Why do Sheffield people pronounce Greenhill, as "Grenill"?

============================================================================================================

How kind of you to remind us of your total lack of humour and your psychotic pomposity. I suggest that you go back to the posts before yours and note the casual humour with which the thread was being treated.

Then you came.

As you did before on the 'Sheffield Accent' thread waving your arms and proclaiming your total lack of accent.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT NOBODY GIVES A FLYING FIG WHETHER YOU HAVE AN ACCENT OR NOT. Least of all me.

Least of all you? Funny that you're dedicating so much time over the issue then.

I came along in this thread just to answer the question. I didn't deny whether or not I have a Sheffield accent (which is irrelevant). I just denied the assumption that people from Sheffield say "Grenill" - as my poll proved, this is, more often than not, not the case. I did this in direct response to the thread title, not in the context of any other "humourous" posts.

If I have lost the plot, you never had it in the first place.

You put great reliance in the hope that your insults and innacuracies will go unnoticed or that people will not bother referring back to earlier posts. Perhaps you think that we ALL have chips on our shoulders. Why not commission a poll on what people think of you and your bull****?

Which insults? Which "innacuracies" [sic]? Ok, you got me over the spelling of "afterall" (although your English, as shown with your attempt to spell "inaccuracies", is far from perfect). Please quote me directly to any insults you think I've made in this thread, and then I can at least address the issues. Vague (and untruthful) accusations spell desperation.

I have NEVER CALLED YOU A SNOB.

I said that 'SOME PEOPLE WILL PRONOUNCE THEIR PLACE-NAME AS POSHLY AS POSSIBLE IN ORDER TO APPEAR HIGHER STATUS'.

However, if the cap fits, feel free to wear it.

Haven't you? What about "and possibly some medical help regarding removing heads from arseholes!" and "disagreeably pompous", along with a string of other empty insults?

Ask yourself

WHY you are so eager to deny having a trace of northern accent.

I'm not - I'm just in the MAJORITY of Sheffielders who pronounce Greenhill how it's spelt.

WHY you display such a desperate need to be 'RIGHT'.

I'm not - I've not ONCE in this whole thread said which way is "right" or "wrong" - you're the one convinced that you're in the right.

WHY you need to be, 'in with a young, 'GreenHill' majority'.

I don't - the poll just proved my point nicely, that the "old" pronunciation is becoming archaic and perhaps, just maybe, people shouldn't have accused me of lying when I said I'd heard no-one ever pronounce it as "Grenill".

WHY you initiate frivolous polls when you must know that accurate polls are based on parameters that you have not begun to meet.

Because even a simplistic, unscientific and unrepresentative poll is a stronger basis for an argument than what you've offered - i.e. nothing, other than your say-so.

WHY so many people have come to seriously disagree with you and continue to do so.

Who cares? It's usually a case of the vocal minority - as was proved by the poll, which showed a vast majority actually agreed with me.

Nor did I ever say that one pronunciation was better or worse than another.

No, but you've shown a negative attitude to the notion that people "dare" to pronounce it as "Green-hill", i.e. they MUST be being snobby then.

By the way, where did you say you come from?

Sheffield.

Can I have the number for your taxi firm, please, cos If you are only charging £4.20, for a four and a half mile journey, I'd like to use your company in preference to the company I currently use, whose charges are £4.20 for a journey of 1.6-2.0 miles, (a four and a half mile journey with my firm would be approx £7.20, depending on the exact milage:- I dread to think what it'd be in a black-cab, on a meter... :o )

PT

Whirlow Brook Hall to Beauchief Hotel is between 1.6 and 2.0miles, so 4.20 is correct...

sorry, that's speed reading for you! beg puddin, I read it as from the station to Beauchief, which is 4.5 ish miles. excusez moi!

t020... you aren't necessarily in a majority, the only majority is only amongst those who answered the poll.

