circular saw, married.

Irene Castleton, born 12 July 1914, domestic duties, married.

I feel sure that one of the few remaining Mayoral trees planted each year in Graves Park in the 50s and 60s is one planted by Grace Tebbutt.  Sadly even though some trees survive, the brass plates on the concrete pillars have mostly been stolen. I feel sure Grace Tebbutt's is still there not far from the tennis courts on the Meadowhead approach.   In the days when The Star and The Sheffield Telegraph followed the City Council (a.k.a. Sheffield Corporation) much more closely than they can be bothered these days, Grace's name was in almost every edition, along with the likes of Syd Dyson, Keeble Hawson, Jack Worrall, the Hattersley's,  and the other stalwarts of The Town Hall.

In those days Civic Pride was so evident you could almost reach out and touch it.........

I have just been contacted by a friend from our street reunion group  "The Fentonvillains" who reminds me that Grace Tebbutt was related to no less than three families who lived in three separate houses on Fentonville St, Sharrow, in the post-war years (and probably long before that). They were all called Barton but we have no idea of their relationship status....brothers, sisters, cousins etc.  The Bartons who lived nearest to me at Number 46 were an elderly couple and their son. Father and son ran a painting and decorating business. They were the only people on our side of the street to have a phone and were very kind in allowing other folk to use it. That might mean there is an entry in an old phone book somewhere.   Good luck!