In your poll, you did not poll every member on here, let alone all of the residents of sheffield.

fifty or so out of a total of 27,000 members is a pretty poor sample. (tries to calculate the percentage... two-thousandths of the membership of SF, give or take, that's 0.002% whew, huge!

fifty out of the approximately half a million residents of Sheffield... that's even less:- one one-hundred-thousandth, (again, to the rough figures)

your demographics and sample size are far too small to crow about, really.

PT

sorry, need to add, that the sample taken in t020's poll is not necessarily accurate, because we don't know how truthfully the questions were answered, folk may have answered contrarily, (In whichever direction) out of mischief.

PT

sorry, need to add, that the sample taken in t020's poll is not necessarily accurate, because we don't know how truthfully the questions were answered, folk may have answered contrarily, (In whichever direction) out of mischief.

PT

Yes, but as I said, despite being an unscientific and potentially unrepresentative poll, it's still more evidence than anything "your" side of the argument has to offer. My own life experience of never having heard anyone say Greenhill as "Grenill", coupled with a (unscientific and potentially unrepresentative) poll showing 2:1 Sheffield people say Greenhill over "Grenill" and 3:1 non-locals do the same, leads me to believe that I'm in the majority. I'm sorry if this "offends"... certain.... people, not mentioning any names.

as I said above, no, all it shows is that out of quite miniscule numbers of the people who answered the poll, agree, not that everyone agrees.

I did the maths about what a small proportion of respondents there were. too small a sample to base the results on.

PT

as I said above, no, all it shows is that out of quite miniscule numbers of the people who answered the poll, agree, not that everyone agrees.

I did the maths about what a small proportion of respondents there were. too small a sample to base the results on.

PT

I never said "everyone" agrees - please don't misquote me. I said I was in the majority based on the poll (which I undeniably am) and based on my own life experiences. You keep making the point about how small the poll was, but I'll say again, it's more evidence than anything to come from your side of the argument, which seems to be based entirely on a cosy, rose-tinted and out dated view of how people in Sheffield should speak, rather than recognising that such pronunciations (as with "thee", "thou", etc) are becoming increasingly archaic. If you want to spend thousands on an entirely representative poll based on a significant proportion of Sheffield, just to prove my point, go ahead.

Guest Pauly

This thread is SO boring. I just unsubscribed from it. :roll:

most sheffielders shorten words and use slang thats a reason why and also it did used to be called grenill if anyone didnt know lol !

most sheffielders shorten words and use slang thats a reason why and also it did used to be called grenill if anyone didnt know lol !

But the evidence suggests that most Sheffielders say "Greenhill" not "Grenill". Also, what it used to be called is an irrelevance - language changes over time, and this includes place names.

the grennel moore is named after the blokes who use to cut the meadow in the pastures a very very long time a go, if you go into the pub up on grenhill you will see a plaque inside the pub telling you the story of how the grennel moore got its name, I use to see this everyday as the grennel moore use to be my local when I lived up there all them years ago. I also believe that the sycthes what they use to us to cut the meadow was called a grennel in the olden days and so this is one belief that is where the name came from moore being the hill on which the grass grew and grennel the name of the blade what cut it down, so thats how the grennel moore came about. it the same as beauchief when I lived up there on lowedges I had a mate a rather posh chap who lived in the houses on bocking lane, i would call beauchief as it is spelt be he would call it bowchief but then snobs cant say words properly with out moving the plum in there gob, everything as to be said rather posh oh thank god I am not a snob and I talk broad yorkshire with my words of thee and thow and now then thee, posh people dont like yorkshire men who talk the yorkshire dialect we are commoners to them.

LOL

toddster got told!!! :thumbsup:

anyone remember that guys name on masterchef? who thought he talked all prim and proper.... called it "queens english"

but actually he sounded like a complete and utter ****

I hate the way posh people seem to think they talk "proper" - what is the proper way to talk, is there a proper way to talk? Surely boundaries make it very hard to define what is actually "proper english"

?